• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Just out of curiosity, what would you say if I said Stuart Broad is a better bowler than, say, Micheal Holding?
firstly you have to specify the reasons for your conclusion.Broad's avg: is 28.54 & Holding's is 23.68 .A difference of almost 5 in Holding's favour. If you said Broad is only 23.68/28.54 = 82.97% a bowler as that of Holding, then i would assume that you are most senseless w.r.t cricket expertise. This is because plain avg:es as such are not at all reliable.
We need to take the contexts too. Here what are the contexts ? 1. Holding played in an era where it was much more bowler friendly. You can trace out easily a much higher no: of <25 bowlers in Holding's era when compared to that from Broad's era. Broad has played 102 tests when compared to Holding's 60. So longevity wise we have to give more marks to Broad. And Holding got better support from his bowling unit when compared to that of Broad. So all three combined,
Broad is a lot nearer to Holding than his plain bowl avg: suggests. 'Whether he is better to Holding or not' requires much deeper analysis of the extents of the effects of all the factors( may be some other factors too) on his bowling .This is really a difficult exercise .But one thing for sure, Broad is a lot nearer to Holding than his plain bowl avg: suggests

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad has also played half ormore of his tests in England, which provides friendlier conditions for bowlers of his type than his contemporaries. Having said that, pitches in West Indies were more bowler friendly when holding played too. These are the sorts of variable I guess everyone should take into account when assessing these things.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Holding is a significantly better bowler than Broad. Significantly.

Burgey

Let's get back on track and talk some more about Spuddy Al Hasan compared with great all rounders. Or has that rightfully been put to bed now? Next thing people will be comparing Shane Watson with Imran Khan and Keith Miller. The whole thing is a *****-inspired (two words I never thought I'd see conjoined) farce.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shakib may be better than Mushtaq Mohammad. And that's quite decent praise given MM makes many all time Pak sides.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I cannot accept the fact that Broad is anywhere near Holding - and I do not even think Holding as the best of the West Indian pace quartet. All of these medium pacers are dangling around the late 20s - early 30s.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Shakib still has more than 5 years left and he's very much injury free through out. The next challenge for him is to elevate himself more and win matches for Bangladesh. His individual numbers are great but where other top all rounders excelled in was their more match winning contributions I would imagine.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem for Shakib in these comparisons is going to be that he will never end playing enough test matches, or have those big daddy peak seasons when guys are at their best and doing things at will - a bit like Smith now or Cook during 2010/11. Playing 2-3 test matches a year means he never gets to have seasons like that, and it would reflect in his stats unfortunately. Ultimately a couple of decades later when people are comparing him with other ATG all rounders and not having those stats will hurt him in those debates

cnerd123

likes this
I'd argue Shakib has been bowling as well as ever, it's just that other bowled are now taking wickets instead so he's playing more of a support role than an attacking one.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
His bowling in Tests has been a bit disappointing though. He used to pick up 5 wicket hauls before and used to be the main strike bowler. Understand that Mehedi has stepped up but his lack of wickets is a problem

Daemon

From Shakib's Cricinfo profile: "His on-field performances and off-field professionalism set a benchmark that was followed by peers and juniors alike."

OverratedSanity

Hundred + 7 wickets to win Bangladesh their 100th test. The bloke is absolutely a great and anyone not agreeing is being unnecessarily stubborn.