• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin-haters like you should suck it. Economy rate of 1.67 and average of 16.67 in the first innings of first test in Australia is Bradmanesque for a finger spinner. Those who were hating on him for one bad spell in England should now drink piss.
He's done really well no doubt, just like in the first test in England where I also praised him.

It doesn't really make up for the rest though.

I will gladly eat humble pie if he keeps this up and we win the test because I wanted him out for Jadeja.

Spark

Global Moderator
by aus day 2 pitch standards maybe, although i do recall some scg pitches that have turned more than this

Victor Ian

International Coach
I am enjoying this India series so much. My Aussie Post driver is Indian and we spend a good amount of time talking **** about the days cricket. He was so ready to write of the series yesterday. Good to see him back enjoying the turnaround. I just hope it is my turn to be the happy one come Monday. Chances? I figure if you fall in the **** all the time eventually you come out with a nugget. Yes Smarsh. I'm talking about you. Give me my hundred!

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Ashwin-haters like you should suck it. Economy rate of 1.67 and average of 16.67 in the first innings of first test in Australia is Bradmanesque for a finger spinner. Those who were hating on him for one bad spell in England should now drink piss.
But Bradman was a leggie.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
So this means that Geoff, Shaun & Mitch Marsh have all played at least 30 Tests as Top 6 batsmen (Mitch occasionally batted at 7) and average under 35.

Off the top of my head, the only other Australian batsmen to ‘achieve’ this since WSC started are Graeme Wood, John Dyson & Greg Blewett.

Last edited:

Spikey

you'd have Elliott and Hughes, although Hughes played all his matches below the age 25 or so and batsmen tend to explode after that age

edit at 20 matches that is

trundler

So this means that Geoff, Shaun & Mitch Marsh have all played at least 30 Tests as Top 6 batsmen (Mitch occasionally batted at 7) and average under 35.

Off the top of my head, the only other Australian batsmen to ‘achieve’ this since WSC started are Graeme Wood, John Dyson & Greg Blewett.
Blewett the best looking mediocre player?

Spikey

i cant remember if I put my Marsh stance on record; I agree with PEWS that it got a bit annoying seeing them treated as one person instead of individual players, and I would have been totally fine with MMarsh playing in this game, but I simply do not see the point in picking SMarsh. I get that he's statistically more likely to score a ton than Joe Burns, etc, but I just can't be bothered with a 35yo who going into any given series has a cloud hanging over him in that he could be about to deliver just the absolute biggest load of rubbish. Renshaw in, Finch in the middle order (or out) and MMarsh in for Handscomb would have been fine with me

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

Australia has got 114 test matches out of the Marsh family now. Any odds on this exceeding 150 ?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I don't see that kind of hate when Kohli gets out for 3 attempting a stupid shot. I have news for you - a great sportsman can have a bad day.
Uh nature of the game allows bowlers to course correct over an innings. Batsmen pay far more dearly for impulsiveness. Ergo, there is no excuse for an experienced bowler to persist with a plan that is paying no dividends.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Uh nature of the game allows bowlers to course correct over an innings. Batsmen pay far more dearly for impulsiveness.
That's precisely why batsmen's impulsiveness should be brutally criticized. Team pays a big cost for batsmen's impulsiveness.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh nature of the game allows bowlers to course correct over an innings. Batsmen pay far more dearly for impulsiveness. Ergo, there is no excuse for an experienced bowler to persist with a plan that is paying no dividends.
And if the course correction doesn't work, does he go back to his previous method or a new method in the same day? It will again result in multiple changes just like how Ashwin tried 6 different deliveries in an over which you guys criticized.

OverratedSanity

I don't know why you guys are attempting to downplay how disappointing Ashwin was at Southampton. He got a turning pitch (second time this year after Centurion) and laid an egg. Worst example of a spinner trying far too much and not trusting his own normal bowling.

He bowled decently today and picked up 3 wickets which apparently means any previous criticism of him wasn't warranted, so congratulations to him.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
People didn't hate on him just because he bowled poorly, they hated on him because he bowled stupidly.
Yeah, how hard it is to get that? Below par posting from weldone. Just trying to point out hypocrisy is stupid in this case when essentially he is pitting treatment of one Indian player against treatment of another Indian player by Indian fans. There is no natural cause for bias here. Try understanding what others are saying even if you disagree with them.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins has been expected to get a big score for a while now coz of his nice looking technique but I can see him not getting a fifty all summer. Doesn't look that assured at the crease to me

His bowling is awesome though

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, how hard it is to get that? Below par posting from weldone. Just trying to point out hypocrisy is stupid in this case when essentially he is pitting treatment of one Indian player against treatment of another Indian player by Indian fans. There is no natural cause for bias here. Try understanding what others are saying even if you disagree with them.
O yes lots of people calling Ashwin a 'fat bastard' or similar for pages after pages here was totally justified, and I am at fault for taking objection to that!

The hypocrisy is absolutely real here, and it's not about one Indian player vs another but rather one Indian batsman vs one Indian spinner. Ashwin is the world's best spinner today and India's best match-winner of probably all-time. The kind of flak he gets from all Indian posters here (except Shri and myself) is not meted out to ANY Indian batsman.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

He IS fat and unfit, which affects his already terrible fielding and woeful fitness levels (which hurt the team in that very same Southampton test). So none of that criticism was particularly unfounded.

Anyway, you probably should have mentioned you took offence to the fat comments in the first place and not the perfectly valid critique of him lacking patience and common sense at times.

Last edited: