• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I know Kane's feels so well - I got into an unfortunate habit of leaving straight ones last season and did that two innings in a row.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I also want to praise Chanderpaul specifically for the way he batted with the tail. I think the one criticism of Chanderpaul that has something to it, is that too often he shuts up shop and plays for his average, rather than going for quick runs (as he is perfectly capable of doing). Today, he was aggressive and intelligent about his shot selection in the dying stages of the WI innings.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another day, another feeble WI performance with another high 80s-90s not out by Chanderpaul. Just another day in the office.

Good to see Craig do well on debut though, could use some definite work on flighting the ball. Also RIP the test career of Peter Fulton.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I was impressed with the drift that Craig got. There's a bit to work with there.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
While Craig will be a nice option when we have to play a spinner (or even two), like we do in these conditions, he shouldn't get a permanent place in the side. Our best option in most conditions will be 5 pacers (including our 2 all rounders) plus Williamson.

To be honest, I think Williamson might've done just as well as Craig had he been given a bowl.

We're still looking for a spinner that's going to be economical and even a wicket taking option outside of WI and the SC. The attack that we had vs India in Wellington should be our default. Southee, Boult, Wagner, Neesham, Anderson, Williamson. And if neither Neesham nor Anderson develops enough as bowlers, one of them should be replaced with the next pacer off the rank (e.g. Henry) until they can both be justified as batsmen alone.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I think if he continues to have a strong series he should be given a chance. Spinners rarely play a lead role on modern NZ pitches anyway, so we're wasting our time looking for one to instantly become a home game match winner.

Spinners are still an important component for the overs they bowl and the attritional wickets they get though. Plus we'd be missing out on annoying players who are woeful against spin. I think Craig can be economical too.

I dunno, I'm torn. I don't want to wave the white flag but our spin stocks are poor. Still, Craig will get a nice long bowl on this tour and in the UAE which will give us a good look at what he can do. I'm starting to think New Zealand domestic form is irrelevant for judging spinners.

We'll see. Southee, Boult, Wagner, Neesham, Anderson does provide h4x batting but it looks like three real bowlers and two fifth bowlers as well.

Flem274*

123/5
If Anderson is fit for the next test, who do you pick?

Dropping Sodhi for Anderson is cheating because it will never happen obv.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We'll see. Southee, Boult, Wagner, Neesham, Anderson does provide h4x batting but it looks like three real bowlers and two fifth bowlers as well.
yeah. But even Neesham at 8 is still a better bowler than any of the NZ spinners outside of Asia and the Windies.
The problem with looking at it that way is that it prevents guys like Henry from getting into the team.

We might come to the case halfway through next summer where it's entirely obvious that Henry is the 4th best bowler in NZ yet can't even make the squad due to team balance - because Neesham and Anderson still might be not quite good enough to bat 6, and we have to play one of them at 8 too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Neesham and Wagner.

I said before this Test that I didn't believe there was a big gap between Neesham's batting and Anderson's, and I think I've been vindicated to some extent. He's done more with the bat in his two Tests than Anderson's done in his seven.

Given complete autonomy I'd put McCullum back up to opener and pick both but that's obviously not happening.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Dropping Sodhi for Anderson is cheating because it will never happen obv.
Anderson will have to wait his turn. You can't drop a guy who just scored 2 centuries in consecutive matches.

It's possible the next pitch will be a little greener and Hesson can justify dropping Sodhi for Anderson.

In which case Wagner should have a big moan.

Flem274*

123/5
Neesham and Wagner.

I said before this Test that I didn't believe there was a big gap between Neesham's batting and Anderson's, and I think I've been vindicated to some extent. He's done more with the bat in his two Tests than Anderson's done in his seven.

Given complete autonomy I'd put McCullum back up to opener and pick both but that's obviously not happening.
You'd bat one of Neesh and Anderson at five? That's ballsy. Unless you mean OPWB, in which case you rate his fitness and recovery speed.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah. But even Neesham at 8 is still a better bowler than any of the NZ spinners outside of Asia and the Windies.
It's still three bowlers and two fifth bowlers. We can get away with it on green tops but under normal circumstances I wouldn't try it. If you're going to play five seamers you need to pick the best four you have and one fifth bowler.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's still three bowlers and two fifth bowlers. We can get away with it on green tops but under normal circumstances I wouldn't try it. If you're going to play five seamers you need to pick the best four you have and one fifth bowler.
...which is why I wrote the rest of my post...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My bad, thought you were promoting the idea.
I'm not totally opposed to it so long as one of them develops significantly as a bowler. They don't need to be at the level where they're the 4th best bowler in the country, but they do need to be at the level where they're genuine test 4th seamers, which neither of them are above domestic level.

I think if Neesham can average around 35 with the ball, with either a good economy rate (e.g. Vettori role) or a good strike rate (e.g. Flintoff role) that will be enough if Anderson is still bowling (and getting similar returns).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Um, my only concern with 4 seamers is that going with that option makes it very difficult to get through your 90 overs in 6 and a half hours, leaving the captain at risk of a match ban.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Um, my only concern with 4 seamers is that going with that option makes it very difficult to get through your 90 overs in 6 and a half hours, leaving the captain at risk of a match ban.
I don't think this was an issue in Wellington.

If it is, you can always chuck the ball to Kane for a few quickies.