• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I don't know how pitch preparation goes, and it looks like it's going to get some sun over the next 48 hours...but surely there's a school of thought that we pick our best seamer bowlers, even if they're not quick, given the amount of moisture under the surface. Does Tickner hit the strings? Does Duffy?
Looking at the deck, I'd say 4 fast bowlers and Bracewell. Just hope our guys can score some runs in particular Conway and Kane. Everything rests on those two with the bat. The rest of them are just massive hit and miss.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pity Will Williams didn't stick around for one more year. With his skill set and birth date he'd be a shoe-in for Thursday.

Flem274*

123/5
To me, with the hardship this side is facing now, Boult should stand up and make himself available.

This side made him who he is. It allowed him to make the millions, to travel the world, to cut his contract this year and make more + be at home...and now he is home, there's a Test down the road, and he should play in it. He'll want to play the World Cup later this year, so maybe it's only fair that he stumps up for a week and plays when we're in desperate need.

Golden opportunity for a player to show his loyalty.
100%

I know our guys earn less than Big 3 scum, but that won't be changing. Tbh they could do with some serious perspective over their NZC contracts. Six figures before match fees and a rinky dink 6 week annual holiday in India puts them in the top 5% of earners in NZ and 0.1% of job satisfaction. You get paid big dollars to play catch for a living.

It should seriously be a thing that all U19 players across every sport are thrown in the most dreary job imaginable for at least a year on **** all in a high rent city like Auckland. Maybe it would cut down on the number of 35 year old man babies professional sport produces.

They're so bloody lucky to have the talents they do and the least Boult could do is help the team who gave him everything out in an injury crisis.

Fair enough to anyone who takes the most dollars, I'd find it hard to say no too, but let's not ever sugarcoat what it is if a player is in their prime (Guptill conning the BBL for 20k per run is to be applauded).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
100%

I know our guys earn less than Big 3 scum, but that won't be changing. Tbh they could do with some serious perspective over their NZC contracts. Six figures before match fees and a rinky dink 6 week annual holiday in India puts them in the top 5% of earners in NZ and 0.1% of job satisfaction. You get paid big dollars to play catch for a living.

It should seriously be a thing that all U19 players across every sport are thrown in the most dreary job imaginable for at least a year on **** all in a high rent city like Auckland. Maybe it would cut down on the number of 35 year old man babies professional sport produces.

They're so bloody lucky to have the talents they do and the least Boult could do is help the team who gave him everything out in an injury crisis.

Fair enough to anyone who takes the most dollars, I'd find it hard to say no too, but let's not ever sugarcoat what it is if a player is in their prime (Guptill conning the BBL for 20k per run is to be applauded).
Unfortunately Kyle Jamieson's recent experience is likely to get younger players thinking otherwise. Turned down easy IPL dosh to focus on improving himself in tests. Now facing a very uncertain future.

Howsie

International Captain
100%

I don’t know if it would hold up at all, legally and what not. But could NZC when it comes to selecting Under 19 teams, get them signing contracts where they are committed to New Zealand cricket for say 10 years. I mean NZC invest a lot of money into them, can’t have guys at 21/22 taking off and all that investment.

I don’t know many kids that age that would say nah I’ll go it on my own thanks.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a legal expert but I suspect the only way that would work is if NZC agreed to pay them for 10 years, which is obviously not a viable option.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don’t know if it would hold up at all, legally and what not. But could NZC when it comes to selecting Under 19 teams, get them signing contracts where they are committed to New Zealand cricket for say 10 years. I mean NZC invest a lot of money into them, can’t have guys at 21/22 taking off and all that investment.

I don’t know many kids that age that would say nah I’ll go it on my own thanks.
You used to get contracts in professional services where you had to sign up to X years or repay the investment that the firm had made in you. I guess those contract were legal at the time (or weren't complained about as the youngster needs the job and doesn't have the $ to make a legal hoo-haa over it).

Howsie

International Captain
But Boult owes NZC nothing IMO. He’s put in over a decade of quality work. He’s had two potentially career ending back injuries while playing for them, and come back better both times. It’s time to make his dosh while he can.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I'm torn between wanting to watch Kuggeliegn get Bazball'd and never wanting to see him in an NZ team again.

This series is going to be a serious contrast of how NZ and England's fortunes have changed since our last home series against them. I'm looking forward to pretending we're someone else and just enjoying it.