• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Meridio

International Regular
Jebus Kane, that's a woeful misjudgement.

I completely do not understand why we are using a nightwatchman here. We're 250 runs ahead ffs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A great career ends.

England let him score two hundreds in a match though, lets us never forget this.
We hadn't even reached peak **** by then either.

Think that series was where the excuses started from England, rather than rectifying the problems. Kept complaining about the ball not swinging for them and the pitches (which were ridiculously flat, but still), when they were bowling short filth.

Were saved by Prior way too many times, and didn't address the batting issues.

And dropped Compton for less than apparent reasons.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Eh, what a terrible innings.

Typical NZ however. Massive lead, decide to bat again, looking to survive 30 minutes later while wickets tumble.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Small bright spot for Windies is that Roach is bowling well again.

Him and Taylor are likely to be much better in the second test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't got up to the last page yet but I'm expecting "Gayle played Southee exceptionally"
Which is not totally false, it's just that it's so inconsistent with what he said about Benn vs Williamson.

Gayle did well not to panic when Southee was consistently beating him.

Was always going to be all over once he got some reverse though.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
As an aside, I am the same height as Fulton and always found batting really hard on account of this gangliness. It's like playing golf and only using a driver instead of a wedge for the approach shots.

The great mystery for me is not why Fulton keeps getting picked but why he chose to be an opening batsman of all things, He might as well have set his sights on being the All Black halfback.

Still averages 10 runs more than Blair Hartland though.

Howsie

International Captain
So consolidate for an hour tommorow and then look to score quickly; Leave WI 5 sessions to score 400.
80 runs in the first session (am I asking for too much)? Then gun it for an hour after lunch. Even if we can't bowl them out your not chasing down 400 on this pitch in four sessions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like another good day, once again spoiled by Fulton being a bit useless. I like Fulton, and I reckon if he'd been managed better when he first arrived on the scene then he could've had a decent career averaging low 30's at the top of the order. But his confidence must be shattered at this point, so he has to go. I guess that means Rutherford comes in for the 2nd test, which isn't a great improvement, but I suppose he's at least likely to club a few off-side boundaries before he fends a short one to gully.

Agree the tactics in the last hour were a little curious, but maybe New Zealand are following the Eden Park 2013 blueprint, where they absorb pressure in the evening, and then look to counter-attack against a tired bowling side in the morning. Despite the slow start, I think enforcing the follow-on was the right idea, we really don't want to risk having to score 100-odd on the 5th afternoon.

And Southee, what can be said? I would argue that even Bond never bowled as consistently well as Southee has in the last 2 years. The fact that he appears to have finally added reverse swing (as well as a leg cutter) to his arsenal could be the tipping point that sees him transformed from a ruthlessly effective new ball bowler into a genuine attacking weapon at any stage of the innings.

It's fantastic to see that average of his finally punch through the 30 barrier. I get the feeling it's got a ways to go before it levels off. Good to see Craig go well too. Looks like PEWS was spot on in his advocation for a Southee, Boult, Wagner, Craig bowling attack.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also, I want to say again how brilliant Chanders is. To continue to show such resilience with so little support against such a strong New Zealand bowling attack really is marvelous. He won't be remembered in the same category as the likes of Lara, Sobers and Richards, but from my point of view he really has to be considered as one of the greatest of all West Indies batsmen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Changed my mind.

Bat till tea.

We should be able to bowl them out in 4 sessions.
Nah, there's too much of a risk that Chanders will hold up an end and slow our progress. I wouldn't wait any longer than a half hour after lunch.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Obviously a pretty disastrous day for us, I think unless New Zealand have a melt down or a couple of our batsmen play amazing innings this is done.

Southee was extraordinarily good today. Absolutely spot on from ball one to the end of the innings. For me, he has been the best bowler on show and is the reason NZ are in this position. Craig looks a solid enough spinner to me and he got Kirk with an excellent delivery. I think 4 wickets flattered him a bit as our lower order batted irresponsibly, but I can see a decent enough test finger spinner there which is promising.

I'm sorry, but why is Sodhi playing instead of Wagner? He was dreadful and most of the batters treated him with disdain. Too many long hops, not turning his leg break consistently, so really the same old problems I identified earlier in this thread. On one showing I can tell you Craig should be playing ahead of him at QPO and for the foreseeable future. Not wishing to goad NZ fans, but we have at least 3 leggies I can think of that are in a different class from Sodhi yet we're not rushing them into the side. I would send him back to FC and A team cricket to learn his trade.

As for WIndies, well I'm very disappointed with the batting, unsurprisingly. Gayle looked out of form but somehow survived long enough to play a decent innings. Powell I'm extremely worried about, missing a straight delivery after doing all the hard work against the new ball. Braithwaite is waiting to take his place and IMHO should be playing instead anyway. Darren Bravo played a very casual shot, rather like Ross in the 1st innings. I wont get too worried about him yet but it wasn't the best shot against a very poor bowler. Marlon Samuels is proving a big problem. The way he is getting out is troubling me, he has stopped moving his feet at all. This is not how he used to bat. Again, Jermaine Blackwood looks a million dollars for the HPC side so if this continues I'd be dropping him. Shiv is Shiv, utter class and I'm pretty sure he wpuld have batted for 2 days on that if anyone had been able to hang around. He looked so untroubled.

I did really enjoy our late bowling display. I think in that 45 minute burst we saw the potential Roach and JT have and that it is a pace attack that could cause teams a lot of problems. Roach was in much better rhythm and could have had 2/3 wickets to his name already. It's a shame it comes after the match has practically been lost but they were great signs for the future and the rest of the series.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I forgot to mention that despite only getting 39, I thought Ramdin looked excellent at the crease before being strangled down the legside. If he keeps batting like that he'll do fine.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Ramdin was good.

Disappointed in Boult today. He's trying to do too much. Bond to give him the KISS talk.

Those left handers really should be his bread and butter - particularly Powell. He needs to rectify that in the second innings.