• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Figured that the seemingly light nature of the punishment would draw reactions. How bad did earlier ball tampering players get it?
First I can remember were Wasim and Waquar..That went to a court case didn't it?...I believe Imran khan later admitted to using a bottle top on the ball, since then, as other nations have "learned the art", it seemingly is fine unless you get caught.
Some would argue that shining one side of the ball and leaving the other side alone...is a form of it, especially if you use "mints" like Mr Duplessy (allegedly)
I remember reading a piece years ago by Neville Cardus about visits of Lancashire to Yorkshire in Sheffield...If Lancs were bowling at Yorkshire at Bramall Lane, a new ball would go into the crowd, and be returned like one that had seen 30 overs...So even the crowd are culpable at times...........

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I like how everyone in cw pretends to know what exactly happened in "Monkeygate". Truth by repetition.
Agreed, without evidence you can't really decide. And at that time, I don't think people in India even knew that the supposed word that was used was a racial slur, and even if Harbhajan knew about it, I doubt if he said anything like that. It's harsh to make a decision on the word of a player.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I have never been a fan of Bhajji, but isn't he right about this?
I mean the points system was introduced so that decisions would be more transparent, less biased, and more fair. So complaining about those things working is juvenile.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not all the regulations permit. They could have charged half the team with bringing the game into ill repute and handed out some pretty hefty bans. That would have been a worse result than this one IMO, but I think they should have gone a little harder
They can only be punished for what they have been charged with

Chrish

International Debutant
The "pressure" Smith is facing from here on might equate to what Tendulkar did his whole career :ph34r:

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Also from the article- "The focus has sharpened on Smith and Warner, after it was clarified that the lunchtime discussion did not involve the full 'leadership group,' which has also featured Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon, but was instead undertaken by 'senior players'."

I hope the buses aren't too regular around New South Wales because Smith sure seems to love chucking people under them.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Also from the article- "The focus has sharpened on Smith and Warner, after it was clarified that the lunchtime discussion did not involve the full 'leadership group,' which has also featured Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon, but was instead undertaken by 'senior players'."

I hope the buses aren't too regular around New South Wales because Smith sure seems to love chucking people under them.
They could easily have simply thrown Bancroft under the bus.....wonder why that didn't happen

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
They could easily have simply thrown Bancroft under the bus.....wonder why that didn't happen
Kind of feel like they did in the first place, just by getting him to carry the tape. If you want to cheat at least do it yourself instead of fobbing it off on the youngest and most impressionable member of the team who has seven bloody caps to his name.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
One match ban by ICC is a joke. They hand out similar bans for excessive appealing ffs.

Pretty sure that CA will extend those. But I am sure no rash stuff which could derail the coming money spinner series in the summer vs India.

Might just do a 6 month ban which could put his personal money making season in jeopardy by missing out on Indian dollar league.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Kind of feel like they did in the first place, just by getting him to carry the tape. If you want to cheat at least do it yourself instead of fobbing it off on the youngest and most impressionable member of the team who has seven bloody caps to his name.
Well Bancroft had no choice but to be implicated, given the footage.
It would have been easy for the heirarchy to sort of say
"I honestly don't know what he was thinking"...There you have it , a junior player out on a limb, not much harm done....
I wonder if Bancroft refused to go along with such a scenario.........

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
One match ban by ICC is a joke. They hand out similar bans for excessive appealing ffs.

Pretty sure that CA will extend those. But I am sure no rash stuff which could derail the coming money spinner series in the summer vs India.

Might just do a 6 month ban which could put his personal money making season in jeopardy by missing out on Indian dollar league.
IPL ban would be a very good call but I think that would be outside their jurisdiction surely.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Well Bancroft had no choice but to be implicated, given the footage.
It would have been easy for the heirarchy to sort of say
"I honestly don't know what he was thinking"...There you have it , a junior player out on a limb, not much harm done....
I wonder if Bancroft refused to go along with such a scenario.........
But my point is they could have just done it themselves instead of involved Bancroft in the first place. He's got seven caps for crying out loud, no way he's walking up to the senior players and suggesting this himself.