• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Bo Jackson met Nadia Comaneci in an MMA contest, obviously Bo Jackson would cripple Nadia Comaneci. Does this mean Nadia Comaneci is not a super great sports person? The problem with the argument you are making is that you are comparing chalk and cheese.

cnerd123

likes this
If Bo Jackson met Nadia Comaneci in an MMA contest, obviously Bo Jackson would cripple Nadia Comaneci. Does this mean Nadia Comaneci is not a super great sports person? The problem with the argument you are making is that you are comparing chalk and cheese.
I love of how all the ways one could attempt to compare sportsmen across different disciplines and eras - in terms of dominance over their peers, longevity, impact on the game, accomplishments, etc. - that we've finally boiled it down to 'who would win in a fist fight'

Daniel Cormier for Greatest Athlete Of All Time please

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm waiting for it to reach the point where the greatest athlete in history is judged purely by how much tail he pulls

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously, you need to have some perspective. Bo Jackson would cripple Federer and cripple Jordan and cripple Bradman and he would cripple Michael Phelps and he would cripple Nadia Comaneci and he would eat them all according to you. You realise you are dissing on some of the greatest sports persons with remarkable ability in utter stupidity?
We're talking about someone who doesn't, as far as I can work out, hold a single major record in either the MLB or NFL and was not unarguably the best at either during his career so far as I can see.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I don't pay that much attention to American sports. But Bo Jackson was a freak. Don Bradman is like Michael Jordan at best or more accurately Wayne Gretzky.

Bradman isn't special as a sportsman. He really isn't. He's like Phil the Power Taylor in the world of sports. That's the reality.
This is simply nonsense. The argument for Bradman isn't just that he dominated cricket to an extent pretty much no one else has ever dominated any major sport, but that, as ***** and myself have already shown, he was able to compete with the best in the world at many sports. Very few people, if any in history have been able to do this. If you insist on sticking to American sports, Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis might be two. Phil Taylor is just a fat convict who happens to be brilliant at arrow flinging.

Starfighter

What's the obsession with comparing cricket and darts by the way? There's a lot more similar between cricket and, say, baseball than cricket and darts.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What's the obsession with comparing cricket and darts by the way? There's a lot more similar between cricket and, say, baseball than cricket and darts.
I suppose it is to say that cricket is a sport for girls compared to real man sports like nfl. If any one has played any amount of cricket, they will realise that cricket is a tough sport for tough men with courage.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This is simply nonsense. The argument for Bradman isn't just that he dominated cricket to an extent pretty much no one else has ever dominated any major sport, but that, as ***** and myself have already shown, he was able to compete with the best in the world at many sports. Very few people, if any in history have been able to do this. If you insist on sticking to American sports, Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis might be two. Phil Taylor is just a fat convict who happens to be brilliant at arrow flinging.
No, what you have a is a guy who dominated in an amateur sport played in Australia, England with some pro's, and in the Whites only of South Africa and dominated, and you're saying "he coulda", he "mighta", he "maybe" could have played full pro sports.

And you're comparing him to a guy who dominated two major professional sports in the United States, Baseball as a batsman and outfielder and NFL Gridiron as a running back, who also ran at college an Olympic medal medal 100m time (which was no fluke with further times at College and High School). And you're saying your amateur played in tiny countries at an amateur level, is better than the guy who dominated three huge sports.

I'm not buying it. Most the cricket forum possibly or probably will as cricket fans. But I'm not. Not even remotely.

Phil Taylor's a dominant hand/eye professional sportsman as much as any cricket batsman. And besides, what does his weight have to do with hand eye, have you never seen a fat batsman?

Carl Lewis isn't in Bo Jackson's league is exactly my point (look at when Jackson ran track in College). If Jackson had chosen track and field, he would run Lewis well down by 1988, without steroids like Ben Johnson needed. Heck - if he had prioritized it over team sports, he may have done it in 1984 even (Jackson did 10.44 at HIGH SCHOOL).

Last edited:

Starfighter

I wonder where Miyagi draws the line between 'athletic sports' and 'less athletic' sports. Cricket seems to lie in the less athletic spectrum, but Baseball in the more. I wonder about Soccer? Rugby? Ice Hockey? Gymnastics? Skiing? What about something less obvious like, say, Motorcycle Racing?

a massive zebra

International Captain
How many championships did Phil Taylor win? Not special? LOL.
Phil Taylor dominated darts for many years and won most of the darts majors for several decades, yes. But in terms of standard, he wasn't anywhere near as far ahead of the pack as Bradman.

I believe Taylor rarely averaged over 110, while other top players regularly average over 90. So let's say he was 20% better than the rest. Bradman averaged 100 and the next best batsmen of all time averaged 60. So he was over 50% ahead!

Also, Taylor has no sporting calibre at anything except darts. I don't need to repeat what I have already shown about Bradman's track record at many sports.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And that triple ton count is firmly out of everyone's reach as well. I say he's the greatest sportsman of all time.
Bo Jackson for mine.
From here at 4.12 AM IST, this thread derailed. We are talking about triple century ratio of Bradman and the thread descends into sheer madness about a random athlete. That shows no respect for the thread or the forum where several people come and enjoy a discussion on cricket. Then, a threat is issued that he will keep posting till people don't reply to him. Misusing the forum as his personal playground. Even if you think he is better sportsperson than bradman as he can beat the hell out of bradman, why couldn't you just make your point and then let the thread move on?

cnerd123

likes this
I don't really care whose the better allround sportsman tbh, I'm just waiting for Miyagi to acknowledge the mistake he made in post #7900 of this thread, back on page 198 (@40ppp)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some one argued with me recently that football being a far more professional sport means that cricketers are no where compared to soccer players. Obviously there are far more countries playing soccer. However, does that mean that a great sports person in cricket is not great? Should we stop appreciating the skills of Shane Warne or Brian Lara, say just because Mbappe can run faster than them?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Phil Taylor dominated darts for many years and won most of the darts majors for several decades, yes. But in terms of standard, he wasn't anywhere near as far ahead of the pack as Bradman.

I believe Taylor rarely averaged over 110, while other top players regularly average over 90. So let's say he was 20% better than the rest. Bradman averaged 100 and the next best batsmen of all time averaged 60. So he was over 50% ahead!

Also, Taylor has no sporting calibre at anything except darts. I don't need to repeat what I have already shown about Bradman's track record at many sports.
You're ignoring how many he won, and that cricket is unlimited, but darts is limited to 180 max.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
From here at 4.12 AM IST, this thread derailed. We are talking about triple century ratio of Bradman and the thread descends into sheer madness about a random athlete. That shows no respect for the thread or the forum where several people come and enjoy a discussion on cricket. Then, a threat is issued that he will keep posting till people don't reply to him. Misusing the forum as his personal playground. Even if you think he is better sportsperson than bradman as he can beat the hell out of bradman, why couldn't you just make your point and then let the thread move on?
Because you kept replying. Duh.