• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

SeamUp

International Coach
Lalor & KP seem to be hinting something big is around the corner from CA.

But anything more than a few month ban (Like a series) and removal of official leadership would be ludicrous.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Lalor & KP seem to be hinting something big is around the corner from CA.

But anything more than a few month ban (Like a series) and removal of official leadership would be ludicrous.
Seems that way

77F5E0D0-6EAE-4D96-B766-5BED8B761781.png

And I certainly can’t recall any time in history KP has ever opened his mouth without thinking first :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes my very first reaction was 1-year ban for Bancroft - but now that Warner(?) and Smith have also come out I think 6 month ban for all 3 and removal of official leadership should be enough.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes my very first reaction was 1-year ban for Bancroft - but now that Warner(?) and Smith have also come out I think 6 month ban for all 3 and removal of official leadership should be enough.
It'd be an out and out disgrace if Bancroft was banned for any longer period of time than Smith. In fact, Smith should be the one to cop a longer sentence than his stooge.

I don't think 6-month ban is required. Strip Smith permanently of the captaincy, Warner and Bancroft for the rest of the series. They're already being judged in the court of public opinion, and rightly so.

I honestly feel like this is a watershed moment, this and the series, for behaviour going forward. Or it should be.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
When's Australia's next series of any sort?
Random ODIs against England in June, then a single test match and more ODI's against Zimbabwe. Don't have a proper test series against top drawer opposition until after a proposed six month ban would be lifted, which seems a little ridiculous.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Random ODIs against England in June, then a single test match and more ODI's against Zimbabwe. Don't have a proper test series against top drawer opposition until after a proposed six month ban would be lifted, which seems a little ridiculous.
Which probably makes that length of ban more likely - it sounds a whole lot more significant than it actually is.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Which probably makes that length of ban more likely - it sounds a whole lot more significant than it actually is.
Would be pretty sneaky from CA, six months would look like they've doled out something major but they'd get the star men back just in time for the test matches against India.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
I also think a 6 month ban is the most likely outcome given the schedule. Perhaps with the condition that ANY offense after that would result in an further/immediate 6 month ban.

Strip them of leadership roles without the possibility of ever getting it back.

Can CA say they are not available for the IPL? I assume so. Do that too.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I also think a 6 month ban is the most likely outcome given the schedule. Perhaps with the condition that ANY offense after that would result in an further/immediate 6 month ban.

Strip them of leadership roles without the possibility of ever getting it back.

Can CA say they are not available for the IPL? I assume so. Do that too.
Smith's already lost his IPL captaincy, talk on her earlier about rescinding the NOC's.

howardj

International Coach
Smith and Warner to be relieved of the captaincy and vice-captaincy and banned for the remainder of the Series.

Lehmann to be relieved of his position as coach.

That's as far as I would go.

Talk of life bans is ridiculous.

Ball-tampering is only a Level 2 offence (Level 4 being the worst) in the international rules of the game.

howardj

International Coach
I believe we have a Series in a neutral venue (UAE?) against Pakistan in September/October

Mind you, the way we play in the subcontinent, making Smith and Warner tour is more of a punishment than banning them from that Series.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I believe we have a Series in a neutral venue (UAE?) against Pakistan in September/October

Mind you, the way we play in the subcontinent, making Smith and Warner tour is more of a punishment than banning them from that Series.
Per the future tours programme there's no tests in that one though, and losing Smith for white ball games is nowhere near as big of a deal (either for the team or, one imagines, the man himself).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm trying to put this into some context in my head. Is this ball tampering as bad as Warnes diuretics? He copped a year.....is this a similar level violation?

Look as much as I'm enjoying it all and do think there is a some massive karma going on, I just don't see it as being "that" bad to warrant lengthy bans. And if Bancroft, Smith and Warner do cop some serious punishment I'll be absolutely spewing if Lehman escapes unscathed.