• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to England on a very good series win..haven't seen Buttlers innings but glad he got some as I do rate him..

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Possible but 2019 World Cup doesn't look likely for Anderson. The current team is being formed with 2019 World Cup in mind.
It's hard to say. It's just way too soon to know tbh You can talk about this side being made for the 2019 World Cup, but every team has guys who end up playing the WC who had only been in the side for a short period. In the last one Australia had guys like Hazlewood and Smith, NZ guys like Boult and Elliot, England Moeen and Taylor, none of whom were really in World Cup plans in 2011 or 2012. England did most of their building towards the 15 World Cup with guys like Cook, Trott, Swann/Tredwell, Finn and Dernbach, none of whom played the decisive World Cup games.

New guns will emerge who we don't really know about yet and if guys like Anderson are still around, there's no reason for them to not be in the frame.

I also have a feeling Cook will play the 2019 World Cup.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
See no reason for Anderson not to play the World Cup barring retirement. There's a reason he went into the last World Cup as the best new ball bowler, it's because he's ****ing excellent in English conditions.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I also have a feeling Cook will play the 2019 World Cup.
Hmmmm, personally I could see it working in English conditions but that would be a big U turn from the selectors. Not sure Cook would want it either now his test form is back up there.....mind you a home WC would be a big carrott.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmmm, personally I could see it working in English conditions but that would be a big U turn from the selectors. Not sure Cook would want it either now his test form is back up there.....mind you a home WC would be a big carrott.
Nah, he'd be desperate to play it. If it happens I think it'll be at least 2 and a half/three years down the line though, so his return to form now isn't that relevant.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And that is why Buttler batting at 6 is stupid.
Kudos to Morgan/Trev/whoever for the lineup change though. The sort of thing we've watched other teams do for about 25 years while we'd sent a nurdler out on the rare occasions we were one or two down after 30 overs

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No. 6 is a very very underrated position in ODIs. More often than not no. 6 gets more than 15 overs to play. You want one of your best batsmen to play there. It's not for nothing Dhoni played there for a long time, and now he wants to come up only seeing Raina has matured. Buttler is perfect at no. 6 for England imo. Personally I don't see anyone else good enough for the job (assuming Root/Morgan aren't going to bat there).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, bloke's our best ODI batsman, he needs to be coming in high enough to properly influence games. 6 is either too late because there's not enough overs left for him or because there's too many wickets lost and not enough batsmen left.

For the same reason I don't think Dohni should be batting 6 for India either.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He only got promoted in this match because we were 1 down for so long. He came in after 35 overs which is pretty typical for a #6.

It's possible to be the best batsman in the side by being the best from that time onwards. It also doesn't make you automatically the best to come in at any time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He could come in one higher, say #5.
Nah I think he should bat 6 in a 'normal' (ie. not 150/2 after 30 overs) order unless Morgan bats six, and that's not going to happen. The last thing you want is Taylor coming in with ten overs to go, so he'd have to be dropped for an inferior overall batsman and it just wouldn't be worth it IMO.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, bloke's our best ODI batsman, he needs to be coming in high enough to properly influence games. 6 is either too late because there's not enough overs left for him or because there's too many wickets lost and not enough batsmen left.

For the same reason I don't think Dohni should be batting 6 for India either.
I disagree solely because you have 2 very good ODI batsmen at nos. 3 and 4 in Root and Morgan, and Taylor can't play at no. 6. If this was an England team of the past then Buttler should've come earlier - but the current lineup of Roy-Hales-Root-Morgan-Taylor-Buttler-Ali is working fine...If I have to make a change I may have Ali opening with Roy (obviously only if Hales doesn't work in the long-run and that's my prediction) and Stokes at no. 7

Agree on Dhoni though, but that's for a different reason i.e. Rahane at no. 3 is far more useful than anywhere else imo. My batting order is (as I've been saying from before the WC) Dhawan-Rohit-Rahane-Kohli-Dhoni-Raina

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's also not your best ODI batsman, Root is. Morgan is better too, since he's out of that horror patch he was in during the WC. He's certainly the best man in England for his role though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not having a fixed batting order would help. Bring Jos in after ~30 overs, whether that be him at 3 or at 6.