• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
If that was the plan, it's a **** plan. He needs to remember to score runs even whilst playing safe. They are not mutually exclusive and an ODI batsman of his calibre should know that.
Well I agree with that. I don't think it was a particularly terrible innings though, just a horrible situation to be in. IMO in that situation the senior batsman has a responsibility to play basically test cricket for 5-10 overs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I agree with that. I don't think it was a particularly terrible innings though, just a horrible situation to be in. IMO in that situation the senior batsman has a responsibility to play basically test cricket for 5-10 overs.
5 overs, yeah.

15-20... not so much.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah nothing wrong with what Dhoni did. I mean yeah, ideally you'd like to be scoring singles while ensuring your wicket is in tact, but it's beside the point because he could easily manage the run rate if he was still in.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
5 overs, yeah.

15-20... not so much.
Yeah agreed. Only reason I'm harping on about this is that I've seen Dhoni play like that dozens of times in that situation, only to explode later and win the match.

Anyway, game is still being played here. Do or die for Pathan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah nothing wrong with what Dhoni did. I mean yeah, ideally you'd like to be scoring singles while ensuring your wicket is in tact, but it's beside the point because he could easily manage the run rate if he was still in.
They weren't going anywhere at all though! Just using up balls. I mean, they were going at 1-2 an over for a while - that will achieve nothing at all.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They weren't going anywhere at all though! Just using up balls. I mean, they were going at 1-2 an over for a while - that will achieve nothing at all.
But that section of an ODI game is actually not important whatsoever when you're chasing a total.

Dhoni didn't need to try and score. Literally you could go at 1.5 an over for ten overs in that section and it wouldn't matter, as long as you have wickets in hand for the last say, 15 overs. Especially chasing only 250.

As I said, idealy you'd like to be ticking over at 5 an over at that point, but it really is not important when you're chasing 250, considering that you can get 130 in the last 15 with wickets in hand.

Spark

Global Moderator
But that section of an ODI game is actually not important whatsoever when you're chasing a total.

Dhoni didn't need to try and score. Literally you could go at 1.5 an over for ten overs in that section and it wouldn't matter, as long as you have wickets in hand for the last say, 15 overs. Especially chasing only 250.

As I said, idealy you'd like to be ticking over at 5 an over at that point, but it really is not important when you're chasing 250, considering that you can get 130 in the last 15 with wickets in hand.
It's not all or nothing though. Even if they were going at 3 an over, picking up a single here and there - which is not hard at all - that'd have been ok.