• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vic's infringing into my territory tbh

said it before, it's absolutely ridiculous that the ACT doesn't have a team. We've added one team to the shield in almost 70 years now (Tassie in the 70/80's, WA came in after WW2 right?). It's insane. ACT just has to be added (and similarly to the CA XI, there's steps being taken towards it. In the U17s/U19s, it's now NSW metro and NSW country/ACT. I think there's now a Vic metro and country too? Along with a CA XI and Northern Territory XI)

and like, if you wanna expand the BBL, you're gonna need the bulk of those guys tobe playing FC/List A cricket anyway
I think the biggest argument against it would be that they'd kind of need to extend the season, and they really, really don't want to do that.

Even if nothing else though, I think adding the combined ACT + NSW Country team makes sense, even if it meant some sort of uneven draw.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a bit of a cause/effect thing.

Since the professionalisation of first class cricket, more guys hanging around with only 6 first class teams means that not many guys are getting many opportunities under the age of 22. So since 2000 not many have established a good enough record <25 to push for selection.

Smith and Hughes probably the two guys who did manage to do it.
Just add to this, it's not like there's a deep history of <25 guys playing for Australia (make that batting for Australia)

like, this aged 24 and under sorted by runs made: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

so there's 16 who have made 1000 runs by 24. Most of them are the greatest batsman produced by the country. Ponting and Smith are there, and they started really firing at the 24yo mark.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could you split some of the existing states up? Have two NSW teams - one based out of Sydney and another one out of Newcastle or something?
As he pointed out, they already kind of do that at youth carnivals -- Victoria have two teams and NSW have one and a half (NSW Country and the ACT share a team).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the biggest argument against it would be that they'd kind of need to extend the season, and they really, really don't want to do that.
I totally agree that's the problem. But I'm sure they can find a way to work it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Apart from Faf and the zipper incident what other incidents can you think of?
Apart from two of the only incidents of ball tampering in international cricket in the last few years? They are the only international team who have faced any kind of sanction since 2013 and they've had it twice. Hardly a leap is it.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I remember correctly, Boucher on a talk show being asked about some of the dark arts of wicket-keeping... and explaining how in his early career he had been advised to keep a little sandpaper in WK gloves to ensure the ball got roughed up properly... never said who told him that and not that he ever did it :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd be interested to ask players from the 1990s what State 2nd XI games were like - it's generally seen as very "selfish" cricket amongst the guys who I've played with.

Heboric

International Debutant
Think it's ok when players in the Big Three do it though.

Same with providing info to bookies etc.
Yep they say they use 4x4 vacuum cleaners because so much has been swept under the carpet in certain cricket boards , normal vacuum cleaners cant do the job...

People who live in glass houses shouldn't pocket dust.

Or something.
Marcus Trescothick really loved sweets ...

A wrong act is not excused by drawing equivalences with other wrong acts.
True, but also one cant get on ones high horse when ones own nation is just as guilty

Last edited: