• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Teams come back from 15 point defecits in basketball all the time. It's a make or miss game, you go on runs. The US team didn't make a 3-pointer until the end of the second quarter. Their shots started going in and they kicked it up a gear defensively. They started pressuring the ball up the court and switching aggressively at the point of attack. once the US started making their open shots and started pressing their insane athletic advantage on defence they took us out of the game.

In basketball you're only ever going to go as far as your best player. There hasn't been an NBA champion without (at least) one of the best 5 players in the NBA on it sinxe Detroit in 2004, and that was a massive aberration caused by a Lakers implosion. Our best player, Patty Mills, has never been in the top 50 players in the world. I cannot stress how big the talent gap is here. Every single one of those players that played minutes for the US today would, without question, be the best player Australia has ever produced by so far it's ridiculous.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even with his playoff woes, if Simmons had played and done so like the Simmons from a couple of years ago, I'd have given Australia a chance because he'd atleast reduce the talent gap a bit (even then it'd have taken a miracle). Without him, its impressive they did as well as they did imo.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Even with his playoff woes, if Simmons had played and done so like the Simmons from a couple of years ago, I'd have given Australia a chance because he'd atleast reduce the talent gap a bit (even then it'd have taken a miracle). Without him, its impressive they did as well as they did imo.
Don't mean to bog the thread down with technical discussion but you'd likely run into the same issues Philly do - you can't play Simmons and Thybulle together and score at a good enough rate to win important games.

Burgey

Nah if you have that attitude you can never win. France rolled them, Spain lead at half time. They were vulnerable. Australia was 15 points up.
I don't think you lead by 15 if you're playing badly though.

Burgey

I get that, but if you're up at half time you've given yourself a shot, even accepting the overwhelming likelihood is you're gonna get toweled overall. Perhaps I'm just naive in not accepting it's all down to the other outfit when you can't string two passes together from the get go and shoot at about 15% in the first quarter of a match. That is, apparently, an acceptable standard of performance by a side in an Olympic knock out match.

Burgey

Got golds in both, too.

The sport I hadn't heard of being in these Olympics was sort climbing. Crazy thing to watch.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got golds in both, too.

The sport I hadn't heard of being in these Olympics was sort climbing. Crazy thing to watch.
It has become a new favourite to watch, very quickly.

The bmx is so much better to watch than the skateboarding. It's life on the line stuff.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By pitting Soccer against it, the IOC seems intent on making walking seem like an exciting sport.

_Ed_

Wow, I don't think many would have predicted a silver for Elleesse Andrews in the keirin. Huge performance by a young cyclist I'd barely even heard of before today.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That interview was adorable. Really gives you a sense of how exhausting a sport it is, she was still red faced and gasping for breath 15 minutes after the race.

Victor Ian

International Coach
For all the piss taking about them, the bravery of the juvies in skateboarding and bmx is ****ing impressive tbh. Ballsy AF
There is a regular group of skateboarders in front of the state library. The amount of falls I watch each day is mind boggling, so imagining the amount of falls these Olympians would have sustained to get there is... more mind boggling.

Also it just dawned on me that a group of bmxers is probably called a stack.