• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Like a de Grandhomme or a Mitchell? We have 2 of these here, but they ony bowled 14 of 233 overs. Latham kept going back to his (tiring) quicks.
Sure. The only way Mitchell will get comfortable in that sort of role is if they bowl him.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know what is it that Maharaj offering here that is out of ordinary. The deck is slow and barely turning. He drifts it a bit and most balls are just straight. Surely it's not unplayable.

Nicholls just left the gate wide open and look to play too square. It wasn't an unplayable ball.

Maybe there'll be some more help tomorrow but I don't expect it to be unplayable spinning deck.
Nobody is expecting Maharaj to take 5 wickets. He provides control a level of quality bowling through change of pace and wileyness that forces the batsmen to maintain a high level of concentration. Probably grabbing 2 or 3 wickets. Allowing the team to still able to constantly attack with your best fast bowlers from the other end.

I mean this is nothing knew. It’s classic test cricket 101...

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Nobody is expecting Maharaj to take 5 wickets. He provides control a level of quality bowling through change of pace and wileyness that forces the batsmen to maintain a high level of concentration. Probably grabbing 2 or 3 wickets. Allowing the team to still able to constantly attack with your best fast bowlers from the other end.

I mean this is nothing knew. It’s classic test cricket 101...
Those that wanting Ajaz Patel now were probably the ones that wanted him out. He's played 3 test matches at home mostly right after successful tests overseas and yet to bag a wicket at home in test cricket.

Pitch is one reason and the other is he barely gets to bowl.

I'd rather they don't take him and barely bowl as he can't contribute with the bat or in the field much.

South Africa gives Maharaj a fair go unlike our captains. A token spell of 2-3 overs is a norm particularly under Kane. Even the great Shane Warne had to bowl 10 overs per wicket. Don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

Then these spinners are expected to rock up overseas and pick poles for fun. Actually they've done that vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan in recent years.

cnerd123

likes this
Keshav is such a quality player. Good bowler, can bat, good fielder, and going off his celebrations he helped set the field that lead to Nicholl's dismissal in the 1st innings too.

All-pace attacks are anti-cricket and any surface that encourages that should be reported as Poor and the groundsmen sanctioned IMO.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
If we finish tonight with only 3 down particularly Devon at the crease unbeaten anything can happen. There's absolutely nothing in the pitch for the bowlers as I see it.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
'The tempo change a spinner provides, disrupts the timing a rhythm of a player, even when set.'

This is just saying that a spinner can help your seamers pick up wickets by messing with a players rythym. This is where we are being a bit tough on Ajaz in NZ.

A balanced attack is like a recipe, I reckon it has less to do with any given pitch and more about having enough variety to prevent players getting used to a 'sameness' about what they are facing. What will unlock the key to one players wicket may not work for another player.

Additional to your medium fast right arm swing and seam bowlers ideally you'd have -
Someone who can get it through at 140 kph and above on a regular basis.
A left armer.
A spinner.

And a batting all-rounder player like an Astle or a Styris who can bowl wicket to wicket and nibble it about a bit is also handy, both those guys could do a job as partnership breakers.
Yes...... it is saying that... :)

I think most sensible BC's fans know what a balanced attack is and why it's important, the bigger question is how do we address this moving forward? We seem to have the type of players you mentioned, or least the potential when we look at domestic records / up and coming players, but then their role completely differs when they make the step up.

I use Ravindra as an example, this entire forum has been excited about the prospect he is for YEARS, we have known him as an opener with immense talent. Fast forward, hasn't even done enough to warrant a place in the Test side off performance alone as a batsman, so we'll at least go off the "at least get him experience in his role so he can develop". What did we get in the end? Him picked primarily as a bowling allrounder for Asia, to bat in the middle order against one of the more difficult assignments in Test Cricket, Indias spin attack IN India.

It's all round confusing at the VERY minimum, but to the point a few have already alluded to in here, none of these players are getting into international system AND improving. THey are stagnating or regressing, and end up mentally shot.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
It’s 2022 and people are still replying to sky liner seriously? Lmao
Probably because they are relatively new and don't know the history of puerile bullying that is practiced by certain long-term posters. They genuinely think this is a forum that is respectful and where anyone can come and comment on cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm guessing if our spinner was hit for two sixes in one over at home, he'd have been taken off. This applies to school, club, first class and international ? Maharaj since has bowled 9 overs in a row.
And boom, Maharaj knocks back his off stump. Quality.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Mitchell tried to wack spinner Maharaj out of the attack early doors but the captain stuck by his man and it paid off. Full credit to the South Africans.