• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Santner stepped up a level in 2014-15 list A campaign. Made match winning contributions with bat, handy with ball. ND only won 4 of 9 list A games in 2014-15, but Santner's batting in wins included 86 (66) and 73* (63) batting at #6, bowling in wins included 9.3-39-2, 9-46-1, 9.2-25-2.

IMHO is at the same point of his career as Neesham and Anderson in early 2013 when they were picked for SA tour, picked on promise and technique, rather than from limited success / experience after only a couple of full domestic seasons. Neesham and Anderson picks have worked well ....
yeah, fully agree.

Even if he goes through a couple of droppings before he figures it out or even if he proves to be a spud, he's worth a shot.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
How on earth does this Santner guy get a game? I he was Australian he'd probably struggle to get into state 2nd XIs and here he is playing ODI cricket? Surely NZ have got better than him to select from. smh
How do you figure that? Don't recall NZ producing an array of quality spinners whose name wasn't Vettori in over 2 decades I have watched cricket.

I can kind of see how you might expect the 2nd best world cup team to have somebody better but when the spinner of the best team is Xavier ****ing Doherty, there is really no room to talk.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well done England - one for the record books.

Didn't watch the game - was Morgan going to bowl as well if he'd won the toss, or was it clearly a bat first day and pitch?

Mark Reason will be able to write more articles about McCullum's poor captaincy now

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good thing there's all that goodwill hangover from the World Cup and thus desperate need to convert a Test into 3 ODIs.

[Caveat: I didn't see the game, but thought a snarky post would be the right tone to strike after losing an ODI by 200+ runs]

Congratulations to England.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
This isn't news. Henry's never been a good death bowler, even in the early days when he was averaging about 15 per wicket in ODI's.
Kinda miss worded that: he bowled poorly regardless of his role, but the role is not for him either.
Without corey and timmeh who does bowl at the death?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda miss worded that: he bowled poorly regardless of his role, but the role is not for him either.
Without corey and timmeh who does bowl at the death?
McCleneghan is supposedly a death bowler too.

I was a big Corey advocate during the world cup when his figures were taking a beating - he was bowling pretty well, just had to bowl at the worst possible times and do a job for the team. I think his bowling has improved greatly in the ODI format and is pretty valuable to us.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done England - one for the record books.

Didn't watch the game - was Morgan going to bowl as well if he'd won the toss, or was it clearly a bat first day and pitch?

Mark Reason will be able to write more articles about McCullum's poor captaincy now
Reason's article on McCullum's captaincy was as poor as I've ever read. Basically he wants all the endeavour, valour and enterprise with zero risk. Presumably Mr Reason is also on the lookout for a stock portfolio with high return and no chance of downturn.

And the NZ Herald also tells us this morning that the 'honeymoon is over'. You know, because our last game was a World Cup final but the first ODI of five constitutes a bubble bursting.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone might think that modern journalists are prone to being hit in the chin by a jerky knee.

As a result, I get all of my sports news from the most trustworthy and thorough journalism establishment in the country. All of their journos are excellent, especially those in the sports department. I, of course, refer to the stately ODT.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone might think that modern journalists are prone to being hit in the chin by a jerky knee.

As a result, I get all of my sports news from the most trustworthy and thorough journalism establishment in the country. All of their journos are excellent, especially those in the sports department. I, of course, refer to the stately ODT.
Is Seconi still down there? That guy was/is an out there character...second only to Anendra Singh Dhoni at the Hawke's Bay paper.

But yeah you're 100 percent right, the amount of knee jerking is insane. Reason is talking up DC as the best 10 in the country again, I'm certain he'd written him off a month prior?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Todays headlines:
NZ Lose, Knees Jerk.

You got Rooted and Buttlered. It happens. The sky isn't caving in ffs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, that article was hilarious, especially when he started going off about what an obviously terrible decision it was to bat first at the MCG. Not quite up there with the time he insinuated that the Indians were fixing when McCullum scored his 300, or the time he insinuated that McCullum didn't give a **** about Phil Hughes and was only using his death to unsettle the Pakistanis, but a decent effort nonetheless. Toxic ****.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nice, well done England! Certainly wasn't expecting such a hammering. Could be an interesting ODI series after all.

Root and Buttler such guns.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, that article was hilarious, especially when he started going off about what an obviously terrible decision it was to bat first at the MCG. Not quite up there with the time he insinuated that the Indians were fixing when McCullum scored his 300, or the time he insinuated that McCullum didn't give a **** about Phil Hughes and was only using his death to unsettle the Pakistanis, but a decent effort nonetheless. Toxic ****.
The fixing one was the worst. Insinuating Rahane (?) had accidentally taken a catch to dismiss Brendon etc (I didn't read the Hughes stuff, thank god). It's one thing that rips me apart about modern media, that knee-jerking under-credentialled know-nothings like Rattue, Reason and Mark Watson are able to gain such traction with their outrageously unbalanced, unknowledgeable crap.

The MCG stuff is also hindsight tripe. One point I will concede is the way Brendon played a guy who had 20-odd poles at 10s. There's courage then there's callousness, no matter how he'd played up til then. The great Australian sides of the 90s/2000s had the humility to look after Dan V then clobber the rest of them, Baz didn't unfortunately.

Anyway, well played England above all this. They've got a nation of very capable cricketers who have now proven they can blast anyone out of the water when they drop the old boys' society mentality and take games on. No more of this Bopara etc rubbish, build your future around the guns like Root, Buttler, Jordan, Stokes, Rashid etc who might fail spectacularly one day but will win you a game the next time out. Hopefully they build a bit of momentum and belief into the Ashes, as they did in 05 on the back of a winning ODI side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The MCG stuff is also hindsight tripe. One point I will concede is the way Brendon played a guy who had 20-odd poles at 10s. There's courage then there's callousness, no matter how he'd played up til then. The great Australian sides of the 90s/2000s had the humility to look after Dan V then clobber the rest of them, Baz didn't unfortunately.
Yeah, though even then the ball he was bowled off was the one ball that he actually played an orthodox checked drive to. Should've kept going with the head in the air, swing for the fences stuff imo.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yeah part of the reason the all attack strategy worked so well was because his defensive technique is pretty poor against top level bowlers. To say he would've survived starc if he'd played defensively is a really poor assumption.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Root and Buttler and Stokes are all gun. Wood looks decent if not gun.

Why don't they just pick Taylor too?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Reason is right about Carter though. Best first 5 to ever play the game. Not as destructive as he once was but still a better defender, passer and tactician than Barrett. And I'm from Wellington so you know I love Beaudy (and Crudes). You can always bring Barrett off the bench.

Btw, how good is that Milner-Scudder bloke? I thought losing Andre Taylor would be a massive loss but the Canes' ability to produce outside backs is probably only matched by Fiji.