• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No it requires skill. But it doesn't require athleticism, fitness, power, muscles, endurance, power, speed, strength, or anything else.

Tennis is deserving of more respect.

I love cricket. But I know its limitations as a "real sport".
How does it not require endurance to stand at 40 degree heat and score 200 and 300 runs dude?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No it requires skill. But it doesn't require athleticism, fitness, power, muscles, endurance, power, speed, strength, or anything else.

Tennis is much more of a challenge.
You have clearly never played any innings of a considerable length. It requires all of those.

cnerd123

likes this
One of my school friends who used to hate cricket used to make this point that Inzamam is such a fat bloke, so how can cricket be an awesome game. Countering a cricket ball requires skill and any one who has played even a bit of cricket would go beyond the fat argument.
Fat-shaming in sports is the worst. People assume that just because someone has a belly that they can't be athletic. Anyone who has actually competed in sports will tell you this is far from true. Some fat ****s are incredible athletes and they deserve to be given the same respect a chiseled six pack dude gets.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You have clearly never played any innings of a considerable length. It requires all of those.
Nah - it really doesn't. Inzi scored a tripple hundred in NZ and a double hundred in Bangladesh.

It really really doesn't.

Look I love cricket. I love their skill. But lets not overstate the physical reality.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I answered it in one.

I don't think cricket is enough of a sport for a batsman to every qualify as great sportsman, as there's no power, endurance, speed, power or enough navigating what is in front of him as a challenge beyond the hand eye skill of swatting a ball a couple times every 6 minutes.
This isn't an argument about the greatest sports person then. It is about cricket itself. Every NFL player is greater than Lara and Warne I suppose, then. They can run, they are so strong. Warne was so far back in the day, so was Inzamam. How can they be any good. LOL.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Fat-shaming in sports is the worst. People assume that just because someone has a belly that they can't be athletic. Anyone who has actually competed in sports will tell you this is far from true. Some fat ****s are incredible athletes and they deserve to be given the same respect a chiseled six pack dude gets.
Yeah, but that aint cricket :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, good point.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This isn't an argument about the greatest sports person then. It is about cricket itself. Every NFL player is greater than Lara and Warne I suppose, then. They can run, they are so strong. Warne was so far back in the day, so was Inzamam. How can they be any good. LOL.
Maybe. But some NFL linesmen need an oxygen mask after scrimmage. So it really is role specific. And that's just cardio, their strength and power is needed for the role.

Where's cricket in this again Pratters? At the top of endurance like a marathon, and the top of infront of you like boxing or MMA? Power or strength like weight lifting? Speed like 100m? Reactions like hitting a 100mph baseball with a smaller bat than cricket? Or darts?

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's funny. I can go on google and find plenty of hefty professional baseball players, many quite good batters.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Forum has been awfully nice to you but if you reduce cricket batting to just two swats every six balls and no real deal about it, you are being extremely offensive to the cricket lovers on this forum and have no respect for some thing we love here.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Maybe. But some NFL linesmen need an oxygen mask after scrimmage. So it really is role specific. And that's just cardio, their strength and power is needed for the role.

Where's cricket in this again Pratters?
Cricket batting requires you to have tremendous hand eye coordination, batting skills, patience, endurance and it is awesome. **** you.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it requires skill. But it doesn't require athleticism, fitness, power, muscles, endurance, power, speed, strength, or anything else..
lmao spot the guy whose never played cricket before
I mean, he's got a point. Unfit, unathletic fat ****s can succeed at cricket. Athleticism certainly isn't as important in batting as it is in many sports.

I wouldn't agree that it's less of a "real sport" whatever that means, but it's defnitely a less athletic sport. Your physical attributes are way less important for success in cricket relative to most other popular sports.

TheJediBrah

I mean, he's got a point. Unfit, unathletic fat ****s can succeed at cricket. Athleticism certainly isn't as important in batting as it is in many sports.

I wouldn't agree that it's less of a "real sport" whatever that means, but it's defnitely a less athletic sport. Your physical attributes are way less important for success in cricket relative to most other popular sports.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that?

OverratedSanity

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that?
Think Starfighter was. And ***** was going on about how people shouldn't assume fat cricketers don't have athletic ability. Give me a ****ing break. This same guy was whining about Ashwin being a fat **** just a few months ago.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bo Jackson couldn't score a 100 versus Bangladesh, let alone 300.
I wouldn't go that far.

But I'm sure Don Bradman wouldn't rush 91m for a touchdown nor run the 100m under 10.5seconds (beyond the world record in his day too I possibly imagine)

Last edited: