• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GGG

State Captain
I think Williamson will be a better 20/20 and ODI batsman, if he isn't already better, not sure if he will ever be as good in tests though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boys playing their gf this morning at a huge ground and all I can think of is #GeorgeThorntonReserveSoBig

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Williamson will be a better 20/20 and ODI batsman, if he isn't already better, not sure if he will ever be as good in tests though.
almost everyone in int'l cricket is a better 20/20 batsman tbf.

viriya

International Captain
On current form,

Kane > Clarke
Smith > Clarke

In Tests and ODIs.

Career is not even a comparison obviously.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Williamson and Smith could become better. Taylor at his peak was as good for a few months. But overall? It's Clarke all the way.

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor in career terms is still the second best on either side tbh. He's playing average atm and Kane and Smith will pass him but..

Spark

Global Moderator
Williamson and Smith could become better. Taylor at his peak was as good for a few months. But overall? It's Clarke all the way.
yeah exactly. it's hardly a guaranteed matter, though - clarke may not have had as good as a career as his talent would have suggested back in 2004, but it's still in the upper echelon of australian test batsman and that's no small feat. i have an inkling smith will be better, his game is far more settled than clarke was at his age, but i'm not sure either will match clarke's knack for truly absurd innings.

Taylor in career terms is still the second best on either side tbh. He's playing average atm and Kane and Smith will pass him but..
yeah that's the big flipside. weird that the best two teams in the comp have been sort of carrying their best batsmen along the way.

Clarke is useful but he's no rahane, the god of all batsmen
still reckon he could well be the best of this entire generation tbh.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Neither side has had to carry them though because both have been able to grind out contributions. If Taylor or Clarke had a few more single figure scoresinstead of 30s and 40s, both sides probably lose one or two more games. Taylor's ugly 50 against Bangladesh is a case in point. If he scored a duck we would have lost.

Batsmen who always contribute something regardless of form are worth their weight in gold.

Flem274*

123/5
Tearjerker warning

Martin Crowe said:
My precarious life ahead may not afford me the luxury of many more games to watch and enjoy. So this is likely to be it. The last, maybe, and I can happily live with that. To see the two sons I never had, Ross Taylor and Marty Guptill, run out in black, in sync with their close comrades, drawing on all their resolve and resilience, will be mesmerically satisfying. I will hold back tears all day long.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/856297.html

Spark

Global Moderator
Neither side has had to carry them though because both have been able to grind out contributions. If Taylor or Clarke had a few more single figure scoresinstead of 30s and 40s, both sides probably lose one or two more games. Taylor's ugly 50 against Bangladesh is a case in point. If he scored a duck we would have lost.

Batsmen who always contribute something regardless of form are worth their weight in gold.
clarke's had a weird wc tbh. only three times has he actually been required to do anything of note.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would obviously be disappointed if Oz lose but cant help thinking that it would be a good thing for world and NZ cricket if the BCs won

Let's face it, if Oz win, it'll be a case of same ole, same ole but if the Kiwis get up, it could really shake up the world order whilst providing a massive boost to the game in that country