• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

indiaholic

International Captain
I remember the Broad stopping the ball incident in that match, which is extremely dubious because you run the risk of damaging the shiny side.. Don't remember what Anderson did. Tried searching but couldn't find any videos for Anderson.

Tom Flint

International Regular
South Africa have been known as ball tamperers for years and faced almost no punishment, however this incident doesn't look like much.
Isnt there footage of one of their players rubbing the ball on his armpits whilst standing on the wicket lol. Forget who it was exactly.

indiaholic

International Captain
That article seems to suggest South Africa didn't register a formal complaint due to not having enough evidence. Btw i am not arguing that the ball was not tampered. I am pretty sure it happens all the time. Just saying that there was no video evidence. Faf was unlucky/stupid to get caught.

Compton

International Debutant
I'm glad people are finally debating the validity of the legal concept of "pics or it didn't happen"

Heboric

International Debutant
That article seems to suggest South Africa didn't register a formal complaint due to not having enough evidence. Btw i am not arguing that the ball was not tampered. I am pretty sure it happens all the time. Just saying that there was no video evidence. Faf was unlucky/stupid to get caught.
Some wanted to i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUU7lrglpE

I am not defending Faf, just pointing out South Africa arent the only culprits and how conveniently some people on here forget their own teams mischief.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No but if you're acknowledging that, then you should realize that being caught or camera or not is irrelevant. They all do it. Period.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
and again

'I am arguing with jmay, who supports england. Therefore I am arguing with england.'
Again this happens here all the time as well. A member is held responsible for the actions of their team or cricket board. It's time moderators draw a line and apply it consistently for everyone.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I dont need to post anything here when its easily found - there is this small thing called Google. I heard its a useful tool.

And whats the ****ing point if its on video or not
The point of it not being on video means that you have no proof, as I suspected. You denied something that is a fact then when challenged have decided you don't have to provide evidence to back it up.

adub

International Captain
Think Handscomb's getting a tough run here

Sheffield Shield:

21 year old averaged 26
22 year old averaged 30
23 year old averaged 54
24 year old averaged 44
25 year old averaging 49 after two matches.

The Home of CricketArchive
Look, I think there are waaaaaay worse calls than Handscomb.

But digging a little deeper into that 54 average year you find he started out at 6 with scores of 108*, 96, 10, 134. He had the gloves on for two of those three games so if you were putting him up as a replacement for Nev I'd be interested in where you're going.

He was promoted to 5 for the rest of that season and in 9 innings didn't reach 15 5 times. A ton, 2 50s and a 48 kept the average up for the season, but it really was that 3 game burst @ 6 that makes the numbers look good.

The next season he moved up to 4 and produced a 44 average season. Good, but not great.

That's why I rate KPat in front of Handscomb. Runs @ 5 or lower I discount as an indicator of ability to perform as a top order test bat. Sorry, but it just ain't the same as coming in at 3 or 4 and consistently performing (which is why I also don't want to get too excited about Lehmann until he proves he can do it up the order). Patterson was thrown in at 3 last season and swam. A consistent 52 season @3 is just much more indicative of having what it takes at Test level to me than a 54 season that relies almost exclusively on 3 big scores batting 6 and then falling away when you've moved up to 5.

Handscomb needs a 50 or near season @4 to convince me he's really got what's required. Or he could swap the keeping duties with Wade. It would probably improve both men's chances of promotion.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did anyone even say other teams don't do it?
Australia doesn't do it. That's why we're crap. Nothing to do with terrible batting.

England won the greatest series in its history by ball tampering, the 2005 Ashes. Coldest, most miserable, most verdant conditions in the world and the ball reverses 12 overs into an innings. Spare me. They stilldo it, which is why they've won their home Ashes series since.

Pakistan invented the art of peeling an orange with a bottle top with one hand. The original ball tamperers and still hard at it. That's why we lost in UAE recently.

India have long done it, as evidenced by the Tendulkar footage. That's why he's so revered there. It's why we can't win in India.

Faf is but the latest in a long line of Saffer tamperers. Explains their past three series wins here. It's why they can't win ODI WCs - two balls are harder to effectively tamper than one.

SL has.plainly got with the program recently too. We thought our blokes were missing straight balls in the recent series, but they were actually swerving really, really late.

We don't do it, NZ doesn't do it. I've yet to see the Bangers partake, nor the Zimbobs. The Windies have tried it but the Board can't agree on the correct method.

Nothing wrong with Australian cricket. We've been robbed.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just seen a video of the incident and it's incredibly blatant

Having said that, I dont really care as the lolly didnt make Oz play badly

Burgey

Just seen a video of the incident and it's incredibly blatant

Having said that, I dont really care as the lolly didnt make Oz play badly
You don't know how hard it must be, trying to be the last bastion of good sportsmanship in world cricket. The burden is overwhelming and that's why our guys played badly.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah honestly I agree with those who say Faf should only be punished for getting caught.

