• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Renshaw
Finch
Maxwell (vc)
Handscomb
White
Smith
Paine (c)
Victorian bowlers

for next Test series. Can't really leave Smith out as much as you'd want to.
Wait no why did I make Paine captain when Finch and White are in the team. Just make Finch Test captain. He's already T20 captain and did a great job and he's averaging about 50 in the Shield over the last 2 years so he just about earns his spot anyway.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't know if it is worse because I can't stand Manjrekar and Lalor.

Sanjay Manjrekar
‏Verified account
@sanjaymanjrekar
Follow Follow @sanjaymanjrekar
More
For those who want life ban on Smith- Faf du Plessis was found guilty of ball tampering twice. 1st time in 2013, he was fined 50% of his match fee. 2nd time in 2016, he was fined 100% of his match fee & demerit points. Following month he was made captain.

Lalor retweets the above saying
Peter Lalor
‏@plalor
More Peter Lalor Retweeted Sanjay Manjrekar
Do Australians hold their cricketers to a higher standard?

It's the pretending now that this was the first time Smith or other Australian cricketers have been involved in ball-tampering of some sort that Lalor now goes down and still a moral high ground. This was just obvious and blatantly desperate and dumb.

With Faf he rejected the zipper and just about everybody uses mints. We all know teams ball-tamper like England's mints and Warner's plasters : England players left wondering if Aussies cheated in the Ashes too | Daily Mail Online

I agree the ball-tampering is ball-tampering premeditated or not but I guess the whole walkie-talkie planning and obvious dumbness and then the press conference was always going to look bad because there aren't avenues to say he definitely didn't do it. It's that previous moral high ground that now makes the Australian public even more angry & I suppose CA feel they need to act more harshly.

But it would be mad to go OTT

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Fanie de Villiers is going to go down the path of telling the camera crew to seek out suspicious things then I'd wonder if he might apply the same scrutiny to his own team, also known for getting early reverse swing. Especially one with a known tamperer as captain, the proximity of whose being caught in Hobart makes me suspicious of Rabada's middle innings spell in the first test on an unfavourable pitch using de Villiers' criteria for suspicion.

Can anyone see where this is heading? Camera crews are going to specifically focus on the opposition to try find something. It's not like we already had the thing with Jimmy Anderson, and I remember Siddle being accused when his barely-extant nail was well away from the ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would love to see comparitives of these stats for England and South Africa.

This is from Benjones_13

Spark

Global Moderator
Anderson and Broad definitely have form IMO. They've been much more clever about it but I'm fairly sure there's been a few dubious instances with respect to what they've been trying to do to the ball.

It really is rampant, if not generally so blatant.

cnerd123

likes this
If Fanie de Villiers is going to go down the path of telling the camera crew to seek out suspicious things then I'd wonder if he might apply the same scrutiny to his own team, also known for getting early reverse swing. Especially one with a known tamperer as captain, the proximity of whose being caught in Hobart makes me suspicious of Rabada's middle innings spell in the first test on an unfavourable pitch using de Villiers' criteria for suspicion.

Can anyone see where this is heading? Camera crews are going to specifically focus on the opposition to try find something. It's not like we already had the thing with Jimmy Anderson, and I remember Siddle being accused when his barely-extant nail was well away from the ball.
The obvious solution to this is that each team send out their own camera crew with the side, and broadcast all streams at all angles for free on the internet for cricket-obsessed fans like us to pore over for incriminating evidence.

Quick someone pitch this to the Big 3.