• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rain Gods seem to favour the Aussies. Already saved them twice in the T20 series this year. I wouldn't have taken this risk if I were Kohli. India would at most bowl for another 100 overs so 170 in total which is fair especially on this pitch. Vihari could have contributed 20 this innings. Pace bowlers would have been kept down to 15 each. Its a manageable workload I think. But Kohli always on the defensive as is par for the course.

Kirkut

International Regular
It's between him and another Indian bowler- Arun Finch.
Did you see those overs yesterday?
Haven't watched much of this test yet, just following cricbuzz. But my observations on Bumrah are based on his bowling in England, he is a hit the deck seam bowler and angles it into the right hand batsman. So it becomes a challenging task whether to play or leave the ball because you never know how much it would come back in or hold it's line, all at around 90 mph speeds.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
98ao and 0/150-odd was most definitely worse than this
That was awful but more excusable given the pitch. Other than Khawaja none of these Aussie batsmen got out due to anything but their own inability to bat competently.

Kirkut

International Regular
According to Google, 70% chance of precipitation on Sat and 80% on Sunday. For comparison, today is 30% chance. Man I am going to be so upset if we don't win it because of rain.
It should not end up like Johannesburg 1996.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The absolute worst thing about this collapse is that it wasn't actually a collapse. It was the batsmen slowly getting to 20 and then throwing away their wickets. It's maddening and heads should roll.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now I'm no tactician but they should just bowl dry and wide with a defensive field. Throw an occasional yorker in there for surprise.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the Australian side of 2006 had have lost Ponting and Hayden, their top order would have been:

Langer
Jaques
Hodge
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist

Certainly enough batting there to score 350+ consistently.
Even better, a 2000 side without either Waugh's:

Slater
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Gilchrist

(with reshuffles in place depending on who the second batsman dropped was)

All of them >>> Khawaja let alone the rest of them.

And a potential 2nd XI:

Hussey
Elliott
Blewett
Law
Bevan
Katich
Seccombe

All of that Top 6 would probably still be our best batsman.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If the Australian side of 2006 had have lost Ponting and Hayden, their top order would have been:

Langer
Jaques
Hodge
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist

Certainly enough batting there to score 350+ consistently.
I think you've blended a couple of years together here -- Hodge and Watson had their first runs in 2005/06 iirc, Martyn retired in 2006/07 (by which point Hussey was established), and Jaques came a bit later in 2007/08 (after Langer retired). So I'd see something like this:

2005/06
2006/07
2007/08

1. Langer
  2. Hussey
  3. Hodge
  4. Martyn
  5. Clarke
  6. Watson
  7. Gilchrist

NCOTR: Jaques

1. Langer
  2. Jaques
  3. Hussey
  4. Martyn
  5. Clarke
  6. Symonds
  7. Gilchrist

NCOTR: Voges

1. Rogers
  2. Jaques
  3. Katich
  4. Hussey
  5. Clarke
  6. Symonds
  7. Gilchrist

NCOTR: Hussey

• Hussey played as the reserve opener in 2005/06 anyway. Hodge/Martyn/Clarke were fighting for two spots so they all get to coexist.
  • Symonds replaced Martyn mid-2006/07, with Voges called up to the squad. Jaques to get his crack a year early imo. Picks itself.
  • Rogers played as the reserve opener when Hayden was injured in 2007/08, Katich was in the middle of his 1500-odd run summer so probably is fighting DHuss for the spot.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
India are touring NZ for ODIs and T20s in Jan/Feb. Shame they can't be changed to tests in order to determine the world's best team

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Following on would have been harsh on the bowlers, especially the pacers who bowled a lot.
Only bowled 67 overs in all. Jadeja bowled 25 of them. Most overs by pacer were 15.5 by Bumrah. Not sure if the bowlers would have been that tired.

If we don't win this due to rain, I will need psycho therapy to get over it.