• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

howardj

International Coach
This is a ****ing disgrace to humiliate our best ever OD batsman and captain in such fashion, if they didn't see him playing any part in the future of Australian cricket then they should have told him this before the start of the series but to cut him off like this in the middle of the series is something both he and Australian cricket could have done without.

Frankly speaking I hope Ponting retires from test cricket too after this because its kind of clear that they are going to treat him like dirt and as Ponting fan won't want him to go through this all over again.
Ponting is not a wanker.

He knows by playing on, he risks getting dropped.

He knows the cut throat nature of professional sport.

He knows that performances are paramount.

He wouldn't, I dare say, have it any other way.

Ruckus

International Captain
This is a ****ing disgrace to humiliate our best ever OD batsman and captain in such fashion, if they didn't see him playing any part in the future of Australian cricket then they should have told him this before the start of the series but to cut him off like this in the middle of the series is something both he and Australian cricket could have done without.

Frankly speaking I hope Ponting retires from test cricket too after this because its kind of clear that they are going to treat him like dirt and as Ponting fan won't want him to go through this all over again.
Pfft what a load of emotionally fuelled drivel. I'm actually really starting to like these selectors now. They made a bold, and completely justified imo, decision to drop Ponting, one which Hilditch no doubt would have never had the balls to do. What they have done now is set up a system of selection where everyone knows, no matter who they are, that the same rules are going to apply to them. There's no sentimentality, no bias, just a good decision based on a player who is in terrible form and can be replaced by better performers. It's as simple as that.

Ponting has been a champion OD player, and always will be, but this is as good a time as any for him to depart. He'll also get to focus solely on test cricket now, which is the format we really do need him to perform in.

pup11

International Coach
Top stuff from the selectors - seems like performances on the field are now the criteria

If Hilditch was still around I reckon 2 of Forrest/Dussey/Christian would've been dumped
Give me a break!!! This selection committee is doing little other than putting up stop gap measures, they have pretty much forgotten about all the good young players maybe just because they were picked under the Hilditch era, their views are short sighted and they just have this goal of somehow winning at present even if that comprises the side in the longer run.

Spark

Global Moderator
One thing I'm still a little wary of (and whilst it wouldn't have been my call, I don't think it's a bad one) is the fact that Clarke is on the panel. That's... hmm.

OFC he could make 150 in the Ryobi Cup final and earn a recall.

howardj

International Coach
Give me a break!!! This selection committee is doing little other than putting up stop gap measures, they have pretty much forgotten about all the good young players maybe just because they were picked under the Hilditch era, their views are short sighted and they just have this goal of somehow winning at present even if that comprises the side in the longer run.
And yet you rail against Ponting's axing? :wacko:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm.

Let's look at the "Hilditch era" young players.

Cummins - injured
Pattinson - injured
Starc - playing
Hughes - ...
Khawaja - ...
Ferguson - has been in **** form all season

The WC is three years away ffs.

howardj

International Coach
Hmm.

Let's look at the "Hilditch era" young players.

Cummins - injured
Pattinson - injured
Starc - playing
Hughes - ...
Khawaja - ...
Ferguson - has been in **** form all season

The WC is three years away ffs.
And Smith

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Selectors are showing intent.

pup11

International Coach
Pfft what a load of emotionally fuelled drivel. I'm actually really starting to like these selectors now. They made a bold, and completely justified imo, decision to drop Ponting, one which Hilditch no doubt would have never had the balls to do. What they have done now is set up a system of selection where everyone knows, no matter who they are, that the same rules are going to apply to them. There's no sentimentality, no bias, just a good decision based on a player who is in terrible form and can be replaced by better performers. It's as simple as that.

Ponting has been a champion OD player, and always will be, but this is as good a time as any for him to depart. He'll also get to focus solely on test cricket now, which is the format we really do need him to perform in.
So after the world cup or even before this series didn't the selectors know that Ponting didn't fit into the larger scheme of things or were they just waiting for a slump to conveniently get rid of him?

Transparency is a two way road and when you bring in blokes like Dussey and Forrest who have done absolutely nothing in the recent ODD seasons into the ODI side and then drop a legend like Ponting who obviously wanted to play on then it does little else but present a murky picture.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
breaking news: michael clarke, after inhaling a sizeable amount of cocaine, stormed into john inverarity's house and demanded ricky ponting be sacked

Intent.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't really get the anti-stop gap measures argument tbh. For batsmen at least, the fact is for tests there really aren't many good young players warranting selection atm. Seriously who is there that actually should be in the team on a permanent basis? Hughes? No. He is probably a good year or two away from potentially being a suitable candidate again. Khawaja? Possibly. I def think he should be given a few more goes, but it's quite likely he won't be ready just yet either. Then who else is there after those two? Hardly anyone who really looks the real deal. Having a few relatively stable and successful stop-gap batsmen atm is moment is exactly what we need really. We need to somehow scrap our way through for a few years which will hopefully be enough time to allow better options to emerge.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So after the world cup or even before this series didn't the selectors know that Ponting didn't fit into the larger scheme of things or were they just waiting for a slump to conveniently get rid of him?

Transparency is a two way road and when you bring in blokes like Dussey and Forrest who have done absolutely nothing in the recent ODD seasons into the ODI side and then drop a legend like Ponting who obviously wanted to play on then it does little else but present a murky picture.
Oh wait, so you're ridiculing the selectors for picking our two most successful batsmen in the series? FFS, Ponting's scored 15-odd runs in 4 matches, I doubt its politically-motivated, he just hasn't scored the runs. We have plenty of blokes in ODD cricket who can score more than that.

Ponting is a legend, no doubt, and he still has a place in the Australian side - however, he does still have to prove his worth and play well enough to get a spot in the side.

Disagree he should quit tests though - he's still in the top 6 FC batsmen in the country IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
I love how in pup11's eyes everything is an anti-Ponting conspiracy.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed how he thinks Dussey (!?) and Forrest should be dropped instead.

In33d.