• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Fanie de Villiers is going to go down the path of telling the camera crew to seek out suspicious things then I'd wonder if he might apply the same scrutiny to his own team, also known for getting early reverse swing. Especially one with a known tamperer as captain, the proximity of whose being caught in Hobart makes me suspicious of Rabada's middle innings spell in the first test on an unfavourable pitch using de Villiers' criteria for suspicion.

Can anyone see where this is heading? Camera crews are going to specifically focus on the opposition to try find something. It's not like we already had the thing with Jimmy Anderson, and I remember Siddle being accused when his barely-extant nail was well away from the ball.
The other thing this will do is just raise all the players awareness. If they do plan a bit of tampering, they're going to be a hell of a lot more careful about it now.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is all Red Hill's fault. Ever since he asked for evidence of Australia cheating all you ****s have obsessed so much on this your thoughts have gone into the noosphere and forced the team into doing this against their own will.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, he has copped it on twitter and I agree with you lads.

Supposedly a CricViz statistician but where would one attain such stats ? They would need to know someone from hawkeye or does cricinfo do that these days ?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Red Hill's ok. He's the one guy on here who was really adamant about the Australians having moral authority.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
An object lesson in how to bear a grudge
Except that he has no reason to bear a grudge. On both occasions, BCCI bullied the respective cricket boards and ICC and nothing actually happened. In fact, one could argue the 2001 Dennes moment is when BCCI joined CA and ECB as the powers that run cricket. I have no idea what he's complaining about really.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, he has copped it on twitter and I agree with you lads.

Supposedly a CricViz statistician but where would one attain such stats ? They would need to know someone from hawkeye or does cricinfo do that these days ?
I guess they would get it the same way cricinfo gets it rather than getting it from cricinfo themselves. Presumably that data is available to anyone willing to pay, they aren't exactly commercial secrets.

Borges

International Regular
> Can anyone see where this is heading? Camera crews are going to specifically focus on the opposition to try find something.

Hmm... Neutral camera crews (appointed from ICCs elite panel with specific instructions to keep off the undisputed national heroes of the visiting team) in conjunction with Ball Tampering Video Review System (BTVRS) are clearly the need of the hour.

For the record, I'm quite fine (actually, quite pleased) with the idea of camera crews specifically going after cheats to try and expose them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Except that he has no reason to bear a grudge. On both occasions, BCCI bullied the respective cricket boards and ICC and nothing actually happened. In fact, one could argue the 2001 Dennes moment is when BCCI joined CA and ECB as the powers that run cricket. I have no idea what he's complaining about really.
And thus an object lesson on how to bear a grudge :ph34r:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also to the people who are taking this super seriously and are calling for life bans and who seem to think it's some huge betrayal and are reacting like Smith just came in and kicked their dog, you make me feel a little better about myself because as much as I dislike the way things are currently running for me atm at least I know my head isn't so far up my arse as to treat a poorly executed attempt at cheating in sports as some kind of crime against humanity. I know that tend to lose perspective over this sort of thing, especially on the internet, but seriously? Just take a deep breath and carry on as normal.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think most other international teams shouldn't get on their high horses over this, I don't really buy the fact sandpaper is worse than fingernails, mints or anything. It is obviously the Aussie piousness over this issue in past that rankles, but to be honest I think they may have just collectively lost it as a team over the last few weeks. Doesn't excuse them at all, but when you have someone of the moral fibre of Darren Lehmann leading your team it is to be expected.

The ban given out is fair though - ICC has repeatedly shown they don't consider this a seriously ban worthy issue. They haven't "gone soft" on Smith, they have been consistent(ly ****) with their other cases.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also to the people who are taking this super seriously and are calling for life bans and who seem to think it's some huge betrayal and are reacting like Smith just came in and kicked their dog, you make me feel a little better about myself because as much as I dislike the way things are currently running for me atm at least I know my head isn't so far up my arse as to treat a poorly executed attempt at cheating in sports as some kind of crime against humanity. I know that tend to lose perspective over this sort of thing, especially on the internet, but seriously? Just take a deep breath and carry on as normal.
To be fair, the people who are saying this also by and large don't post here.

I imagine somewhere like ******** or Whirlpool is a "fun" read right now. edit: wait that's filtered? lmao

cnerd123

likes this
To be fair, the people who are saying this also by and large don't post here.

I imagine somewhere like ******** or Whirlpool is a "fun" read right now. edit: wait that's filtered? lmao
what word were you trying to say that got filtered