• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

R!TTER

State Regular
Gotta love the moral outrage steeped in nationalism. He conveniently leaves out the part where BCCI bullied the ICC and CSA in 2001 which led to the third test being 'unofficial' and the end of Mike Denness' career, and of course all that is nothing compared to 'Monkeygate 2007'
You do know the reason why Mike Denness had to step aside, apart from SRT? He fined many Indian players for overappealing, Sehwag was banned. Of course you wouldn't remember the overzealous appeals from Pollock but this should do - Mike Denness 2001 - YouTube

As for Monkeygate - it's basically he said she said & I wouldn't take the words of an Aussie at face value, just like many of you won't admit SRT's testimony. Though I will add that Harbhajan should've copped a lot more, than he eventually did, even if he abused Symonds' mother.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I like how everyone in cw pretends to know what exactly happened in "Monkeygate". Truth by repetition.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know an in my day post is a frequent occurrence round these parts but I’ve never known an issue to divide CW like monkeygate did back in the day. Good to see it still has mileage a decade on.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know an in my day post is a frequent occurrence round these parts but I’ve never known an issue to divide CW like monkeygate did back in the day. Good to see it still has mileage a decade on.
The KP axing was pretty bad too :p

R!TTER

State Regular
There's some things best left untouched, there's monkeygate (in cricket) & then the Partition of India as far as I'm concerned.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
The whole game is tainted by it..Every cricket playing nation is involved one way or another....The scrabble for the moral high ground is quite frankly laughable

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Figured that the seemingly light nature of the punishment would draw reactions. How bad did earlier ball tampering players get it?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone shed some light on the desperation thing that Smith said. Series was 1-1 and Aussies were not even down and out in the test. I know there is the mentality that you got to be the best all the time but this does not bode well

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Can someone shed some light on the desperation thing that Smith said. Series was 1-1 and Aussies were not even down and out in the test. I know there is the mentality that you got to be the best all the time but this does not bode well
His bowlers were struggling to get wickets.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An excuse to deflect things. As Broad said, they had the ball swinging in ashes so why change tactics now?

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I think they were probably 'desperate' to win at all costs given how horrible the series has been behavior wise the whole way through.

Bolo

State Captain
It's all the regulations permit - the real whining will follow CA's actions
It's not all the regulations permit. They could have charged half the team with bringing the game into ill repute and handed out some pretty hefty bans. That would have been a worse result than this one IMO, but I think they should have gone a little harder

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Figured that the seemingly light nature of the punishment would draw reactions. How bad did earlier ball tampering players get it?
Tendulkar got a one match ban that was overturned, Afridi missed a couple of t20s after getting peckish:laugh:

Most of the rest (Athers, Faf etc) managed to escape without bans but got heavy fines and conceded penalty runs on the field. But, and we went through this yesterday, this one just feels a lot worse.

Last edited: