• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

egalite2k6

Cricket Spectator
I think the Indian selectors should take a cue from Inverarity and drop Tendulkar if he dosen't retire on his own after the CB Series. Giving him the choice to pick and choose ODIs is giving the message that he is bigger than the game itself which is a shame. The best time to retire from ODIs for Tendulkar was when India won the World Cup last year. Its is embarrasing for me as a passionate cricket fan to see him fail miserably each time he comes out to bat. He won't retire on his own as he is after that bloody 100 centuries personal milestone rather than playing for the country.

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently it's not necessarily permanent ftr. So maybe if he does score 150 next match, who knows.

===

"Ricky Ponting has been dropped from the ODI side and the national selection panel has spoken about moving towards the 2015 World Cup," he said. "The door is never closed on anybody, but it's a strong indication there. We were very keen for Ricky to play in these games because we intended to blend in some younger players, and his influence for them has been remarkable. But we need to at some stage move on.

"We're not ruling him out because one never knows what's around the corner … but we've certainly got 2015 in mind, and we knew at the beginning of the series when we wanted those young players to be blended in, in the presence of Ricky.

"In elite sport there's no place for sentiment. There are always the two schools of thought, going out on your own terms and that, and the members of the national selection panel were unanimous in their view. It was discussed by email last night, a few calls last night and was confirmed this morning. That's the decision and that's elite sport."

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm sounds like he said that just as a bit of a formality really. Seriously doubt he'd be recalled again, unless there were a ridiculous amount of injuries or something.

pup11

International Coach
And yet you rail against Ponting's axing? :wacko:
Mate Ponting is not some guy in his 30's who struck some form after ages of mediocrity on the back which he got into the Australian side, he is an absolute legend of the game he had basically earned the right to decide about his future.

The way he has been pushed around in the side after he lost his captaincy has been a joke, we made him open then push him back at #3, we demoted him in test line-up for likes Marsh, we recently forced captaincy down his throat when he clearly didn't want it yet he kept doing it all because he is team man but the selection committee unfortunately failed to show him the same courtesy.

It still would have been easy to digest had Ponting been making way for a bloke like Hughes, Maddinson, Uzi or Lynn who have the pedigree and youth on their sides to become great players and serve Australia for a long time but that too hasn't been the case.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mate Ponting is not some guy in his 30's who struck some form after ages of mediocrity on the back which he got into the Australian side, he is an absolute legend of the game he had basically earned the right to decide about his future.

The way he has been pushed around in the side after he lost his captaincy has been a joke, we made him open then push him back at #3, we demoted him in test line-up for likes Marsh, we recently forced captaincy down his throat when he clearly didn't want it yet he kept doing it all because he is team man but the selection committee unfortunately failed to show him the same courtesy.

It still would have been easy to digest had Ponting been making way for a bloke like Hughes, Maddinson, Uzi or Lynn who have the pedigree and youth on their sides to become great players and serve Australia for a long time but that too hasn't been the case.
Wait

Mate Ponting is not some guy in his 30's who struck some form after ages of mediocrity
:lol:

You couldn't make it up.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Umesh Yadav is now in dreadful form. Can't bowl straight, can't finish ten overs without seven boundaries and a six hit. Would you continue with him? I'd prefer they stick to him for the rest of the series, so that he bowls himself back in form. He'll enjoy bowling to the Lankans more than the Aussies, though he should bowl with the new ball- Dhoni has him bowling second-change, or even third-change, after part-timers and extended part-timers.

India can think of playing four pacers against the Lankans- it will work more against them than the Aussies. Fair, the Lankans' attempt at the same didn't work against India, but the Indians can try. Ashwin to come in for Jadeja.
I think the Indian selectors should take a cue from Inverarity and drop Tendulkar if he dosen't retire on his own after the CB Series. Giving him the choice to pick and choose ODIs is giving the message that he is bigger than the game itself which is a shame. The best time to retire from ODIs for Tendulkar was when India won the World Cup last year. Its is embarrasing for me as a passionate cricket fan to see him fail miserably each time he comes out to bat. He won't retire on his own as he is after that bloody 100 centuries personal milestone rather than playing for the country.
Greg Chappell era comes to mind...

They can't afford it, though. Even if he isn't scoring runs, he can guide Raina, Rohit, Kohli, Rahane, Pujara and Tiwary (but not Jadeja- broker masquerading as a cricketer) in tours, so that they can step up. He's still a more reliable player than the rest of the next generation.

pup11

International Coach
I love how in pup11's eyes everything is an anti-Ponting conspiracy.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed how he thinks Dussey (!?) and Forrest should be dropped instead.

In33d.
You keep saying that performance is the criteria for selection but if that were to be the case then blokes like Forrest and Dussey had no business of being in the side in the first place.

Spark

Global Moderator
And so you're now advocating dropping them, when they've been our two best batsmen, for someone who's not passed single figures once this series.

Yeah, OK.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You keep saying that performance is the criteria for selection but if that were to be the case then blokes like Forrest and Dussey had no business of being in the side in the first place.
And yet you're calling for Maddinson, Hughes and Lynn to be selected if anyone - players with far, far inferior records this season.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where I def agree that Forrest and Dussey were very lucky to get picked in the squad, you can't fault their performances so far. (And I've tried). Unless Ponting wants to take up dart spin bowling there's not much of a contest between himself and Dussey currently. Meanwhile Forrest has A) Form and B) Age on his side. Ponting currently has nothing going for him. Starc scored more runs in their 5 games

And it's of course worth noting that the person we're batting at number 7 in this team could very easily be batting higher up the order. So Ponting's up against three opponents and defeats none of them. It was a very simply call to drop Ponting. The only thing to consider was whether to phrase it was a rest or as a dropping.

Ruckus

International Captain
If Jackson Bird ever gets picked, but then is dropped, would it be called a bird dropping? thank you, i'll be here till Friday.

pup11

International Coach
And so you're now advocating dropping them, when they've been our two best batsmen, for someone who's not passed single figures once this series.

Yeah, OK.
Forrest is an average batsman especially for the limited overs format and I'm not sure even with Ponting gone he is gonna get anymore chances in this series, Dussey is a superb batsman on his day but he too is hardly a model of consistency and at 34 he is not a long-term player either.

If the purpose was to drop the 'dead weight' of Ponting from the side the selectors have done that but lets not make it sound as if we are doing this to build a side for the future.

Spark

Global Moderator
Forrest is an average batsman especially for the limited overs format and I'm not sure even with Ponting gone he is gonna get anymore chances in this series, Dussey is a superb batsman on his day but he too is hardly a model of consistency and at 34 he is not a long-term player either.

If the purpose was to drop the 'dead weight' of Ponting from the side the selectors have done that but lets not make it sound as if we are doing this to build a side for the future.
Illuminating.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Look at this way; while there's a very realistic chance of Ponting playing in the next Ashes you'd have to say the odds on him playing on til the next WC were always pretty remote.

pup11

International Coach
And yet you're calling for Maddinson, Hughes and Lynn to be selected if anyone - players with far, far inferior records this season.
Why not!? Its not as if the players we are picking are on the basis of their records, so as long as we are doing that we should just pick players with more pedigree and talent, if I'm not wrong a bloke like Uzi has scored two list A centuries in his last two knocks for the Blues and Hughes too has done pretty well in the coloured clothing, so its not as if we would be picking total misfits.

pup11

International Coach
breaking news: michael clarke, after inhaling a sizeable amount of cocaine, stormed into john inverarity's house and demanded ricky ponting be sacked

Intent.
Sure it wasn't angel dust because he doesn't look like a coke man to me!!