• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of India 2018

the big bambino

International Captain
You watched matches in Aus recently? Swing bowling is barely a factor past the first six overs. Putting him as a definite no. 1 is a reach. The factors you list for the other two are all more useful than swing, plus he's going to have to adjust his length, which he utterly failed to do last time.
Sharma averages 62 here for 20 wickets over 10 games. Shami has taken 15 in just 3 for an average of 35. While you would prefer bounce Swing does work in Australia and is even better if the bowler strikes the right length. Which Shami has done better than Sharma at least historically.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sharma averages 62 here for 20 wickets over 10 games. Shami has taken 15 in just 3 for an average of 35. While you would prefer bounce Swing does work in Australia and is even better if the bowler strikes the right length. Which Shami has done better than Sharma at least historically.
I thought it was commonly accepted here that current Sharma is a lot better than older Sharma.

That said, someone's going to break down in the middle of the series (probably Bhuvi) so we should get an opportunity to compare anyway.

the big bambino

International Captain
He is. But he is essentially the same bowler executing his skills better. I’d say bounce is better than swing out here but both can either succeed or fail depending on length

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shami's stats in Australia really flatter him though. Sharma's at least held up an end.

OverratedSanity

You watched matches in Aus recently? Swing bowling is barely a factor past the first six overs. Putting him as a definite no. 1 is a reach. The factors you list for the other two are all more useful than swing, plus he's going to have to adjust his length, which he utterly failed to do last time.
Shami's not a pure swing bowler like bhuvi. Likes landing it on the seam and nibbling it in and out when there's no swing. Can never really tell how he'll bowl though, he was rubbish in the last Australia tour. I see he somehow ended up with an average of 35 which really flatters him.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Swing can be a really good complimentary tool in Australia to pace/bounce/seam. There's not much but it's there. If you rely on swing to beat the bat then you're going to have a bad time, but if like Shami you bowl quick through the air and present an upright seam as well, the added swing will help.

Shami in style (even though obviously not quality) is very similar to Steyn. Steyn did as well in Australia as he did anywhere else (once factoring in that a par score here is slightly higher in general, anyway) so if Shami bowls well he'll do well. Bhuvi on the other hand could bowl amazingly here and still not worry Australia's best bats. And I say that as a Bhuvi fanboy.

vcs

I wouldn't drop Shami right now, fitness and rhythm looks excellent. Was unlucky not to get a big haul at the Oval.

Shami-Bumrah-Ishant would be my first choice attack in Australia, and we'll most probably have to play Hardik as well, for team balance + 4th seamer reasons.

OverratedSanity

If they'd agreed to a day night test, id have definitely wanted them to pick bhuvi. But bumrah shami and ishant have all done very well over the last year and their styles are better suited for Australia.

So obviously, I expect them to drop ishant and play bhuvi in all the tests or something stupid like that. Treating him as expendable in SA and England and considering him undroppable in Australia sounds dumb enough for them to actually do.

morgieb

If they'd agreed to a day night test, id have definitely wanted them to pick bhuvi. But bumrah shami and ishant have all done very well over the last year and their styles are better suited for Australia.

So obviously, I expect them to drop ishant and play bhuvi in all the tests or something stupid like that. Treating him as expendable in SA and England and considering him undroppable in Australia sounds dumb enough for them to actually do.
I would seriously lol. If dropping Bhuvi is justifiable anywhere, it's Australia. I cannot see his style succeeding here at all.

the big bambino

International Captain
It’s a stretch to bridge the difference between Shami and sharma’ s figures by saying Shami was lucky. He was really the most competitive bowler on the last tour and even out bowled some of our pace men. If you are picking Bhuvi in your side you are admitting there is a place for a swing bowler here. Our pitches are good enough to put a discount on Bhuvis batting. With his extra clicks I’d have Shami in ahead of him.