• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was like 3 million years old with 22 years of wear and tear. The decline was coming anyway.
Sure, but it seems like too much of a coincidence to me. His last series before England was one of his best ever. He dominated the world cup as well but didn't play again for a whole year. Just lost the hunger and intense desire to be #1 and win the WC. His age and the time he gave cricket had a lot to do with it I imagine.

vcs

Should have got that 100th 100 against Pakistan or in the final and signed off right there.

Always felt Sachin held winning the WC as the pinnacle and crowning achievement of his career compared to winning a Test series overseas. Since Virat was part of a WC winning squad so early in his career, he'd probably see winning a Test series in Australia or SA as the holy grail.

ma1978

International Debutant
All this nonsense aside, I think the PEWS standardized averages show how close Kohli (55.37) and Smith (55.01) really are. No question that Smith has played in considerably more batsman friendly conditions for his runs relative to Kohli and that explains the average difference. Both these guys still have a massive career left ahead of them, so its far to early to take a real call. I would also note that in a bowling dominated era, just how lucky we fans are to have these two guys around. A bit like Steyn at an earlier time.

FBU

International Debutant
In the last decade spinners average 51.63 at the SCG, the highest figure for any ground in Australia.
1 Agarwal
2 Vihari
3 Pujara
4 Kohli
5 Rahane
6 Pandya
7 Pant
8 Jadeja
9 Bhuvi
10 Shami
11 Bumrah

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Slight deviation from the topic, but did anyone else think Stoinis was younger than 29? Was genuinely a bit taken aback when I saw this. Thought he was mid 20s at most.

Test fan

U19 Vice-Captain
Lol at some people who campare VK to smith . Kohli is level above every one who the hell is smith ( cheated most of time in his career .look how ineffective Australia bowler after sandpaper scam .no reverse swing at all .)

Niall

International Coach
Ugh, another series affected by poor selection. Why do they keep doing this? They had finally gotten it right this last test. They've been losing matches due to their selection.
Read that. Not sure I'd have them in that order. I agree that India were clueless in England, but at least that's balanced out by England stupidly not picking Ali for so much of the series.

The worst call for me was dropping Kumar in the 2nd test in South Africa. Kohli and Shastri talking drivel about picking Rohit because of form, but then dropping their best player in the first test. The two spinners debacle is at least amusing for how comically stupid it was.

I'd also say that picking Kumar when he clearly was not fit in the deciding ODI was so bad. Its not his best format and they had alternatives. I know India bowled well in England, but damn Bhuvi would have made such a difference.

Neil Pickup

Ugh, another series affected by poor selection. Why do they keep doing this? They had finally gotten it right this last test. They've been losing matches due to their selection.
Assuming Vihari drops back down to 6 and Rahul goes back in to open with his old mate Agarwal, what are we thinking is most likely for the fourth bowler? Umesh - Ashwin - Kuldeep?

I can’t see them risking a half-fit Ashwin after the Southampton farce last year, and it seems a huge risk to go into a game with just two seamers - Jadeja on in the tenth over, anyone? - so by process of elimination it must be Umesh... mustn’t it?

Burgey

iirc he looked completely lost, totally unprepared for how tests worked. led to quite a few memes on here for a while directed at jono
Yeah? WELL HOW DID SMITH LOOK WHEN HE DEBUTED? EH? EH?

YEAH HE LOOKED LIKE CRAP AND WAS WORSE THAN KOHLI LOOKED. YET ANOTHER POINT IN KOHLI’S FAVOUR!!!

****ing spuds. So much Cevnoing going on here. Get off the ****ing forum.

Burgey

He was like 3 million years old with 22 years of wear and tear. The decline was coming anyway.

Sehwag and Zaheer, especially should've easily given another 3 years of solid output if they hadn't gotten lazy. Zaheer was actually still bowling great as he showed in those 5 overs in England before he broke down.
Zaheer was awesome for a few years there. I don’t know whether he got injured because he got a bit complacent and wasn’t as fit, or whether the injuries caused the lack of fitness. Either way it was a shame he wasn’t able to bowl at that level for a bit longer.

Burgey

Not feeling too optimistic about this match now. Losing would put a bit of a downer on things. Seeing as we're incapable of grinding out draws..
Certainly bad signs for India, as all of these factors are combining with the return of Marnus Labushagne to really bolster the Australian line up...

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Trivia related to potential move by Paine up the order:

Last FC century by Tim Paine v WA @ Perth 2006 (dropped on 199 by Justin Langer!!)
Last Test century by an Australia wicketkeeper: Brad Haddin v England @ Adelaide 2013
Centuries by Australian wicketkeepers this decade: 4

For the last stat only Pakistan and Zimbabwe are worse. England have 11, SA 10 and India 7. In the previous decade Australia scored 18 wicketkeeper hundreds (obviously because of Gilchrist).

TheJediBrah

Toss will be huge this game, possibly even more so than Melbourne. Won't be impossible to win batting second, but they'll have to play out of their skin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Assuming Vihari drops back down to 6 and Rahul goes back in to open with his old mate Agarwal, what are we thinking is most likely for the fourth bowler? Umesh - Ashwin - Kuldeep?

I can’t see them risking a half-fit Ashwin after the Southampton farce last year, and it seems a huge risk to go into a game with just two seamers - Jadeja on in the tenth over, anyone? - so by process of elimination it must be Umesh... mustn’t it?
The least worst option out of those three is Umesh. I'd rather they go to Bhuvi but he's not in the 13 man squad...

PLEASE for the love of God don't go in with two spinners, especially if its a half fit Ashwin...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
With KL Rahul and his current form, India are already going in with a 10 man side....they do not need to go in with only two pace bowlers on top of that.