No doubt the casual news outlets are using it as a scapegoat for our utter ****ness.

Regarding also young batsmen who are in the frame of selection, who was the last young batsmen who wasn't Smith or one of the regulars to have a really outstanding shield season with a Katich-esque average with at least more than a middling amount of runs? Have a feeling I might be missing someone obvious, but those Handscomb numbers by season highlighted the issue I think is major with our up and coming batsmen. Decent seasons with nothing too outstanding.

Burgey

FMD they've gone for Cracker Hohns for the rest of the summer in Marsh's place. Bet that Sutherland bloke didn't even read my application.

[h=3]Cameron Burge <***********************@gmail.com>[/h]
17:37 (16 hours ago)

Dear Sir or Madam,

I note the resignation of Rod Marsh as national selector today and hereby apply for the vacant role.

I've played, coached, watched and written about cricket for 42 of my 47 years. I'm a decent judge and have a good eye for talent, as demonstrated by my taking the Wenty Waratahs Under 14s from last place to premiers in two seasons. Of course, those kids, unlike much of the current Australian side, were prepared to have a go and did not listen to people constantly blowing smoke up their backsides even when they under-performed. They were attentive and wanted to learn. They didn't have Peter Costello levels of entitlement like our current national side.

I love the game and feel that my years of devotion to it ought to be rewarded. In the sense that I've always loved cricket and been involved with it, I won't be a blow-in like Pat Howard. I also won't listen to cheer leaders like the idiotic crew on Channel Nine who have so dumbed down the game it's no wonder the players think everything is ok as long as they display "good body language and intent".

Under my tenure, the closed shop of selection will be no more. People can see the elites are not delivering the results expected. There won't be any more England 1990s style selections of 30-something mediocre players who've never had bumper first class seasons. Instead there will be an emphasis on youth. By that I mean all youth, not just the offspring of former test players turned coaches.

Those young players will be encouraged to bat for long periods of time, in all conditions. I know that seems to go against the current ethos of CA, which thinks the BBL is more important than either the test team or the Sheffield Shield. But the latter will no longer be used as a practice game for test players, where they can opt in or out of matches mid way through as they see fit. I am also sick of batsmen being let off the hook because "that's the way we play" and "he was showing good intent". It's bollocks. Never mind intent, how about picking blokes who have a bit of ticker and put a price on their wicket instead of wafting at balls three feet wide of off stump in the first over of a test? I'm looking at you, Warner. These people need to be told when they're having a shocker, not get another OLED TV ad deal because they hit a couple of bombs in a meaningless T20 against The Chennai Super Kings six months ago. It's dross, and you know it.

I'm sick of it. The people are sick of it. Based on his comments yesterday, the captain is sick of it, and not before time. The skipper wants his side to show some heart. Make me a selector and I'll see to it the players who are picked have so much heart they make the human aorta that is Peter Siddle seem like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz (Siddle's past it by the way, and I won't pick him. Let him know).

Take the game back to the grass roots by appointing a grass roots selector. Give me a crack at selecting the side for the rest of the summer, and I'll even throw in a re-emphasis on the domestic four day competition so it means something once again.

Don't go back to former players. It hasn't worked with the coach, it hasn't worked with the selectors. The idea that being aggressive at all costs entitles you to leeway when you're getting bent over every test is rubbish. Same with this idea that you play for raging turn every time you visit the subcontinent, only to get rolled by sliders every dig. No more. I've had it. It's gutless and, quite frankly, it's unmanly.

There is one remaining bastion only in Australian cricket. No team from Asia has ever won a test series here. If you keep going the way you are, with the endless circle jerk of former players, that record will be gone by the end of January. The only way forward is to appoint outsiders to key selectorial roles. It's time to scout the land for young players with the right temperament and attitude and to give them a go, not looking for short term solutions with blokes debuting over 30. It cheapens the cap. It besmirches this once great cricketing nation. It's not me saying it. People tell me all the time. I meet them, they say "They've picked another 34 year old. I can't believe it!" Sad.

I am prepared to take the drop in pay to undertake this role. I'll even go to Brisbane if I have to look at players up there, even though it's a terrible city and the climate in summer is awful. But only if I am put up at the Hilton. Likewise, if I have to visit Melbourne I will,but I only stay at the Grand Hyatt on Collins and I must get a regular table for Sunday lunch for Mrs Burge and I at Vue du Monde.

Please put my application before James Sutherland post-haste. This is no time for delay. The team is in crisis. It needs a new broom to sweep clean. Together, we can and will make Australian Cricket great again.

Should James wish to discuss the direction I intend to take the team, he can contact me via this email address. That is, assuming he hasn't been shown the door after this latest fiasco on his watch.

Yours faithfully,

Cameron.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
The point of it not being on video means that you have no proof, as I suspected. You denied something that is a fact then when challenged have decided you don't have to provide evidence to back it up.
Pretty rich coming from you. You havent given the proof of Philander getting "sick" to skip flat tracks.