• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Would obviously be disappointed if Oz lose but cant help thinking that it would be a good thing for world and NZ cricket if the BCs won

Let's face it, if Oz win, it'll be a case of same ole, same ole but if the Kiwis get up, it could really shake up the world order whilst providing a massive boost to the game in that country
Was always on the Kiwi wagon for this, but these are two very good reasons why a NZ win is now so important (for me anyway).........I will be gutted if they don't make it.

That said, if the Kiwi lads (and fans) want this as a special send off for Martin Crowe I'm sure the Aussies all feel the same way for Phillip Hughes...........whatever happens I'm sure this will be a very emotional contest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I just feel so uncomfortable with the Martin Crowe articles.

I know he's someone for whom life=cricket, so I guess it makes a little sense, but the continual emotional investment in a game, a sport, and the way it's written...

I dunno.

It just feels weird.

Is he ok putting that stuff out there in public like that?

Do his wife and kids read that?

How are Ross and Martin supposed to feel about all this?

Hard to explain, it just doesn't sit well with me.

TNT

Banned

I know he's someone for whom life=cricket, so I guess it makes a little sense, but the continual emotional investment in a game, a sport, and the way it's written...

I dunno.

It just feels weird.

I agree and in times like that the family would be my only concern but if it helps him and it could well be that NZ is part of his family. Best of luck to NZ but its about cricket.

viriya

International Captain

I dunno.

It just feels weird.

He's not putting undue pressure.. he's basically saying that even if NZ lose it will be great watching for him.

Niall

International Coach
Didn't he work with Guptil not to long ago? So I would assume they could be close so he may not mind it to much, no clue what his relationship is like with Taylor though so won't speculate on him.

Athlai

Not Terrible

I dunno.

It just feels weird.

I think you are missing the point.

Cricket isn't just a hobby or a passion for Crowe, it has literally been his life. It was his day job, and the majority of his adult life has been associated with cricket. If he describes his relationship with Ross and Martin as being akin to father and son, who are we to judge? We don't know, we have seen the support throughout the career and the acknowledgement from both sides and it certainly isn't hard to imagine a close relationship cannot develop in that situation.

If he wants to put his heart out there into public then he can. He is a writer now, a writer with a terminal illness, he wants to inspire, he wants to connect and he wants to define exactly what has made him who he is. I'm personally an extremely private person when it comes to anything I feel guarded about, but my passion and love for the game is not an area that I regard as being something I need to keep to myself.

I suspect that a lot of Kiwi fans are nodding their heads along with Crowe's words, feeling the pride and passion that he does for the New Zealand cricket team.

And I personally think if you have a problem with what he is saying and the way he is saying it then the problem is with you. I don't mean to offend there, but I suspect there are a lot of others out there who understand where Crowe is coming from and I believe Crowe's words are for us.

Flem274*

123/5
Crowe is overtly passionate, which can make him look silly sometimes (like his flounce on CW and the blazer burning incident) but you remove the naked passion and you don't get the batsman and captain Martin Crowe was.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's not putting undue pressure.. he's basically saying that even if NZ lose it will be great watching for him.
Oh it's nothing about undue pressure. I don't care if it puts more pressure on the cricketers, that's not my concern.

My concern is for the readers; it's as if there's extra meaning for sentimentality in a cricket match. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Wish I could explain it better.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

I dunno.

It just feels weird.

I feel like when you are at deaths door you tend to stop giving a ****. So you do things without worrying about the small print.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it's similar to my feelings on all those images of Morkel crying circulating on facebook.

It's not that I have a problem with people expressing their emotions in such a way, I just find it cheap to capture that emotion and bottle it up into a package that is celebrating cricket.

Am I supposed to feel empathy when I read that article or see those images?

No, readers/viewers aren't capable of genuine empathy simply by reading an article or looking at a meme for 10 seconds on their smarthphone.

It's real for Crowe.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
i was wondering if an aussie on this thred could help me out, what are the rules for what you allowed to take into the MCG. are you allowed to bring in food and drink, what size bottles are you allowed in.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I guess it's similar to my feelings on all those images of Morkel crying circulating on facebook.

It's not that I have a problem with people expressing their emotions in such a way, I just find it cheap to capture that emotion and bottle it up into a package that is celebrating cricket.

Am I supposed to feel empathy when I read that article or see those images?

No, readers/viewers aren't capable of genuine empathy simply by reading an article or looking at a meme for 10 seconds on their smarthphone.

It's real for Crowe.
Do you believe a photograph can capture emotion? An article or a meme can capture a snapshot of a moment or feeling or sentiment in much the same way. If you personally don't connect in the same manner, that doesn't mean no one can.

Hell I think half of us Kiwi fans are now getting butterflies in the stomach at the stupid bloody ANZ ad. It's leaking into how we describe the moment we are feeling.

"Dare to achieve"

Bastards.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I knew someone would come up with that example.

There's a difference between a photograph - whether it's a piece of art or social commentary or whatever - and a facebook meme pr a cricinfo article. Sure not everything in that medium needs to be lighthearted and fun. But I don't find it appropriate in this case.

I feel for people in general with terminal illness. I think the emotion there is big enough that I don't want to be thinking about a cricket game when I'm considering a person's impending death.

Anyway I don't mean to offend anyone, those are just my thoughts.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There is a difference in all artistic expressions. I have no idea why you're associating what Crowe wrote with a Facebook meme either. They're nothing alike.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I knew someone would come up with that example.

There's a difference between a photograph - whether it's a piece of art or social commentary or whatever - and a facebook meme pr a cricinfo article. Sure not everything in that medium needs to be lighthearted and fun. But I don't find it appropriate in this case.

I feel for people in general with terminal illness. I think the emotion there is big enough that I don't want to be thinking about a cricket game when I'm considering a person's impending death.

Anyway I don't mean to offend anyone, those are just my thoughts.
Thats fair enough. I get where you are coming from, someone's final moments/thoughts being exposed online feels intrusive, like only family/friends should hear that stuff. But if Crowe wants to do it, he's going to ****ing do it, not like he has anything to worry about at this point. I respect his wishes personally.

If I have 7 days to live and I want to spend every hour ****ing prostitutes and doing blow, you'd better believe I'd make it happen.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be the biggest ever NZ vs. Aust sporting event in history yeah?

Trying to think of a bigger one and struggling. We've never played one another in a rugby WC final. We have in rugby league a couple of times, but let's face it, only 3 teams play league.

Someone mentioned the hockey gold medal final in 1976, but c'mon? Hockey? I mean really?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Thats fair enough. I get where you are coming from, someone's final moments/thoughts being exposed online feels intrusive, like only family/friends should hear that stuff. But if Crowe wants to do it, he's going to ****ing do it, not like he has anything to worry about at this point. I respect his wishes personally.

If I have 7 days to live and I want to spend every hour ****ing prostitutes and doing blow, you'd better believe I'd make it happen.
Yeah of course, he can do what he wants.

I'm just not going to read it, because it makes me uncomfortable.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
I really hope NZ wins but honestly, Australia is going to beat them. Too much big game experience, they are at home and they have motivation to play for revenge. I think NZ unfortunately will crumble under the pressure.

Flem274*

123/5
My only fear is a one sided hiding but this team isn't going to roll over and die. They've proven themselves in all forms again and again and again. This team refuse to accept defeat. Australia are the slightly better side and if they crush New Zealand it will be because someone does something truly freakish.

Clarke, Watson and maybe Haddin and Johnson are the only blokes who have played in a world cup winning squad and only Clarke and Watson were on the field in 2007. Australia don't have much more big game experience.