• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Moss

International Vice-Captain
This is rather brilliant from South Africa, even if it hasn’t been a flawless performance. Batting first ( which captains are anyway loathe to so in NZ) after winning the toss on a notoriously spin-unfriendly venue, getting a sizeable lead and using spin as a weapon in the 4th. Pointer to visiting teams you *can* stick to your guns abroad and win. (And that’s not even going into their performance in the first test)

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
To be brutal I don't really care about Patel... I`m talking about dropping Maharaj. Which is continuing to happen much to often in SA selection and at times getting support from cricket fans that I just don't understand.
Didn't Maharaj just play all three home tests versus India, even though he didn't take his only wicket in the series until the 3rd test?

thierry henry

International Coach
It really disgusts me how when we lose NZ fans are all ‘well done South Africa’ this and ‘maybe we should have picked a spinner’ that, instead of simply acknowledging that our team are all terrible cowards and we as fans would be better off never having been born.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
To be brutal I don't really care about Patel... I`m talking about dropping Maharaj. Which is continuing to happen much to often in SA selection and at times getting support from cricket fans that I just don't understand.
that is brutal!
luckily here down under we can handle a wee bit of brutality.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Didn't Maharaj just play all three home tests versus India, even though he didn't take his only wicket in the series until the 3rd test?
He did. I think the last test was the first one in quite some time where we haven't played a spinner, which means it would be a little unfair to have a go at the selectors for not backing Maharaj, although the criticism of fans is justified.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
It really disgusts me how when we lose NZ fans are all ‘well done South Africa’ this and ‘maybe we should have picked a spinner’ that, instead of simply acknowledging that our team are all terrible cowards and we as fans would be better off never having been born.
come on, at least YOU have soccer to turn to when things go bad.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He did. I think the last test was the first one in quite some time where we haven't played a spinner, which means it would be a little unfair to have a go at the selectors for not backing Maharaj, although the criticism of fans is justified.
Yeah, but there was also continuous talk of dropping him... mainly because we had a long tail and everybody wanted the extra batsmen at the expense of the spinner. I wanted the extra batsmen as well (actually I wanted Mulder playing) but not at Maharaj's expense. I`m glad they never dropped him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Another day, another way for Latham to get out. Now averaging 28 v the other sides in the top 6 nations, which puts him around the company in that particular category with Bryan Young (29), Jeet Raval and Matt Horne (27) along with Tony Blain, Ian Smith and Dion Nash (26).

I love Tom as a guy and I rate him technically, but it has to be considered a major mental flaw that despite that, he just can't score consistent runs v good Test sides.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes the pitch is flat, but this NZ batting lineup has a fragile look to it especially without KW to calm the horses. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a bunch more frivolous top order dismissals in the second innings.
Well done Nostradamus.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Conway’s ability to just get on with it and find ways to score is extremely valuable in a side where the other batsmen (even KW to an extent) tend make it possible for opposition bowlers to dry the runs up and work them over. Hope he can get the century , would be a great personal milestone in an otherwise mostly listless test from NZ.