• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiaholic

International Captain
Not really. AFL didn't kick people out who had #standbyhird signs despite the fact they were going after him. Its free speech. The signs aren't rude offensive to women or Mel.

Gayle's a dick but people have the right to have a sign that says they like him.
Free speech rights don't apply in sports stadiums.

Spark

Global Moderator
did you just ditch the ravens avatar for that abomination
Yeah for real, what the **** is that.

Not really. AFL didn't kick people out who had #standbyhird signs despite the fact they were going after him. Its free speech. The signs aren't rude offensive to women or Mel.

Gayle's a dick but people have the right to have a sign that says they like him.
*groans*

I mean, I didn't say that they didn't have a requirement to do so. Just that they'd get blasted if they didn't

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Free speech rights don't apply in sports stadiums.
I get that. I'm not saying it is illegal to reject it. I am just saying they should allow it.

Edit: Do they ban those signs at the next Renegade game I wonder? Do they ban any Gayle signs?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah for real, what the **** is that.

*groans*

I mean, I didn't say that they didn't have a requirement to do so. Just that they'd get blasted if they didn't
They're going to get blasted either way given how polarising the topic is. I realise they're probably more interested in minimising the blast and losing as few viewers/sponsors/attendees as possible than making sure their actions are proportionate, but I do think this is probably disproportionate on both fronts. I think taking a "we don't condone the message of the signs but they don't violate our policy on fan banners" stance would've been best here.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Off topic, but it was ballsy for the Renegades CEO to call the other recent accusations against Gayle "opportunistic"

CA will be cracking the ****s at him behind the scenes.

Spark

Global Moderator
They're going to get blasted either way given how polarising the topic is. I realise they're probably more interested in minimising the blast and losing as few viewers/sponsors/attendees as possible than making sure their actions are proportionate, but I do think this is probably disproportionate on both fronts. I think taking a "we don't condone the message of signs but they don't violate our policy on fan banners" stance would've been best here.
Yeah exactly. Classic no-win situation for them, regardless of what the most proportionate response on the matter is. In the end the fact that they're trying to pitch the competition to a new, younger, and more diverse demographic than your stereotypical blokey cricket watcher is probably what's swayed them here.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Classic no-win situation for them, regardless of what the most proportionate response on the matter is. In the end the fact that they're trying to pitch the competition to a new, younger, and more diverse demographic than your stereotypical blokey cricket watcher is probably what's swayed them here.
So are Gayle signs banned at the next Renegade match when he comes out to bat? They've made it pretty tough on themselves imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
So are Gayle signs banned at the next Renegade match when he comes out to bat? They've made it pretty tough on themselves imo.
Yeah that's gonna be super awkward for a hell of a lot of people.

Wonder if he'll get booed by some.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The thing is, he hasn't been banned. He is openly permitted to play the next game - his team hasn't banned him and the League or CA hasn't come over the top. If he had been banned or suspended I can understand them saying "we're going to be overly cautious here and remove signs"

But there is literally no difference with someone having #standbygayle sign in the crowd compared to the actual ****ing guy batting and potentially hitting sixes with the commentators talking about how awesome a batsman he is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think they'll probably draw a distinction between signs that seem to reference his interview and standard fan signs that are just supporting him as a player. I think they've taken the wrong route and there will be a big grey area to sort out now but I definitely don't think they'll ban all Gayle-related signs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Imagine some young kid has a huge sign that says "I support Chris Gayle" and security comes out and removes it but he actually just meant he likes Gayle and he just likes to express his views in a very precise manner :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
Either way this'll surely be his last BBL season. No way are CA going to let any club touch him with a barge pole after this mess.

indiaholic

International Captain
Hahaha agreed that taking down the signs is probably wrong but if I was in charge, I would have done the same thing... Pretty sure I would prefer falling on the way too PC side of the debate and lose a few reddit neckbeards than risk annoying the sponsors or the family audience.

cnerd123

likes this
Man this thread is boring when the grown-ups are posting and being all logical and balanced and ****. And who the **** let Dan back in here?

Blocky couldnt be unbanned soon enough. Can't wait to see what he would bring to the table.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Man this thread is boring when the grown-ups are posting and being all logical and balanced and ****. And who the **** let Dan back in here?

Blocky couldnt be unbanned soon enough. Can't wait to see what he would bring to the table.
What this thread really needs is for shivfan to come back and call us all racist.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The only person in all this that has actually acted maturely is Mel McLaughlin herself. The rest have been just a shambles.

cnerd123

likes this
What this thread really needs is for shivfan to come back and call us all racist.
I do not know this poster, but I already like him.

Also I imagine both WW and Dawood would have good value too.

Wonder if we can coax Captain Cook into another angry young white mens right activist rant, or maybe kiwivictor can tell us more about mating rituals in the Carribean...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I do not know this poster, but I already like him.

Also I imagine both WW and Dawood would have good value too.

Wonder if we can coax Captain Cook into another angry young white mens right activist rant, or maybe kiwivictor can tell us more about mating rituals in the Carribean...
No you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.