• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ooh, now the bouldering final is on.

EDIT: And another cycling silver for Campbell Stewart, who was only included in the event because of Aaron Gate's injury.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tremendous effort from Australia in the basketball imo. Reckon they're playing out of their skins, the US, even having an average game, are simply just way better than them.

morgieb

If we had rolled the Yanks in basketball it would've been the equivalent of the Netherlands beating Australia in cricket or something. Even today you'd still say like of the 30 best basketballers in the world at least 20 are American. Only one Aussie would be even close and he wasn't even there.

morgieb

Kookaburras a bit more of a choke/upset probably, with the caveat that I know very little about field hockey.

Meridio

International Regular
Kookaburras a bit more of a choke/upset probably, with the caveat that I know very little about field hockey.
Wouldn't have said Aus were favourites going into that final. Belgium are gun, reckon before the game I'd have put it slightly above 50/50 for them, and having seen the game I'd say they just shaded it. Not a choke for Aus to lose by any stretch of the imagination.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't have said Aus were favourites going into that final. Belgium are gun, reckon before the game I'd have put it slightly above 50/50 for them, and having seen the game I'd say they just shaded it. Not a choke for Aus to lose by any stretch of the imagination.
Mate they were ranked #1 and just like at every Olympics they choked in the biggest match.

No way your first player should miss in a set of 1v1s.

Meridio

International Regular
Mate they were ranked #1 and just like at every Olympics they choked in the biggest match.

No way your first player should miss in a set of 1v1s.
That's like saying no player should miss a penalty. Yet they do, all the time. The best players in the world, sometimes. And the 1v1 is a much, much harder thing to do.

I'd say in some previous Olympics Aus have maybe choked, where I would have put them as the clear best team in the world, but that's just not the case here.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Lol. ****ing kookaburras. They do it all the time at the Olympics, which, let's be honest, is the only time 99.9% of Aussies give a **** about the sport. Their name is apt. Everyone is laughing.

Flem274*

123/5
TIL keirin is a thing.

read about those skaters today. 13 years old jfc those kids are ****in amazing. serious guts to do that sport and olympic champions at such a young age is the sort of thing i thought was reserved for kids movies etc

Spark

Global Moderator
TIL keirin is a thing.

read about those skaters today. 13 years old jfc those kids are ****in amazing. serious guts to do that sport and olympic champions at such a young age is the sort of thing i thought was reserved for kids movies etc
Keirin is really fun to watch tbh, my favourite of the track cycling events

Flem274*

123/5
i just youtubed it and it looks like the closest sport comes to creating a several-athlete wind up toy. kinda fun concept to just speed them up with that safety car bike thing then let them go at it for 2 laps.

Flem274*

123/5
They do but none of them are genuinely top tier NBA players. Slovenia and France's best players are leagues ahead of Patty Mills, and in basketball, how good your best player is matters a great deal. Theyve put on a perfectly respectable show.
stephen's probs used to football codes where combinations and no roster gaps are more important than who your best player is (same is true in cricket but to a much lesser extent).

i don't know anything about basketball either (played in school, that's it) so what you've just said is pretty foreign to me too.

even going into a game like that though, expecting a country who doesn't care about basketball much beating the one country who really cares about basketball is pretty naive of stephen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I really enjoyed the elimination race earlier. Distance running races should have checkpoints like that, as they are I tend to only watch the last five minutes.

Makes me laugh that the 1 on 1 sprints required them to intervene and stop them from being stationary for more than 30 seconds or they'd just stay there for days staring at each other

Spark

Global Moderator
I really enjoyed the elimination race earlier. Distance running races should have checkpoints like that, as they are I tend to only watch the last five minutes.

Makes me laugh that the 1 on 1 sprints required them to intervene and stop them from being stationary for more than 30 seconds or they'd just stay there for days staring at each other
Yeah that sort of stuff is why I find the sprints hard to watch at times.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
France vs US in men’s basketball…we have to play much better and more consistently than we did against Spain and the Aussies to win…