• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
But my point is they could have just done it themselves instead of involved Bancroft in the first place. He's got seven caps for crying out loud, no way he's walking up to the senior players and suggesting this himself.
I dunno mate..they could have drawn lots...they could have bullied him into it....theres a legion of reasons of how it could have happened.
They may have suggested it and asked for volunteers and Bancroft may have stepped up to ingratiate himself with the more senior pros...
theres a reason why you stand at "Silly mid off"..Its not usually because of your ability, it starts with being a junior member of the side.
Maybe 3 or 4 of 'em were carrying something and he was the one who took the first opportunity..We will never know

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a wonderful moment for cricket, really. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but surely the way this Australian side goes about their business now has to change. No more series like this one where the 11 v 11 should've been the story but for **** all of the time actually was.

Still hard to fathom that you don't even miss a single game for ball tampering, but I think the result should be that this side will now have to scramble further up towards the moral high ground to avoid ongoing PR issues. Basically they can't behave like ****wits anymore, no one will stand for it - which their nation has allowed them to be in the past. And that's good for guys like Cummins, Hazelwood etc who play good hard cricket without having to resort to being complete **** heads.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I dunno mate..they could have drawn lots...they could have bullied him into it....theres a legion of reasons of how it could have happened.
They may have suggested it and asked for volunteers and Bancroft may have stepped up to ingratiate himself with the more senior pros...
theres a reason why you stand at "Silly mid off"..Its not usually because of your ability, it starts with being a junior member of the side.
Maybe 3 or 4 of 'em were carrying something and he was the one who took the first opportunity..We will never know
"they could have bullied him into it" is pretty much exactly what I'm saying, it's weak behavior and if they were dead set on cheating they should have just done it themselves. When i first got into my school team i fielded short leg even though I sure as hell didn't want to, but nobody ever asked me to shove sandpaper down my jock strap.

Or not for cricketing reasons anyway but that's english public schools for you.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
"they could have bullied him into it" is pretty much exactly what I'm saying, it's weak behavior and if they were dead set on cheating they should have just done it themselves. When i first got into my school team i fielded short leg even though I sure as hell didn't want to, but nobody ever asked me to shove sandpaper down my jock strap.

Or not for cricketing reasons anyway but that's english public schools for you.
:laugh:
I suppose your scenario is a tick for such as Atherton, who did the dirty deed himself.
You may well be right, but obviously Bancroft was not that weak that he was prepared to take all the flak.
I was surprised at Smith, Warner..not so much,

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Matthew Guy MP

Verified account

@MatthewGuyMP
Follow Follow @MatthewGuyMP
More
Why would Steve Smith go when the example set by Victoria's Premier is that it's ok to break the rules and cheat. No leadership.

shark_jumping.gif
Cheap shot from a sniping little Liberal weasel. Google "Matthew Guy Lobster dinner Mafia" for all you need to know about Victorian Liberal political ethics.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo suggesting that Smith and Warner might get life bans from CA. Seems significantly OTT in my view. Yes this is bad, and right now it seems hard to see Smith keeping the captaincy.

But life bans??

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo suggesting that Smith and Warner might get life bans from CA. Seems significantly OTT in my view. Yes this is bad, and right now it seems hard to see Smith keeping the captaincy.

But life bans??
Probably mentioned it to shock the public so when they get 6 month bans in which time there is no cricket to play anyway then all of Australia will nod and say that is fine and they will not miss a match after this series anyway.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant

But life bans??
Pure clickbait, the headline just says they ‘might’ get life bans as punishment. Might as well say Australia ‘might’ have its independence rescinded as a punishment for all internet headlines are worth :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

But life bans??
Yeah, never gonna happen. There's no way CA are going to fire the two great players in an otherwise limited batting lineup over this. Warner might be stood down for the final test (though I sorta doubt it) and you can guarantee neither man will hold leadership positions again, but other than that their careers will continue largely unimpeded.

Burgey

Personally I have never been a fan of Bhajji, but isn't he right about this?
He’s actually not because he copped a plea to a lesser charge than the racial vilification one. So he can’t in any sense say he was not guilty.

OverratedSanity

Oh my god I just saw a segment on a trashy Indian news channel where Harbhajan and Mohammad ****ing Azharuddin said that the Australians' were a disgrace to the game and I can't stop laughing.

Burgey

Yeah, look Azhar. What they did was a disgrace but at least they were cheating to win rather than throw a game. #smallthings