• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

pup11

International Coach
I haven't really dug into any stats but, if I'm not wrong almost every time Hughes has scored anything less than 30-35 runs the whole Australian batting line-up has struggled in general, so its definitely not a case of him failing while everyone else around him are making big runs.

As Clarke said prior to the start of the series, India is probably the hardest place to start an innings and when you actually get a start its imperative that you make the most of it, Hughes has just not been able to get those starts primarily because of his lack of experience in these conditions and that's why its the likes of Warner, Cowan and Watson who really deserve a lot more criticism for having wasted as many starts as they have.

What we need to understand is that we just can't keep making changes for the sake of it, because let's face it that's all that we have been doing for the last 5-6 years now. For the next test what we need to do is go back to the good old basics and pick our four best bowlers, six best batsmen and the keeper and put the onus on them to do their job, because atm this whole business of picking these bits and pieces cricketers in the test team is something that has been brutally exposed in this series so far.

watson

Banned
Hughes' technique has come a million miles in the last 12 months. He's fine against pace bowling now. He's no good against spin bowling in these conditions.

There is no way you can advocate the continued selection of Cowan beyond this series, especially on the basis of 40 odd runs where he was consistently bogged down, just fighting for his life to survive, and not rotating the strike. His job is to see off the new ball, but he rarely does that any more.

Hughes has proved he can play pace bowling over the past few months (I assume you have been watching him in domestic cricket?) and demands selection beyond this tour.
AUS V RSA 2011/12: Ave = 29.25
AUS V NZ 2011/12: Ave = 10.25
AUS V SL 2012/13: Ave = 46.60

Perhaps, but I doubt it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's hard to perform so badly as to make MJ seem like a great option, but here we are
Worst case scenario is that he perfromed on par with Maxwell

If that had happened, everyone would be saying that he should be marked NTP again

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't have any problem dropping Hughes right now. It would be a similar dropping to Lyon. In that you'll be back into the team pretty soon, presumably.

How **** does that new baking show on channel 9 look? That dude that played Kenny is a real cork soaker.
how come we don't have any banking shows?

benchmark00

AUS V RSA 2011/12: Ave = 29.25
AUS V NZ 2011/12: Ave = 10.25
AUS V SL 2012/13: Ave = 46.60

Perhaps, but I doubt it.
So you've shown stats which illustrate his improvement?

No stats will actually show his improvement properly. To get a full understanding you have to watch him play an innings before his technique change and after. It's worlds apart.

That's not to say he doesn't have deficiencies because he does, but he's in Australia's best six batsmen.

No, that's stupid. It's also stupid to say he is 'fine against pace bowling' now for the same reason.
I follow domestic cricket, I've seen him bat, he is a very different player now. That's doesnt guarantee his success, but he's in a far better spot than he was in the first half of his career.

benchmark00

Ftr I'm also fine with dropping Hughes for these last two matches. He's shot.

The only way you'd play him (given a full squad) is to get more experience for the future. I can't see him making a meaningful contribution for the rest of this series.

uvelocity

International Coach
fox news showing the bois centre wicket nets earlier. two things i took from it

the chick on there is an idiot
johnson was bowling to smith #teamchanges

Top_Cat

It's hard to comprehend how **** Siddle bowled. The conditions don't make a guy bowl 80% of his deliveries on or outside leg stump. Yeah he may have been looking for swing to start off with, but take the hint ffs.
Yeah, perfect example of how scorecard reading just misses so much. On the face of it, Siddle wasn't hurt too badly by India piling on 500+. He was going at 2/over when the partnership started and they were being cautious but once they got going, he was cod ordinary against them. Gameplan seemed to be to tuck them up but he's not getting enough seam movement these days to do that, certainly has little going away from the bat right now.

Yeah the last Test had a pudding pie deck but this one had good pace and carry. Siddle still lacked the zip Pattinson and even Moises had. His pace is very predictable right now.

pup11

International Coach
I don't have any problem dropping Hughes right now. It would be a similar dropping to Lyon. In that you'll be back into the team pretty soon, presumably.

how come we don't have any banking shows?
Lyon really doesn't have to compete with anyone for a spot given the current spin stocks but for Hughes if he is dropped now and the guy replacing him comes in and starts averaging 30 (because that seems to be the new bechmark), then Hughes probably could have to spend another 12-18 months on the sidelines serving as the official waterboy to the team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if Smith will play the next Test. Think he could surprise a few people with his batting. Khawaja MUST play and I would play Johnson too.

Cowan Warner Khawaja Clarke Smith Wade Henriques Johnson Pattinson Lyon Doherty

That's the XI from the squad I think we will pick assuming Watto leaves. Ideally I would want 6 genuine bats but the bowlers are struggling just as much.

Spikey

Yeah, perfect example of how scorecard reading just misses so much. On the face of it, Siddle wasn't hurt too badly by India piling on 500+.
it was like a return to the 2010-11 Ashes

so i guess if he does play next test, he'll take 6

Top_Cat

tbh, Siddle's lack of away-going movement has been a long-standing problem. You'd hope he'd have picked up a dangerous leg-cutter by now a la McG but it hasn't happened. Without it, he'll keep having to bowl big overs for his wickets. He's just not going to be as much a threat against blokes all the way through their innings, will always be relying on a very new or very old ball for his wickets. Being left far too easily for mine.

Ruckus

International Captain
He's just lost a lot of his pace. They say Siddle runs in hard, but he isn't doing it anymore.