• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Blocky

Banned
It's my birthday today - the only two gifts I want are a Ryder century and Matt Henry to not absolutely suck at this level.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's my birthday today - the only two gifts I want are a Ryder century and Matt Henry to not absolutely suck at this level.
Happy birthday mate, we'll try to avoid telling guptill he's not invited

No reason why Henry won't make it (apart from injury ofc). He's shown us all the tools and there's nothing gimmicky about him. Tall, brisk, accurate, gets movement.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Happy birthday mate, we'll try to avoid telling guptill he's not invited

No reason why Henry won't make it (apart from injury ofc). He's shown us all the tools and there's nothing gimmicky about him. Tall, brisk, accurate, gets movement.
Is Henry going to play though?

Flem274*

123/5
It was his first go in the subcontinent. I'm willing to forgive struggling on your first tour there if you've shown you have it in more familliar conditions.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot has "proved you wrong" in the same way that Franklin occasionally proves everyone wrong. He inexplicably scores runs when everyone else has failed - usually against ****ty attacks, yet never really puts us into winning positions. There's a big difference between saving NZ's face in a collapse, and actually building an innings to launch from. There's virtually no decision making you have to do in the former. The role is clear. You're not going to pick apart bowlers or put pressure on the opposition captain or lift the run rate at certain stages the way that real numbers 3 and 4 do.

The blueprint is that we have Taylor and Williamson to build us through the middle overs, but the only person in NZ even slightly capable of doing that job to the degree that they do it is Watling. There's literally no point in batting the way they bat if you can't do it as well as they do.

Asking Elliot to perform that role is asking way too much of him. He's nowhere near that good. If Taylor or Williamson go down, we have to completely re-think the game plan. If Elliot tried to do what they did he'd fail miserably and put pressure on the other guy.
Think this is way too harsh. Yeah Elliott's not All That, but contrary to your first point Elliott (unlike say, Franklin outside the subcontinent) does score runs against good attacks and in live match situations. The inexplicability is more that he looks like a batsman some days and then other days is absolutely woeful, and this can be seen whether he's scoring ODI runs for NZ against Dale Steyn or almost getting dropped by Wellington for repeatedly failing against domestic bowlers. Since his 2013 recall he has:

1, 48 and 54 against South Africa (all live match situations)
22, 23, 24, 27 against England ('doing a Ryder')
71, 14, 3, 7, 4 in Bangladesh and that pointless tour of Sri Lanka. The 71 he built while the match was live but was last man out as the rest of the team collapsed around him.

Overall not great, but not terrible if you view the string of subcontinent failures as irrelevant to the World Cup in NZ/Aus.

In conclusion, this is far too many words to justify Elliott as my third reserve ODI top-4 batsman for the World Cup. :happy:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of how he goes today Matt Henry is the real deal imo. He has been since day one of his pro career.
Henry is interesting but I really don't think he's 'the real deal' at least not yet. Still hope he gets a bowl today.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
From the news i hear it will be a mcclenaghan, mills, henry lineup bowling no corey, southee or bennet
Happy with that. No harm leaving Southee and Anderson out prior to the tests, while McClenaghan back in for Bennett is a like for like replacement.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happy with that. No harm leaving Southee and Anderson out prior to the tests, while McClenaghan back in for Bennett is a like for like replacement.
Wouldn't mind another look at Bennett, though. Inconclusive so far - terrific at Eden Park; much less so at Hamilton.

We pretty much know what Mitch brings to the table.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't mind another look at Bennett, though. Inconclusive so far - terrific at Eden Park; much less so at Hamilton.
Agree but WE WANT HENRY. And Henry plus Bennett plus probably Neesham is perhaps too experimental even for a dead rubber.

Prob taking a softly-softly approach with Bennett's fitness anyway.