• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
When was the last time New Zealand won three tests in a row (not counting tests against Bangladesh)? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Won by 10 wickets v West Indies, Wellington, 17 Mar 2006
Won by 27 runs v West Indies, Auckland, 9 Mar 2006
Won by an inns & 46 runs v Zimbabwe, Bulawayo, 15 Aug 2005
Won by an inns & 294 runs lost v Zimbabwe, Harare, 7 Aug 2005
Won by an inns & 38 runs v Sri Lanka, Wellington, 11 Apr 2005

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
just make the third umpire automatically check no balls and make a call within 5 seconds of every delivery. Take it out of the hands of on field umpires.

Howsie

International Captain
He's opened a little bit across his career but he's always been a number three really. When he was opening he was a number three opening rather than being an opener if that makes sense.
Cheers.

Mukund was the kid I was thinking about anyway haha.

Blocky

Banned
So does Sodhi play the next game? Honestly don't see the point.
Dear god I hope not, but everyone seems to be of the "persist with him" mindset, makes me wonder what I'm not seeing when people like Crowe and Doull see him as a great prospect, personally I think he's got all the makings of another Tarun Nethula/Brooke Walker/Todd Astle.

A result pitch, weather permitting.

Wind can be a concern for seamers not used to it. Forecast is now set fair, so will probably be **** (Wellington long range forecasts are notoriously inaccurate)
Due to this, I'd pick four seamers and designate someone the "Tough luck, you're bowling into the breeze son" pick.

Hoping we drop Rutherford and Sodhi.

Bring in Guptill and Bennett and announce it well in advance. Wellington to give us the greenest pitch we've seen there in 10 years.
No. Just no.

Yeah, look, if Wagner's been cutting the return crease all game, there's no justification for calling the wicket ball a no ball and ignoring all the others. You cannot argue that calling no balls only if a wicket falls is a good way to umpire.

Call them all or call none IMO.
Agree with this, Wagner would have been bowling a consistent width outside the off stump, if the umpire isn't calling him for that, then he shouldn't expect to be called when a wicket falls. But looking at the evidence, I'd say his toe came down inside the line, he was never over the line with his foot fully on the ground.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see why umpires can't call front foot no-balls anyway. They did it for 130 years with minimal fuss, FFS.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So he's another Pujara?
Yeah, kinda. I think I've heard Pujara say he doesn't mind opening though, while Rahane on the other hand was offered a spot as a permanent Test opener when Vijay and Dhawan come in against Australia and told the selectors he'd rather wait for a middle order spot to open up. I think Rahane is a lot more technically suited to opening than Pujara; he just doesn't like it.

Riggins

International Captain
I don't see why umpires can't call front foot no-balls anyway. They did it for 130 years with minimal fuss, FFS.
no fuss because the cameras didn't pick up the errors. would have been just as many, probably more.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
How do umpires go upstairs when half the foot is behind the line yet they don't go up when the foot has nothing behind the line. Do umpires even look down?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be looking at bringing in either Neesham or Henry for Sodhi's slot.

Given that we won the first test, Neesham would be my choice.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Huge performance by Wagner, especially given his place would've been under a bit of scrutiny going into the match. He almost single-handedly changed the direction of the game on that final afternoon.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill recall would be absolutely horrendous.

Latham's the guy who has dibs but he should wait until West Indies IMO. Get through the full domestic season so he really has some runs under his belt.

Wouldn't mind Papps for Rutherford but it's not happening. Just stick with this pair for the basin match. Guptill wouldn't do any better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Huge performance by Wagner, especially given his place would've been under a bit of scrutiny going into the match. He almost single-handedly changed the direction of the game on that final afternoon.
Honestly, I think both Southee and Wagner deserved to take 5 each. They were both superb, over the whole match really. Southee in particular was looking unplayable even when the conditions were flat and there was no swing. Hit McGrath-esque lengths and got anything there was to get from the pitch.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Good fight. Well played NZ. But you will always be the guys who let Harbhajan Singh score 2 test hundreds.:p

Howsie

International Captain

Is Henry even fit at the moment? Pretty sure he pulled out of the Canterbury game this week.

Fulton has to go, offers nothing. 35 years old, isn't going to improve etc. I would probably replace Sodhi with a batsman, especially if Taylor doesn't play. Who that would be I have no idea, Joe Carter?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
no fuss because the cameras didn't pick up the errors. would have been just as many, probably more.
Yeah, but now we have spuds like Kumar Dharmasena who don't so much as look at the front foot at any point. Obviously the umpire is going to make errors on front foot no balls, but they can at least try and pick them up.

Would be interested to see when Dharmasena, for example, last called a front foot no ball that didn't just so happen to coincide with a wicket and an upstairs referral.

Not a bad call. Definitely wouldn't be against this.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If Taylor doesn't play, either Latham gets the middle order slot just for this match, or we go with one of the old guys like Flynn or Redmond.

Either way the batting is significantly weakened now that Jesse's screwed things up, which is why Sodhi's slot should go to Neesham.