• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Intelligent posters can correct me but what Burgey is saying that all the runs scored by Smith in 2017 series in INDIA were pressure free runs because no one gave AUS a chance to win that series ?
I'm glad you recognise your own lack of intelligence. I think you fail to remember that the India vs Aus series in 2017 went down to the last test and Australia's bowlers were able to take a lot of wickets in that series.

In fact it was Cheshwar ****ing Pujara who was the difference between the batting sides in that series as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm glad you recognise your own lack of intelligence. I think you fail to remember that the India vs Aus series in 2017 went down to the last test and Australia's bowlers were able to take a lot of wickets in that series.

In fact it was Cheshwar ****ing Pujara who was the difference between the batting sides in that series as well.
just because someone throws out bait doesn't mean you have to go fishing

StephenZA

So the argument is....

Pujara is the only batsmen who has scored runs after getting through tough conditions and then cashing in... i.e. quality test batting. And India have at last got a half decent bowling attack that has managed to use the pace and bounce available.

stephen

I tend to agree but tbf day 1 & 2 of Melbourne and Sydney were pretty flat decks.

edit: spark you posting the same thing as me? I'd be worried if I were you champ
The overall Melbourne pitch offered more to the bowlers than in 2014. That series was the worst series of flat decks I've ever seen.

Spark

Global Moderator
So the argument is....

Pujara is the only batsmen who has scored runs after getting through tough conditions and then cashing in... i.e. quality test batting. And India have at last got a half decent bowling attack that has managed to use the pace and bounce available.
i think the argument is kind of the logical extreme of the whole "bowlers win test matches, batsmen save them" logic of cricketingview and the like, which basically says that test match wins are basically overwhelmingly down to the bowling only. which i find a indefensibly simplistic view of the game.

this is especially true in australia, where the overall trajectory of a test match is generally fixed by lunch on day 2.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain

It wasn't as though Pujara and Kohli had been suspended prior to the series though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't know about this. It was flat but I felt it wasn't anywhere near as flat as the thread made it out to be. And Day 2 onwards there was enough there .
it wasn't so much the movement as painfully, horribly slow. which meant it was really really hard to actively get anyone out, they basically had to get themselves out. 2014 wasn't that slow. it did quicken up later, granted.

stephen

not on day 1 it didn't
True. But this is about whether the Indian bowlers could take enough wickets. Days 3-5 offered enough to take 20 wickets.

But yes, Pujara scored while it was flat. That didn't make it easy. Even after that innings Australia were still in the game. They literally only had to get enough runs to avoid the follow on (under 250) to have been able to draw that match. Australia's batsmen showed how to throw a test away. India could have done the same in the first innings if they had have tried to be more aggressive.

Spark

Global Moderator
It wasn't as though Pujara and Kohli had been suspended prior to the series though.
my pet theory on 2017 is the difference between the two sides was actually david warner, i.e. the fact that he basically went missing the whole series. if he had played one (one!) innings of genuine substance when it counted, then really australia would have likely won that series.

granted, kohli going completely missing with the bat wasn't exactly a regular occurrence either.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris really needs to go big tomorrow or he can **** off as well IMO
Yeah. 4 Tests is plenty of time to have an impact and he was supposed to be in form. If he can't average ~40 in a home series against India when he's supposedly in the form of his life I don't see much of a future in him.

Starfighter

this is especially true in australia, where the overall trajectory of a test match is generally fixed by lunch on day 2.
I know that turnarounds in test matches are pretty rare overall (and I seem to remember that someone did some stats stuff and found that drubbings are more common than not), but you're sure right there haven't been many Australian matches I can remember at least where it wasn't quite clear by the end of day 2 who was going to win over the past few years. Even relatively balanced matches seem to be a rarity here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Pujara this series is probably up there with Steve Waugh in the West Indies in 95 as being the difference between two teams.
The other interesting parallel is both sides having better bowling attacks than batting line ups. That said, Pujara has been immense in this series and good on him for working on his technique (and good on the coaching staff too who seem to get constant ridicule, mostly justified though) and ensuring he has enough scoring options to make his strength in occupying the crease, be the difference between the sides.

That said, people are under rating what Kohli did in 2014 here massively. Plus he is one bloke who seems to have that certain zone that he just hits sometimes. He did that in 2014 in Australia after that nightmare tour of England. He did that this time in England. And I feel sorry for the Aussies when they tour India next as I feel he is going to do the same then.

And on the whole short and full thing, the strategy was understandable but ideally you wanna mix it up a bit. And going always full or always short is betraying a basic lack of cricketing nous by whoever it was who made those decisions. It need not be and should not be a binary thing. Its like a batsman playing exclusively off the front foot or the back foot. Either way, they would be wrong.

Spark

Global Moderator
True. But this is about whether the Indian bowlers could take enough wickets. Days 3-5 offered enough to take 20 wickets.

But yes, Pujara scored while it was flat. That didn't make it easy. Even after that innings Australia were still in the game. They literally only had to get enough runs to avoid the follow on (under 250) to have been able to draw that match. Australia's batsmen showed how to throw a test away. India could have done the same in the first innings if they had have tried to be more aggressive.
eh i think india would have won anyway tbh even if aus had gotten, say, 270 odd. you can't change one thing and assume everything afterwards happens as before.

StephenZA

i think the argument is kind of the logical extreme of the whole "bowlers win test matches, batsmen save them" logic of cricketingview and the like, which basically says that test match wins are basically overwhelmingly down to the bowling only. which i find a indefensibly simplistic view of the game.

In SA it is batsmen that win test matches.... a hundred in SA is pure gold, sometimes more important than taking a 5 for.

But black white simplicity makes for nice discussions (i.e arguments).

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
my pet theory on 2017 is the difference between the two sides was actually david warner, i.e. the fact that he basically went missing the whole series. if he had played one (one!) innings of genuine substance when it counted, then really australia would have likely won that series.

granted, kohli going completely missing with the bat wasn't exactly a regular occurrence either.
Yeah, he did fluke a 50 at Dharmasala despite being dropped first ball of the match. Just did not trust his defensive technique at all that tour.

Spark

Global Moderator
In SA it is batsmen that win test matches.... a hundred in SA is pure gold, sometimes more important than taking a 5 for.

But black white simplicity makes for nice discussions (i.e arguments).
yeah i think it's entirely based on an incredibly naive statistical analysis which shows that - shock - wins are correlated with 5fors. and yes, you have to take 20 wickets to win a game, but it completely ignores the much more complex and subtle web of interdependencies which makes test cricket such a rich game in the first place.

and hell, if merely having good bowlers was enough to win lots of tests, then pakistan would have barely lost a series.