• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
Bah.

McCullum - Warner
Guptill > Finch
Williamson < Steve Smith
Taylor - Clarke
Elliott > Watson
Anderson > Maxwell
Ronchi < Haddin given Australian conditions.
cheers for proving my point. "but mah priors!"

also is james faulkner injured or something?

fundamentally pews is right when he says this analysis is silly. our batting strength is not in a straight head-to-head matchup, otherwise you'd say india and even sa have better batting lineups. it's in the fact that we're playing enough genuine quality odi bats (in context) for one and a half teams. the reason maxwell can come in during the 35th and go absolutely beserk almost immediately (whereas, for example, dhoni couldn't last night) is because we have faulkner, haddin, johnson to come, not to mention the fact that he bats above clarke half the time.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
cheers for proving my point. "but mah priors!"

also is james faulkner injured or something?

fundamentally pews is right when he says this analysis is silly. our batting strength is not in a straight head-to-head matchup, otherwise you'd say india and even sa have better batting lineups. it's in the fact that we're playing enough genuine quality odi bats (in context) for one and a half teams. the reason maxwell can come in during the 35th and go absolutely beserk almost immediately (whereas, for example, dhoni couldn't last night) is because we have faulkner, haddin, johnson to come, not to mention the fact that he bats above clarke half the time.
Never a fan of head to head myself either. Williamson losing out to Smith there is weak there, say, because of the head to head.

The reason the Australian side is a very good one is the balance it has right now. However, in the top order, they are depending too much on Warner and Steve Smith while New Zealand has more quality players in form in 1-5. The match being in Australia balances it out to an extent.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Never a fan of head to head myself either. Williamson losing out to Smith there is weak there, say, because of the head to head.

The reason the Australian side is a very good one is the balance it has right now. However, in the top order, they are depending too much on Warner and Steve Smith right now while New Zealand has more quality players in form in 1-5. The match being in Australia balances it out to an extent.
we haven't been dependant on warner at all, which is a good thing because he hasn't done very much.

we just need clarke to come good, really. he's still the best batsman on either side, and now would be a great time to prove it.

anil1405

International Captain
Clarke hasn't been in any form since his return. Finch has looked ordinary so far most of the tournament. Maxwell can pinch hit, but not sure how much he can do it versus quality fast bowling of New Zealand. Maxwell's technique isn't the best. Watson has started too look better coming down the order but he doesn't fill you with confidence given the form over the the last few months before his eventual sacking just a few games back.
Looks like Kane is wasting his effort to find the pitch at the 'G' as he might not need to if Aussies bat first. @NotNossy

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
we haven't been dependant on warner at all, which is a good thing because he hasn't done very much.

we just need clarke to come good, really. he's still the best batsman on either side, and now would be a great time to prove it.
Just saw Warner's stats. Surprised by them. Some how had this impression that he is among a lot of runs. Yeah, if Clarke gets back into nick, it will be really superb for Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just saw Warner's stats. Surprised by them. Some how had this impression that he is among a lot of runs. Yeah, if Clarke gets back into nick, it will be really superb for Australia.
warner is the worst odi batsman in the entire top seven.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
warner is the worst odi batsman in the entire top seven.
I like Warner. I have watched him far more in tests as that's what I watch more. Some of the shots he played in an earlier game v the Kiwis before he got out were splendid. I haven't liked Finch at all in this world cup. I am not too sure about him. Have never liked Watson but I can understand how he has been a terrific ODI player.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like Warner. I have watched him far more in tests as that's what I watch more. Some of the shots he played in an earlier game v the Kiwis before he got out were splendid. I haven't liked Finch at all in this world cup. I am not too sure about him. Have never liked Watson but I can understand how he has been a terrific ODI player.
finch looks like ****, but he cashes in and his innings yesterday, though it looked horrible, was more useful than the SR suggests, whereas warner looks a million bucks for 20. why he hasn't quite clicked the one-day game i'm not completely sure, he doesn't seem to have the tempo quite worked out, but he's generally overrated as an odi batsman outside of here. he could easily score 150+ and give us an inevitable winning total, because he's good enough as a pure batsman to do so, but so could anyone right down to maxwell and frankly they're all more likely (adjusted for the time they actually have to bat, of course).

and watson was pushing for inclusion into the aus atg team a few years ago, so. for some reason his bowling has kinda fallen off a cliff, that hasn't helped.

Spark

Global Moderator
warner's wc thus far is pretty representative of his odi career as a whole - one massive score, everything else is below 40.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Warner thing is funny in the sense that he has talked about being inspired by Sehwag and even Sehwag had this - being terrific in tests but not being able to do much in the ODI game. Yeah, I know Watson is pretty amazing as an ODI player. Just don't like his style of play (unrelated to his recent lack of form). I do like the Australians bringing him lower. It's been a top move.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Warner's ODI stats are near identical to Sehwag, actually Sehwag was at least better cuz the dude use to strike @ 104, Warner's at 90. Massive under performance by Warner considering the talent he has.

Spark

Global Moderator
How in the world is Michael clarke the best batsmen on either side?
by... being better? notice the lack of qualifiers there, i.e. i'm talking about in absolute generality; pure, raw batsmanship. broaden the conversation out and it'd be sanga, and in the same way that warner, despite being a mediocre odi batsman, is a better batsman in general than finch.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
by... being better? notice the lack of qualifiers there, i.e. i'm talking about in absolute generality; pure, raw batsmanship. broaden the conversation out and it'd be sanga, and in the same way that warner, despite being a mediocre odi batsman, is a better batsman in general than finch.
In limited overs cricket I disagree, if we were talking tests than yeah sure. Kane Williamson is the best batsmen from both sides IMO.