• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

cnerd123

likes this
Phil Taylor dominated darts for many years and won most of the darts majors for several decades, yes. But in terms of standard, he wasn't anywhere near as far ahead of the pack as Bradman.

I believe Taylor rarely averaged over 110, while other top players regularly average over 90. So let's say he was 20% better than the rest. Bradman averaged 100 and the next best batsmen of all time averaged 60. So he was over 50% ahead!

Also, Taylor has no sporting calibre at anything except darts. I don't need to repeat what I have already shown about Bradman's track record at many sports.
What would be you AT XI of cricketers who excelled at other sports too?

Bradman and CB Fry aside, I'm guessing Drik Nannes and Jeff Wilson would feature, and I hope there would space for my personal favorite, M.J. Gopalan

Oh, and ABDV of course

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wonder where Miyagi draws the line between 'athletic sports' and 'less athletic' sports. Cricket seems to lie in the less athletic spectrum, but Baseball in the more. I wonder about Soccer? Rugby? Ice Hockey? Gymnastics? Skiing? What about something less obvious like, say, Motorcycle Racing?
Somewhere between Arjuna and Inzi.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What would be you AT XI of cricketers who excelled at other sports too?

Bradman and CB Fry aside, I'm guessing Drik Nannes and Jeff Wilson would feature, and I hope there would space for my personal favorite, M.J. Gopalan

Oh, and ABDV of course
There is an excellent book, Sporting Doubles on this topic.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And you're comparing him to a guy who dominated two major professional sports in the United States, Baseball as a batsman and outfielder and NFL Gridiron as a running back
Which is why all the major American media companies named him MVP in multiple NFL seasons and he consistently batted over .300 for much of his career.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr. Miyagi, You haven't answered any of the questions I asked, so you lose the argument
He's like the high school student who writes a wonderfully florid, expertly constructed, wonderfully persuasive essay, and fails because he didn't actually address the topic.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Explain to me what makes you think this Jackson fella could face bodyline bowling without protective gear or do gymnatics like Comaneci.
If Bo Jackson met Nadia Comaneci in an MMA contest, obviously Bo Jackson would cripple Nadia Comaneci. Does this mean Nadia Comaneci is not a super great sports person? The problem with the argument you are making is that you are comparing chalk and cheese.
Would like to see Ken Shamrock beat the hell out of Bo Jackson at this point.
Some one argued with me recently that football being a far more professional sport means that cricketers are no where compared to soccer players. Obviously there are far more countries playing soccer. However, does that mean that a great sports person in cricket is not great? Should we stop appreciating the skills of Shane Warne or Brian Lara, say just because Mbappe can run faster than them?
Kindly respond to all the four quoted posts of mine above which you have avoided. Another lesson for you: replying million times and having the last word doesn't mean you win an argument. Making actual points does.

Await lucid response to each of the above points of mine.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Kindly respond to all the four quoted posts of mine above which you have avoided. Another lesson for you: replying million times and having the last word doesn't mean you win an argument. Making actual points does.

Await lucid response to each of the above points of mine.
Cricket batting isn't a real sport. It's a game.

why couldn't you just make your point and then let the thread move on?