• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never realised Strauss's record was quite so good as captain. I knew he'd done enough to justify his spot in that time but I didn't know he was quite as good as averaging 40 and striking at 87.
Ahh, drops to 37/82 if you only include top 8 teams. Still good, mind, but more what I imagined.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True. The reason I investigated it was purely because I was answering Pickup's question as to whether he's our best ODI batsman; one of the things I really like about Cook is his ability to score quickly without seeming to make much effort to do so. The reason I looked over his stats was because I wanted to check whether my impression of Cook scoring quickly when he makes a good score was actually true or if it was just a case of "I remember him doing it a couple of times, so therefore he's always done it."
I think a bit of dot-ball percentage analysis on Cook pre- and post-captaincy would be revealing.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good win but means nothing unless they back it up and win the series. Finn just shows the depth we have in the pace bowling ranks now. Top stuff from him and Cook.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think a bit of dot-ball percentage analysis on Cook pre- and post-captaincy would be revealing.
For starters...

Code:
                Mat  Inns  NO  Runs   HS   Ave    BF    SR   100   50   0   4s  6s

is captain	 19   19   2   893   137  52.52	 958   93.21   2    7   1  101	 2
is not captain	 23   23   0   702   102  30.52	1030   68.15   1    3	3   77   0

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol... 2 off 8 Vs dnb and 4/34.. I know whom I wud have taken.

Look, Morgan is a gun in ODIs and I wont drop him here. But in tests, it was juz bleeding obvious he was out of his depth. I think anyone, ANYONE, would have been an improvement on him from this English squad, except maybe Bopara.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Never realised Strauss's record was quite so good as captain. I knew he'd done enough to justify his spot in that time but I didn't know he was quite as good as averaging 40 and striking at 87.
Why I was against Cook becoming captain, even though I wanted him in the side. He'd only just got that 158 against India too, which was one of the best ODI innings I'd ever seen by an England player.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gayle's record really takes the cake though.

And just look at Vaughan's...

Cruxdude

International Debutant
What a thumping this one. Cook beat Pakistan by 7 runs. Respect for Cook just grows. Is made captain in a format many thought he was not suited for and has he shown his class or what.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How the hell did Taufel miss that?

That's what DRS is there for, not marginal LBWs.
His halo has slipped a little of late, hasn't it? Been getting several overturned on review.

Confirmed my opinion Rauf now the top boy.

Morgan may play better in coloured clothing.
Or not. Not at the races just now & needs to turn it round quickly.

Who's this Patel and why wasn't he in the WC?
Patel wasn't at the WC because he was busy eating, as far as I can remember.
Judging by the bounce of his heft when he dropped Afridi I think it's a reasonable guess that he's still seeing the pies behind the fitness coach's back.

Anyway, good win and a(nother) good bowling performance. Cook's magnificent innings really only papered over the cracks in the batting tho. Credit to Ravinder for sticking at it, but it wasn't exactly a chanceless fifty, was it?

Woodster

International Captain
Just a couple of observations from the last dozen or so pages I've just read. The talking pointas are Cook scoring too slowly, or it being a problem with him and Trott batting in the latter stages of an innings ? And obviously Bopara shouldn't be anywhere near this side.

Cook today made an outstanding 137 off 142 balls, and Bopara who has been exceptionally short of real match practice in recent months goes out and makes a half-century at the first time of asking, just aswell he did because his and Cook's partnership of 131 in 24.3 overs was the only real partnership of the game. Thank goodness someone gave Cook some support.

While there may be occasions when these issues are more prevalent, today does not appear to be one of them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
To be fair, most of the discussion on Cook's slow scoring has been about trying to out such claims as tired and untrue.

On Bopara, he's done reasonably well today, but I think people are somewhat justifiably wearied by his "good" days being notably less impressive than everyone else's. Today was a good contribution, but it can't really be described as much of a good innings.

Woodster

International Captain
To be fair, most of the discussion on Cook's slow scoring has been about trying to out such claims as tired and untrue.

On Bopara, he's done reasonably well today, but I think people are somewhat justifiably wearied by his "good" days being notably less impressive than everyone else's. Today was a good contribution, but it can't really be described as much of a good innings.
To be fair our batting in this series has been so below par, don't think we're in a position to knock a fortunate half-century! We will surely take that anyway it comes, sure a textbook innings would have been great, but come on, beggars can't be choosers! I appreciate that innings does not make Bopara an automatic selection, but credit for grinding out a score when others couldn't despite his lack of cricket.

Yes I appreciate much of the Cook debate was trying to focus on how quickly he scores, and his rate really should not be an issue, but it does seem as though it will always be around him.