• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hoping we drop Rutherford and Sodhi.

Bring in Guptill and Bennett and announce it well in advance. Wellington to give us the greenest pitch we've seen there in 10 years.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
But ultimately, it wasn't even a no ball.

There was no camera angle that showed the foot touching the line.
Lots of shadow from behind. And no sole touching from in front.

If that had been overturned it would have been cruel.

James

Cricket Web Owner

That's my view point as well, certainly not clear enough to call it.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

Yeah I reckon he'll have bowled several illegal deliveries in the match even if that wasn't one. Doubtless the NZ video analysts will be onto him about it

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Oh I'm not arguing that the bowler doesn't get a raw deal in all this, but don't see how you can argue that the solution to a badly applied law is to not apply the law at all.
Ideally as Heath suggested, it should be automated. But i just don't think that umpires should have the right to check the no ball when they have been failing to do so throughout the game.

I just think that umpires should lose the right to go up stairs to check the no ball if they have been failing to check throughout the game. It's like saying we aren't even looking at the no balls, but will be happy to take your wicket of you for something we can't be ****ed to check (although tbf, back foot no balls are hard to see, but couldn't the 3rd umpire notify the on field umpires if its occurring?). If they call the no ball it as its bowled thats fair enough though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wasn't even sure on the rule I thought you had to "cut" the line which means putting part of your foot over it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the worst part is the umpires knew he was cutting it close, as evidenced by their immediate referral when he did get the wicket. Terrible umpiring really, they didn't even try to do their job and just actively ignored it.

vandem

International 12th Man
Nah, can't understand this. It happens virtually all th time these days. Front foot no balls are missed all the time. So just because they haven't been called all match, they shouldn't be called when the umpire decides to refer it? Especially when it's a match turning moment. Strange if you're trying to justify the decision.

I'd have had a bit of sympathy for wagner if he'd been called now, but the bigger injustice is obviously to the batsmen being given out off an illegal delivery
Martin Crowe on RadioSport made a valid point, either umpires should check for a no ball for every dismissal (and so Watling would have survived yesterday), or don't check at all. Checking for some wickets, but not others, causes inconsistency.

Howsie

International Captain
Anyways congrats to New Zealand, well played, but honestly you guys got out of jail. A bit like India did in SA at Durban, but this one was a lot worse.
After throwing away a 300 first innings run lead. India should never have been in the game after that, would've been the biggest choke job of all time if India had of gotten up today.

Anyway Fulton and Sodhi gone for me, both bring nothing to the table and haven't for the most part in all three test wins this summer.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think we have been scarred by that 3rd innings - and next time we will enforce the follow on in similar circumstances. At least that is what I suspect McHesson will do.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
After throwing away a 300 first innings run lead. India should never have been in the game after that, would've been the biggest choke job of all time if India had of gotten up today.

Anyway Fulton and Sodhi gone for me, both bring nothing to the table and haven't for the most part in all three test wins this summer.
Yeah that was pretty much my point, there is no way we should have even come this close to winning this test after NZ got a 300+ run lead.