• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, yes. But what is the primary reason behind this series being tight and low scoring? Is it by chance the Indian bowling attack?
Its both bowling attacks, and it’s the first two tests being played on good wickets.

Which makes his effort more of a stand out doesn’t it?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What happened to Pucovski? Why isn't he playing cricket these days? These youngsters need to grow a skin like Pakistani cricketers who are almost everyday in their lives are scrutinised by the media and still keep on playing for decades.
Didn't he turn down the Bash to play Grade cricket or something

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really getting my point. Kohli scored 4 centuries last series and if he had support from the bowlers like he did this series, you don't think he would have been helping India win matches just like Pujara is doing now? My argument is that it's erroneous to rate a batsman's performance based on how the match pans out.

India picked 60 out of the 80 wickets on offer last series and they have already picked 80 wickets this series being only 3 match in but of course lets pretend that Pujara has been the difference this series.
I think your maths is a bit wrong.

TheJediBrah

But I've seen plenty of other patronising Aussies in the meantime so I guess we're even lol
Nah don't mind when you guys big the NZ team up like this tbh. It's like when a 5'4", 120lb bloke fronts up to you for looking at his girl. You don't get offended or annoyed, just appreciate the cuteness.

Starfighter

Its both bowling attacks, and it’s the first two tests being played on good wickets.

Which makes his effort more of a stand out doesn’t it?
I'm trying to work out what part of your point that Pujara has been absolutely pivotal doesn't make sense. Can't see it.

Burgey

I think Pujara this series is probably up there with Steve Waugh in the West Indies in 95 as being the difference between two teams.

Burner

International Regular
Not the primary reason.

1. Pitches (mostly for first 2 Tests)
2. Australia's batting "situation"
3. India's bowlers
I was more thinking primary reason from India's perspective. Pujara helped India score 443 in the first innings of the 3rd test on a pitch that everyone on this forum would have admitted was a road. Do you know what would have happened if India's attack of 2014 were bowling after that? They would have conceded 500 runs for Aus' first innings. Then things would have happened that would have in the end made the match a draw.

In the end Pujara's century would have been just similar to Kohli's where thousands were being scored.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was more thinking primary reason from India's perspective. Pujara helped India score 443 in the first innings of the 3rd test on a pitch that everyone on this forum would have admitted was a road. Do you know what would have happened if India's attack of 2014 were bowling after that? They would have conceded 500 runs for the first innings. Then things would have happened that would have in the end made the match a draw.

In the end Pujara's century would have been just similar to Kohli's where thousands were being scored.
he scored 443 in an innings that lasted two days. do you think the batsmen are robots and aren't affected by having to field for that long?

stephen

I can't remember a more pivotal and important set of runs made by a visiting batsman since Brian Charles Lara hit 277 against us in 92/93. But even then, this performance by Pujara is probably the best I've seen across a series. He's been immense and has enabled his team to dominate. Even when he failed he still sucked up a lot of balls and shielded the lesser batsmen from facing the new ball.

sunilz

International Regular
Intelligent posters can correct me but what Burgey is saying that all the runs scored by Smith in 2017 series in INDIA were pressure free runs because no one gave AUS a chance to win that series ?

Spark

Global Moderator
Intelligent posters can correct me but what Burgey is saying that all the runs scored by Smith in 2017 series in INDIA were pressure free runs because no one gave AUS a chance to win that series ?
troll better next time please

cnerd123

likes this
Do international cricketers think like this though?
This is a good point. I think it's fine for us to speculate about the mindset of elite athletes in these situations, and to base it on observation, but we don't really know if they think this way. And even if they did, they probably wouldn't admit it.

stephen

I was more thinking primary reason from India's perspective. Pujara helped India score 443 in the first innings of the 3rd test on a pitch that everyone on this forum would have admitted was a road. Do you know what would have happened if India's attack of 2014 were bowling after that? They would have conceded 500 runs for Aus' first innings. Then things would have happened that would have in the end made the match a draw.

Nah that isn't true.

The main difference is that the pitches are better for the bowlers this time around than they were 4 years ago. Kohli's tons were on ridiculous feather beds designed to make each game go into the 5th day.

This time round Pujara has made a crap ton of runs on decks offering assistance to the bowlers. And it's something else nobody else - not even Kohli - has been able to do here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah that isn't true.

The main difference is that the pitches are better for the bowlers this time around than they were 4 years ago. Kohli's tons were on ridiculous feather beds designed to make each game go into the 5th day.

This time round Pujara has made a crap ton of runs on decks offering assistance to the bowlers. And it's something else nobody else - not even Kohli - has been able to do here.
eh, it's stretching it a hell of a lot to say mcg and scg were offering assistance to bowlers when pujara was batting.

it doesn't take away the broader point ofc

TheJediBrah

Nah that isn't true.

I tend to agree but tbf day 1 & 2 of Melbourne and Sydney were pretty flat decks.

edit: spark you posting the same thing as me? I'd be worried if I were you champ