• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even with his playoff woes, if Simmons had played and done so like the Simmons from a couple of years ago, I'd have given Australia a chance because he'd atleast reduce the talent gap a bit (even then it'd have taken a miracle). Without him, its impressive they did as well as they did imo.
He'd be a liability with the ball in his hands down the stretch. Can't shoot, can't hit free throws. He's basically an Aussie Rondo.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
I really enjoyed the elimination race earlier. Distance running races should have checkpoints like that, as they are I tend to only watch the last five minutes.

Makes me laugh that the 1 on 1 sprints required them to intervene and stop them from being stationary for more than 30 seconds or they'd just stay there for days staring at each other
They had a mile elimination race in the Nitro Athletics event that they had in Australia, along with a few other variations of events mostly along the lines of mixed relays.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
The best events at the olympics are multi-events like the heptathlon or even better the modern pentathlon with it's weird rules. They should have more of those like:

Aquatic quadathlon: diving, slalom kayaking, 4x100m individual medley, single sculls rowing - where the gap in points after the first three events lead to staggered starts in the rowing.

The "blokes being blokes" ***tathlon: BMX racing, weightlifting, archery, speed climbing, karate and surfing.

stephen

stephen's probs used to football codes where combinations and no roster gaps are more important than who your best player is (same is true in cricket but to a much lesser extent).

i don't know anything about basketball either (played in school, that's it) so what you've just said is pretty foreign to me too.

even going into a game like that though, expecting a country who doesn't care about basketball much beating the one country who really cares about basketball is pretty naive of stephen.
Nobody seriously expected them to beat the Dream Team. But I can complain when we lose, knowing that we won't win a medal because we've never won a medal despite being the in the bronze medal match a number of times.

stephen

Lol. ****ing kookaburras. They do it all the time at the Olympics, which, let's be honest, is the only time 99.9% of Aussies give a **** about the sport. Their name is apt. Everyone is laughing.
This.

Take a look at the kookaburras record. They pretty much sweep everything except the world cup and Olympics all the time. Then they get to the Olympics and usually bow out early (though the Hockeyroos did this time).

The kookaburras have literally won one Olympic gold since 1956. They've been on average the strongest side on paper for the last two decades. Yet their record since 2000 is 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 2nd. Hardly the record one would expect from the side that has won eight of the last 11 champions trophies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Kookaburras are a cursed Olympics team. It's not so much an exercise in choking, it's bad juju for some reason. Been that way since Montreal when we lost 1-0 to the Kiwis. I dunno why, it just is. I think they must have sacrificed something at Delphi on their way to Athens or something to get the gold there, but otherwise have had a cursed run.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia and NZ combined (like Great Britain) would have a medal tally of 24 golds/11 silver/25 bronze and be just behind the China and US. I'd also guess that a few team sports would probably improve a lot with an ANZAC squad.

FMD we are sporting giants.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Australia and NZ combined (like Great Britain) would have a medal tally of 24 golds/11 silver/25 bronze and be just behind the China and US. I'd also guess that a few team sports would probably improve a lot with an ANZAC squad.

I've been thinking exactly this the last few days. The great Southern Cross.

stephen

Just imagine how great a combined cricket team would be. Haze, Cummins, Wagner with the ball, Smith, Taylor, Labuschagne and Williamson in the middle order. Would be an ATG quality side. Better yet, we could get Gary Stead to coach so the team could actually perform.

TheJediBrah

This.

Take a look at the kookaburras record. They pretty much sweep everything except the world cup and Olympics all the time. Then they get to the Olympics and usually bow out early (though the Hockeyroos did this time).

The kookaburras have literally won one Olympic gold since 1956. They've been on average the strongest side on paper for the last two decades. Yet their record since 2000 is 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 2nd. Hardly the record one would expect from the side that has won eight of the last 11 champions trophies.
Sounds like the South African cricket team

Great sporting culture. Would look even better if the vast majority of Australia's best athletes weren't locked into a sport no other country plays (which you could say about USA too tbf).

If NZ and Aus combined the Rugby and cricket teams would be OP af

TheJediBrah

More importantly what would you call it? Aus-Zealand. Great Ausland. New Zealstralia. Australia + friends. Australia 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia and NZ were one country, the NZ area wouldn't get any funding though
Maybe. I actually got interested in the whole "medals per dollars spent" table I mentioned earlier in the thread. Not 100% about the sources, but found news articles that suggest Australia has invested about $700 million in high performance sport in the current cycle, compared to about $250 million for NZ. At the end of the day, gold medals end up costing almost the exact same amount for both countries (about $35 million per gold) with NZ getting slightly better VFM for all medals ($13 million compared to $17 million for Australia). NZ does spend significantly more per capita, which is a bit weird given that Australia's GDP per capita is much higher than ours - our athletes would be getting significantly less under an Australasia administration. At the same time though, both countries would be doing significantly better in the team rowing, cycling and kayaking team events so they might get even more gold medals than just adding the two up would suggest.

Last edited: