• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yup. Also worth noting that assuming he fully retires from internationals after the 2023 World Cup (or maybe the following 23/24 home season) that the only tests that Boult will have made himself unavailable for were the recent 2 in Pakistan. Ultimately I get it if the selectors decide they want to use these home matches to trial the guys who will be there for future tours to England, SA, Aus etc. But Kugz is not one of them. Just a bizarre selection.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But Boult owes NZC nothing IMO. He’s put in over a decade of quality work. He’s had two potentially career ending back injuries while playing for them, and come back better both times. It’s time to make his dosh while he can.
I don't think he came back better. Smarter and more skilled maybe, but I think his rock-steady career average of 27 is testament to how he also lost something along the way. If the Trent Boult who burst onto the scene in 2012/13 had never had the back injury that robbed him of that extra 5-10k's I think he would've finished his career as NZ's clear all time #2 test bowler

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously Jamieson is out now, but MitchM's eleven is great tbh.

McClenaghan’s XI to take on England in Test I:

Tom Latham
Devin Conway
Kane Williamson
Will Young
Daryl Mitchell
Tom Blundell
Glenn Phillips or Michael Bracewell
Doug Bracewell
Kyle Jamieson
Tim Southee (c)
Lochie Ferguson

Flem274*

123/5
I'm torn between wanting to watch Kuggeliegn get Bazball'd and never wanting to see him in an NZ team again.

This series is going to be a serious contrast of how NZ and England's fortunes have changed since our last home series against them. I'm looking forward to pretending we're someone else and just enjoying it.
our second eleven crushed england in england 18 months ago.

yet certain people still have jobs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously Jamieson is out now, but MitchM's eleven is great tbh.

McClenaghan’s XI to take on England in Test I:

Tom Latham
Devin Conway
Kane Williamson
Will Young
Daryl Mitchell
Tom Blundell
Glenn Phillips or Michael Bracewell
Doug Bracewell
Kyle Jamieson
Tim Southee (c)
Lochie Ferguson
Looks good apart from Doug Bracewell.

(and that Jamieson is broken)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Obviously DOUGEH is not a long term option but if you needed to call someone up as cover, Broom style, DOUGEH is one of the better options. Has international experience, does well on a green top and isn't a mug with the bat.

That said, considering the withdrawals and injuries, I'd prefer seeing Shipley, Smith, Lockie or Duffy get a whirl ahead of him.

I'd have Kuggleijn behind Ian McPeake, et al.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a fall from grace from the world beaters of 2021 when we were spoiled for choice in the 2 Test England series, following by the WTC final to now.

In fact IIRC Henry was MOTM in the 2nd Test win (1-0 series win) against England but couldn't force his way into the WTC final XI.

Now we're discussing the like of Dacewell who hasn't performed in Tests for over a decade along with Duffy & Tickner.

All this vs an England Test team on the rise... hard to think this isn't going to be a bloodbath unless weather intervenes.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But Boult owes NZC nothing IMO. He’s put in over a decade of quality work. He’s had two potentially career ending back injuries while playing for them, and come back better both times. It’s time to make his dosh while he can.
He doesn't 'owe' NZC anything, no one does. But you would like to think that all the talk of international cricket being the pinnacle and Tests are the pinnacle, and he still wants to play for NZ, that this is a golden opportunity to prove that. As I said, he can do it all from home, and I don't expect him to play at the Basin.

Flem274*

123/5
There's an insiduous narrative that we've had our time and just like the Hadlee and Fleming eras, this is part of a natural and unchangeable cycle.

That's not how professional sport actually works though. Good systems create competent players, even if talent fluctuates. Any crash to 2008-2012 will be due to the gutting of domestic red ball cricket and a thousand other lazy, short term decisions from NZC rather than a terminal talent decline.

We're a first world nation with excellent access to sports fields and cricket enjoys a cultural pride of place as our traditional summer sport in a nation that loves sport. We have immigration from cricket mad countries queuing at the door and South African youth cricketers considering us for lifestyle and opportunity reasons. If anything the talent pool has expanded. We are underachievers. England is leaning on our own former cricketing resource and Sri Lanka as a country is literally bankrupt. We should not be in this situation but I would not be shocked if we lost 3 of our 4 home tests this summer.

But Gary Stead would rather you think we're just lucky to compete with powerhouses like Bangladesh. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...xpectations-on-world-test-champion-black-caps

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, what world is Doug Bracewell not a better selection? Is there any indication he was not injured and available to be selected?

ataraxia

International Coach
I mean, what world is Doug Bracewell not a better selection? Is there any indication he was not injured and available to be selected?
Yes, CD confirmed ahead of today's game. Doesn't seem a massive injury but evidently Steady wants some good warmup time before the test.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But Gary Stead would rather you think we're just lucky to compete with powerhouses like Bangladesh. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...xpectations-on-world-test-champion-black-caps
Quote out of that article:

“We've known for a long time he's [Will Young] been somewhat of an heir apparent, but we have a number of those at the moment as well, and it creates some really good competition internally,” Stead said.

Yeah, nice one. Now he's playing for the NZ XI, having to prove himself again.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Haha, that quote stood out to me too. Nicholls must be in last chance saloon now although Young might not be next in line to replace him.