• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who was responsible for the umpiring howlers?

Kettlechips seemed to have had a decent game from what I saw - had some tough calls to make which he got right largely. But then, I haven't been able to watch the whole game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that was pretty much my point, there is no way we should have even come this close to winning this test after NZ got a 300+ run lead.
These massive chokes used to cost us games, but I think when we get through them narrowly like this, it helps to get the monkey off the back.

After the first test against WI against NZ that we failed to win, there was this awful feeling of dread. Are we ever going to put a side away?

Hopefully we learn from this.

vandem

International 12th Man
Honestly such poor posting after a great test match.
I think you're underestimating how pi#$ed off NZ cricket supporters are at the BCCI (and TCCB and ACB) idea that India + Eng + Oz should be permanently in the 1st division of test playing nations. We have an egalitarian streak here. It still rankles some older NZ cricket supporters that Oz wouldn't play us in a test match until the mid 70s, but would send a B team to tour here. And it's still not safe to mention underarm bowling yet ...

Anyway, was a great game, kudos to Indian pace attack for getting them back into the game.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I look at the Indian batting line up and think for the first time in the best part of 15 years that they are very vulnerable.

Dhawan can be a bit hit or miss on any given day but is doubtlessly very talented.
Vijay is no lock.
Pujara is a very very good player, but a little untested outside of Indian conditions.
Kohli is a class player.
Sharma I've always been big on but he's yet to prove he has what it takes over a long period of time.
Rahane untested
Dhoni is a poor test match batsman when the pitch provides any bounce, speed or movement. Too bottom handed, feeds slips.
Jadeja - no evidence to suggest he can play a long test innings like Ashwin for example
Zaheer - is a number 11
Ishant - Ibid.
Shami - ditto

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
They need to get rid of Rahane from ODIs, I like the dude but he's not quite cut out, he also seems a bit lost on what his role is as well, hasn't done well in the openers slot and idk if he has the game required @ number 4 for India in ODIs. Definitely worth playing in test matches though, excellent fielder as well.

ajdude

International Coach
can see vijay being dropped and chand being given a go by the end of this year. can't wait for baaboi aparajith to get a crack too

Howsie

International Captain
Rohit Sharma just looks like a dirty flat track bully if I'm being brutally honest. Just seems to get stuck on the crease far too much, although I didn't see any of his innings during the second day. Obvs a naturally talented batsmen but I really couldn't see him scoring runs on a pitch with pace or bounce. Rahane hasn't really done anything to catch the eye during this tour either, and he's had plenty of chances. Wasn't he an opening batsmen at one point?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When was the last time New Zealand won three tests in a row (not counting tests against Bangladesh)? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Howsie

International Captain
When was the last time New Zealand won three tests in a row (not counting tests against Bangladesh)? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.
Windies and Sri Lanka toured 04/05 I think it was. Might of been around there, had three wins that summer I think

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you're right. If we win the test at the Basin you would have to think that'll be the first time we've ever won 4 on the bounce.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rahane hasn't really done anything to catch the eye during this tour either, and he's had plenty of chances. Wasn't he an opening batsmen at one point?
He's opened a little bit across his career but he's always been a number three really. When he was opening he was a number three opening rather than being an opener if that makes sense.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, look, if Wagner's been cutting the return crease all game, there's no justification for calling the wicket ball a no ball and ignoring all the others. You cannot argue that calling no balls only if a wicket falls is a good way to umpire.

Call them all or call none IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
:unsure: The SL/Windies tours were different years IIRC with the Windies coming in '06
Yeah, SL was in 04/05 and WI in 05/06. But we were playing sfa test cricket at the time, so they were still 3 in a row (with 2 wins over zimbabwe in between).