• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Bancroft should have used double-sided tape and stuck the thing permanently in the palm of his hand: no pocket removals and rubbing the ball would look completely innocuous. Typical Australians: nowt between the ears (even when they are up to their usual dark arts).
Not sure if you are serious, but if HD camera picked up the handwriting on Warner's hand tape, not sure how it would miss a yellow streak going down Bancroft's hand.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean in the broader picture yes, but they were clearly extremely pissed off that Rabada's ban was overturned. Doubtless that contributed to the siege mentality thing they talked themselves into, rather than "hey, we're 1-1 with two Tests to go".
"We tampered with the ball because South African players and fans and match officials not banning rabada hurt our feelings" pathetic excuse.

Sure maybe it affected their judgement but it's still piss weak and the team needs to toughen up in a way it couldn't under smith , Warner and his boys. The whinging this whole tour has been sickening as a fan tbh. Our team is led by petulant children. I don't even care about the tampering its the rest that annoys me.

Smith and warner can keep their spots if they're good enough but never to have influence again.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

burr

State Vice-Captain
Reading an article today, it sounds like Fanie De Villiers (on the afrikaans commentary team) asked for the cameramen to watch the Aussies, because he believed they were getting the ball to reverse before the 20th over. They spotted Bancroft and then followed him with the camera....
You do wonder how long this has been going on for (to greater and lesser degrees). It just popping into the players' minds one lunchtime seems a bit implausible. Even if it did all is tainted now.

S.Kennedy

Bancroft pocketing some sugar (as you do) during the Ashes,

I demand the urn returned forthwith!!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yes it would be a real shock the bowlers might have known that the ball was being tampered with, and/or actually been party to a discussion on how to get the ball moving?
Guessing this means we should be making Steyn and Morkel guilty by association with Faf's UAE zip 'incident'.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reading an article today, it sounds like Fanie De Villiers (on the afrikaans commentary team) asked for the cameramen to watch the Aussies, because he believed they were getting the ball to reverse before the 20th over. They spotted Bancroft and then followed him with the camera....
An hour before the reveal the camera focused on Bancroft at gully about to do the deed and he panicked and looked so nervous.

The slip cordon obviously asked what's wrong and nervously he was like : "They watching me"

Wish we had a video of that. It would actually be quite funny.

Gnske

I really want to go on a rant on Steve Smith's character since he got the captaincy.

Has the overkill been enough do we think?

StephenZA

You do wonder how long this has been going on for (to greater and lesser degrees). It just popping into the players' minds one lunchtime seems a bit implausible. Even if it did all is tainted now.
It is always going on... and I'm not even that upset about the tampering itself, it is the blatant lying to the umpires and general attitude of 'woe' coming out of the Aus camp.

The Faf 'mint' incident, Faf did not deny that he had a sweet in mouth he felt that the punishment was not proportional to what happened on the field and wanted to know why he (over many other doing the same thing) was getting hard done by. It was acknowledged by many players, that sweets and suntan lotion is often used to shine the ball. But he unhappily coped the punishment after the appeal. Few fans or players believed he had brought the game into disrepute.

vcs

If Australia have to go with a clean-skin captaincy option for the start of the next Summer, I'm tipping MMarsh or Pat Cummins

#freshfaced
So that rules Starc out presumably.

If Starc tried roughing up the ball by rubbing it on his face, would that constitute ball tampering?

TheJediBrah

Northern Territory news front page . . . "A man who has stripped naked in Darwin courtrooms multiple times"

Wish I could say it surprised me

S.Kennedy

They cheated against New Zealand. They cheated against India. They cheated during the Ashes. They cheated against South Africa.

Could it be that the entirety of Australia's success since the days of Trumper and Clem Hill has been based on cheating?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Screenshot_20180326-152855.jpg

Disgraced former Australian captain Steven Smith's book gets placed in a different category in a book store.

TheJediBrah

Renshaw
Finch
Maxwell (vc)
Handscomb
White
Smith
Paine (c)
Victorian bowlers

for next Test series. Can't really leave Smith out as much as you'd want to.

Daemon

Bancroft should have used double-sided tape and stuck the thing permanently in the palm of his hand: no pocket removals and rubbing the ball would look completely innocuous. Typical Australians: nowt between the ears (even when they are up to their usual dark arts).
when he takes a catch the replay would show the tape in his palm