• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anil Kumble better suited than Chandra. Lot of old timers wax lyrical about Chandra. Kumble is forgotten like he never played test cricket.
Kumble was very unlucky that he played his entire career in an era which had the two greatest spinners ever. His record obviously suffers in comparison to them and he got loads of **** for being merely decent away from home instead of dominating in all conditions like those two. We've only just started to appreciate his overseas performances for what they were and realise how good he was in Australia in 04 and 08 and in SA. In any other era he would've been celebrated much more. In all of cricket history, spinners who dominated in all conditions can be counted on one hand.

Coronis

International Coach
Revisiting my ATG team.... still unsure of one of the bowling positions, would appreciate some feedback.

Hobbs - The greatest opener, bar none. The best batsman on both sides of WWI
Sutcliffe - Not much separating him and Hutton. Saved his best for Australia, leaving him with the best record against them in tests.
Bradman* - ...
Tendulkar - Sheer weight of runs and consistency over 200 matches.
Hammond - The successor to Hobbs as greatest batsman in the world for one great series until The Don showed up :(. Goes big a lot and a useful bowler and excellent slip.
Sobers - One of the greatest batsmen ever... perhaps the most versatile bowler ever... and another great slip. All round excellence.
Gilchrist - Changed the role of the wicketkeeper. Great attacking batsman and a great keeper too.
Marshall - The ultimate fast bowler. Inswing, outswing, extreme pace.. Amazing strike rate and average.
Warne - The greatest leg spinner. As bowlers, Murali may have been a shade more skillful, but Warne's batting + slip fielding here gives him the edge.
McGrath - Unrelenting accuracy, the perfect partner for Marshall.

Unsure of the third bowler. I want to choose mainly based on their bowling, but I'm not sure who would compliment the current lineup more. Thoughts?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
V.Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist +
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Red

A team of guys who never got a chance at T20 but would have dominated it.

B.Richards
V.Richards
G.Pollock
V.Trumper
K.Miller *
C.Walcott +
K.Dev
C.Cairns
J.Garner
H.Verity
C.Grimmett

Gob

International Coach
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Red

A team of guys who never got a chance at T20 but would have dominated it.

B.Richards
V.Richards
G.Pollock
V.Trumper
K.Miller *
C.Walcott +
K.Dev
C.Cairns
J.Garner
H.Verity
C.Grimmett
****, forgot Sobers 8-)

Tom Flint

International Regular
What has kallis got to do to get in someone other than mines atg xi
13000 runs at 53 over 250 wickets and god knows how many catches

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Who do you think is the best after Smith today? AB, Root or Kohli? And whom among them will end up in their ATG teams? All? Interested to know the views.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think ABD's test career is close to end, if people are not including him right now, there's little chance it will change.

Kohli is certainly a more impact batsman than Root, but Root is far better against swing and doesn't have any such weakness, if he fixes his conversion thing he'd have the best chance, It is hard to say if Kohli can fix his issue, but I am almost sure Root will.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think ABD's test career is close to end, if people are not including him right now, there's little chance it will change.

Kohli is certainly a more impact batsman than Root, but Root is far better against swing and doesn't have any such weakness, if he fixes his conversion thing he'd have the best chance, It is hard to say if Kohli can fix his issue, but I am almost sure Root will.
I feel exactly the opposite. It's much harder to fix something which seems a mental aspect of the game than a technical hitch imo. Especially when Root's issues have persisted for a good 3-4 years now.

Also, the lack of conversion is a much bigger flaw in this era than being poor against lateral movement. With so many flat tracks around, you've got to be good at going big.

micz

Cricket Spectator
Revisiting my ATG team.... still unsure of one of the bowling positions, would appreciate some feedback.

Hobbs - The greatest opener, bar none. The best batsman on both sides of WWI
Sutcliffe - Not much separating him and Hutton. Saved his best for Australia, leaving him with the best record against them in tests.
Bradman* - ...
Tendulkar - Sheer weight of runs and consistency over 200 matches.
Hammond - The successor to Hobbs as greatest batsman in the world for one great series until The Don showed up :(. Goes big a lot and a useful bowler and excellent slip.
Sobers - One of the greatest batsmen ever... perhaps the most versatile bowler ever... and another great slip. All round excellence.
Gilchrist - Changed the role of the wicketkeeper. Great attacking batsman and a great keeper too.
Marshall - The ultimate fast bowler. Inswing, outswing, extreme pace.. Amazing strike rate and average.
Warne - The greatest leg spinner. As bowlers, Murali may have been a shade more skillful, but Warne's batting + slip fielding here gives him the edge.
McGrath - Unrelenting accuracy, the perfect partner for Marshall.

Unsure of the third bowler. I want to choose mainly based on their bowling, but I'm not sure who would compliment the current lineup more. Thoughts?
You have a similar xi to mine. Akram for a genuine swing bowler and left arm variety

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
You could possibly throw SF Barnes into that team Coronis. Hadlee & Fiery Fred Trueman are also a good shout.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How's this for an ATG XI?

Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Don Bradman (c)
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (w)
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan

Kickass side. Love it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Sobers is just there for his batting actually. Doesn't need to bowl at all. Plus Marshall's not really an all-rounder (though his and Warne's batting is integral to the balance of the side, yes.

Last edited: