• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollock's all round credentials land him into that team. Certainly think Walsh is a good fit in a team with Chanderpaul, Turner and Benaud.

Burgey

Yeah for sure, as I said, I'm not saying he'd Dave Gilbert levels of bad here (as a bowler, not an administrator, which is even worse), I'm just saying I never really thought of him as ATG material. Others vary, and it depends on when you see them play and how they're going at the time.

bagapath

International Captain
Did McGrath strike fear?
honestly, yes. "What to do with McGrath" was always the question every team had to deal with for a decade.

Though, contrary to popular opinion I always felt pollock was the one who had the wood on Sachin - more than McGrath or Murali. Consistently got him out for low scores.

Burgey

Not as much as Ambrose.

Striking fear is overrated. I'm not sure anyone ever feared facing Warne. Ruthless, effective wicket taking is all that's important.
That's the fear I'm talking about. Ambrose wasn't express pace, but you always had it in your head he might turn up and do a 7 for 1 job on you. Warne was like that for Pommies and Saffas as well. Same with McGrath, but against most everyone - you're always worried something's gonna happen and it won't be good fro the batting side. I never got that from Pollock (nor Waqar, come to that, but I've revised my views of him more favourably recently, factoring in his tours here coincided with him either being a foetus, slowed down after injury or too old).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's the fear I'm talking about.Ambrose wasn't express pace, but you always had it in your head he might turn up and do a 7 for 1 job on you. Warne was like that for Pommies and Saffas as well. Same with McGrath, but against most everyone - you're always worried something's gonna happen and it won't be good fro the batting side. I never got that from Pollock (nor Waqar, come to that, but I've revised my views of him more favourably recently, factoring in his tours here coincided with him either being a foetus, slowed down after injury or too old).
Ah okay. The 'hiding behind your lounge' analogy threw me

bagapath

International Captain
Waqar is another Beefy. took 15-20 five-fers in no time and spent the next 8-10 years bowling hardly three spells that mattered.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, definitely Mcgrath had the fear factor. A Mcgrath or Akram did not have the express pace of the others, but when they are at the start of the bowling crease, opposition fans always feared that their team might be 10/3 or 10/4 in no time. Had it for Donald too. But during my days of watching Pollock, I never had the same fear.

mr_mister

Well he took 421 test wickets @ 23 so maybe some of you guys should have feared him a bit. Since he seemed to get results. I'll admit I didn't know he stank that much against Australia though

Burgey

I would say I respected him but maybe not as much as a 23 average would suggest I should have, if that makes sense

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I don't think anyone is saying Pollock was the equivalent of Donald, Steyn or Waqar with the ball. He is a lower tier ATG bowler. Once you bring his batting into the picture, he is a bonafide ATG.

bagapath

International Captain
So Viv with the bat?
Viv's fall was like Ponting's.

But Beefy and Waqar were completely different players in the two parts of their careers. In fact, I dare say Botham's fall was even more pronounced because as big a star as Waqar was, Beefy was even more impactful (as an allrounder).

Still.. Cant recall anything Waqar did of note post 1995.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I don't think anyone is saying Pollock was the equivalent of Donald, Steyn or Waqar with the ball. He is a lower tier ATG bowler. Once you bring his batting into the picture, he is a bonafide ATG.
Well said. A 7 run gap between batting and bowling average puts him in the elite class for bowling all rounders (since the same comparison doesn't work as well for batting all rounders)

stephen

After careful deliberation I'm returning to my original beliefs on Walsh. Not quite an ATG, but on the verge of it.

Here is my reasoning (other than watching him bowl).

His home average is very good, around Pollock's career average. His away average is over 25.

The two teams he played the most during his career were Australia and England. Australia were very good tbf, but England were not great and Walsh averaged 25 against them in what would have been mostly good bowling conditions.

The teams he played less tests against, Pakistan, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka he generally performed very well against (except Sri Lanka, who he averaged nearly 35 against, though only over 3 tests).

The problem is that other than Pakistan who had a decent team at the time, India he only played when they were a glorified minnow and he basically played the worst NZ teams of the last 50 years.

Home and away against Australia he averaged around 29 and a lot of that was played on some really poor pitches.

The 90s were an exceptional era for fast bowling. Yet he averages more than every other fast bowler from the era you would consider great, and more than some who definitely wouldn't make that list (de Villiers, Fleming, Streak). In fact he averages virtually the same as Merv Hughes and McDermott in the 90s.

I just can't rate him as an ATG for those reasons. His longevity makes him stand out, as does his partnership with Ambrose. The other reason he stands out is the dross that replaced him. But individually he just wasn't up there with the best.

So I've reconsidered and I have come to the same conclusion as before - he was very good but not up there with the very best.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Can't see any reason why you wouldn't classify Walsh an ATG.

He would clearly make NZ's ATG XI.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
After careful deliberation I'm returning to my original beliefs on Walsh. Not quite an ATG, but on the verge of it.

His home average is very good, around Pollock's career average. His away average is over 25.

The two teams he played the most during his career were Australia and England. Australia were very good tbf, but England were not great and Walsh averaged 25 against them in what would have been mostly good bowling conditions.

The teams he played less tests against, Pakistan, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka he generally performed very well against (except Sri Lanka, who he averaged nearly 35 against, though only over 3 tests).

The problem is that other than Pakistan who had a decent team at the time, India he only played when they were a glorified minnow and he basically played the worst NZ teams of the last 50 years.

Home and away against Australia he averaged around 29 and a lot of that was played on some really poor pitches.

The 90s were an exceptional era for fast bowling. Yet he averages more than every other fast bowler from the era you would consider great, and more than some who definitely wouldn't make that list (de Villiers, Fleming, Streak). In fact he averages virtually the same as Merv Hughes and McDermott in the 90s.

I just can't rate him as an ATG for those reasons. His longevity makes him stand out, as does his partnership with Ambrose. The other reason he stands out is the dross that replaced him. But individually he just wasn't up there with the best.

So I've reconsidered and I have come to the same conclusion as before - he was very good but not up there with the very best.
His away average is over 25. It is 25.03:laugh:

Burgey

Ok