• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is the team I’d like to see:
Latham
Ruds
KW
Taylor
BMac
Watling
Neesh
Craig
Southee
Wagner
Boult

If in doubt pick Otago players for contentious selections. It would be nice to have more Otago players than ND ones.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbh i think the kiwis will be making a big mistake if they think spin is the only danger here...because from what i remember the last time they toured the Caribbean Roach was all over them...Rampaul and Best also had some fun too.

Anyway with Anderson out i suspect NZ will go in with Boult, Southee, Wagner and Craig...i don't think they'll want to turn to spin too early with the ball still hard after Southee and Boult's opening spell...i think they'll play Wagner just to keep the pressure off the main two..because logic would suggest if they just play two pacers we'll just see them off and wait to milk the spinners.
Neesham is who will replace Anderson though so the balance of the attack will be the same. They'll still play both spinners IMO.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Tbh i think the kiwis will be making a big mistake if they think spin is the only danger here...because from what i remember the last time they toured the Caribbean Roach was all over them...Rampaul and Best also had some fun too.

Anyway with Anderson out i suspect NZ will go in with Boult, Southee, Wagner and Craig...i don't think they'll want to turn to spin too early with the ball still hard after Southee and Boult's opening spell...i think they'll play Wagner just to keep the pressure off the main two..because logic would suggest if they just play two pacers we'll just see them off and wait to milk the spinners.
The reason why our worries against spin are the main discussion point isn't because we don't rate your pacers, it's because you could throw the ball to some grandpa in the crowd to bowl donkey-drops and he'd probably roll us.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah there is one NZ poster who's panned Roach and Taylor as being guys Rutherford would slap a quick 30 off. There will be some points there for WW if we collapse to the new ball.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Nah there is one NZ poster who's panned Roach and Taylor as being guys Rutherford would slap a quick 30 off. There will be some points there for WW if we collapse to the new ball.
Slapped a quick 171 of Anderson and Broad once.

Flem274*

123/5
This is going to be such an annoying series to watch sleep wise. I suck at going to bed early, which means I'll probably finally fall asleep at midnight only to need to wake up 3 hours later.

Only England is worse. South Africa is pretty bad too.

Flem274*

123/5
This question has probably been asked heaps but why did the pitches in the Caribbean change so drastically from the old days to now?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This question has probably been asked heaps but why did the pitches in the Caribbean change so drastically from the old days to now?
It's a question that's hard to answer. Some of it could be just a nature thing with the soil but also the grounds men ain't been the best either. Tbh this last season the pitches were quite good early on before they started to crumble in the last few games...this sabina track will have something for the pacer early but in the fourth and fifth day it's gonna be about the spinners.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah, I've always wondered whether that became a symbolic thing or not. "No more racists, so no more Wimbledon-worshipping, Augusta-worshipping tastes for the short green grass, either".

Stapel

International Regular
This is going to be such an annoying series to watch sleep wise. I suck at going to bed early, which means I'll probably finally fall asleep at midnight only to need to wake up 3 hours later.

Only England is worse. South Africa is pretty bad too.
You couldn't be more wrong :) !

Living in NL, WI tests start at 5pm. Which means they are the only Tests I can properly watch at home, rather than at work :) .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given we in Australia now consider cricket to be a completely fringe sport that no-one will pay to watch and I no longer have the option, it doesn't tremendously matter when this is on for me.

If only I lived in a cricketing nation such as the Netherlands, Macedonia, Bosnia or Luxembourg where this game is being broadcast live.

I mean, **** me dead.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Given we in Australia now consider cricket to be a completely fringe sport that no-one will pay to watch and I no longer have the option, it doesn't tremendously matter when this is on for me.

If only I lived in a cricketing nation such as the Netherlands, Macedonia, Bosnia or Luxembourg where this game is being broadcast live.

I mean, **** me dead.
Make do like the rest of us without Fox, ****

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I mean, **** me dead.
Hahahahahahahah WTF.

If I had Foxtel I'd probably think about cancelling ATS.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Always feels weird to watch cricket in the night during winter - completely out of sync with my moods as well as the seasons, a window into a distant summer. Won't be able to watch the first couple of sessions but will get up for the last.

I felt the last tour of the West Indies was something of an ambush seeing as the West Indies were in disarray with (mostly) off-field issues leading into it, but then everything came together for them leading into the series, Gayle took a hold over our bowlers during the limited overs matches and we never recovered. Gayle, Roach and Taylor reappearing for this series gives me a similar feeling, though I don't know how close to their best they will be.

Pitches will be very interesting, but I hope not too interesting. Anything but that warmup pitch, or any pitch where slidy accurate Jadeja-like spinners dominate; the equivalent of an old fashioned NZ green seamer where a 125km/h bowler just needs to nag away, hit the seam (or not) and the pitch will do the rest.

We should be picking a pure batsman to replace Anderson at 6, given we already have 4 bowlers plus Williamson's part time spin. However our reserve batsmen are Ronchi and the spare opener. Yuck. Tbh Ronchi probably deserves the chance though I'm not a believer and he's injured anyway. Anyway, score one for messing up our balance by picking a useless third opener in the squad. I would be slightly more enthused if Brownlie or Guptill were there (though let's not get too excited). Neesham seems a pretty big risk but **** it.

TEST CRICKET!

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
It's looking very much like I'm gonna be pulling an all-nighter to finish an assignment, so that coincides nicely with the start of the series. Should get to watch the first session and a half before I go to work.

Actually feeling pretty excited for this series, it's nice to be enthused about cricket for the first time in months.