• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have a solution. Practice Nets. Finn to Pietersen.

Scenario: it's the last ball of your spell. You have 4/29.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm actually fairly confident Buttler will get a shot at some point. It seems madness to drag him over to the UAE and then leave him on the bench, split webbing notwithstanding.

Although I was almost equally confident Ravi would be picked for the third test, so my selectorial antenna isn't quite tuned to the same channel as the powers that be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nope.. I have already explained my reasoning. I am yet to hear anything concrete from the opposite camp except, well, he is a batsman and you don't replace a batsman with a bowler nonsense.
No, you have heard many times a perfectly reasonable and logical reason why what you were suggesting was pure and utter tripe, but you refused to accept it.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Can we move on from this stupid debate regarding Finn playing the tests because the tests are over and England should have won 2-1 (but they didn't). :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
really unhappy with the od team composition Malik, Younis and Farhat add nothing ton the team Umer Akmal is the best od batsman in the side let him concentrate on his main skill at this time and leave the keeping to the blokes who regularly do the job.

Loved the Finn spell I was glad he did not get a game in the tests could have done real damage.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan playing discipline cricket in tests

Eng winning an ODI

Cook playing a cover drive

Bizarro world in full swing

ganeshran

International Debutant
England should look forward to batting first in all the matches. Pakistan are experts at defending low totals.

Dont know how Malik gets so many chances. Never looks at ease at the crease

Arachnodouche

International Captain
How do you replace a batsman with a bowler? Is Finn a half decent bat even? You give whoever you're carrying on the tour a shot instead.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite sure we're better at chasing, thanks to the lack of tactics/ODI experience/settled order/quality in the batting lineup. It's been the one thing that's consistent about the ODI side over the last few years, they have basically never set a commanding total and have relied on either the opposition to set the pace for them or the new ball to do the damage for them.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Hmm maybe thinking about it, I'm mentally scared from the Test series chase :wacko: still wouldn't fancy England chasing over in the UAE against the spinners.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As a Pak fan I can say this was expected after Eng posted 250+ our batting is just too brittle! We have the talent but seems the only way we seem to chase and win is when someone takes us over the line somewhat single handedly! I think Pak are suffering as they don't seem to have any clearly defined roles for each batsmen which needs to be sorted out! IMO the team should be:

1. Hafeez - great odi bowler but he seems quite all or nothing in terms of his batting. I now he's been quite consistent in the last year but these performances have hardly been against the best teams (in ODIs) he has the talent he needs to become more ruthless as a batter these pretty 40's ain't gna cut it! Once he sorts this out he'll be fine (fingers crossed!)
2. Insert opener here! Farhat clearly isn't good enough, we have Nasir Jamshed, Rameez Raja Jr, heck even Fawad Alam! Not saying these guys should walk in to the team but I think that we need to pick an opener show him belief and give him some confidence and hopefully whoever it is takes their opportunity.
3. Shoaib Malik. For the life of me I don't know why they are fanning around with his batting position. If were gna pick him play him at 3. During the Bob Woolmer era he was our number 3 in ODIs and was one of our most consistent performers! I mean 140 odd against India in Asia cup 120 odd in SAF champions trophy, the guy can bat put him where he's best, he should hopefully add experience at the loss of an early wicket aswell.
4. Younis Khan. Class player, people say he scores too slowly but way he loses in boundary hitting he can have a 90 odd SR from singles and doubles alone.
5. Umar Akmal. Obvious talent starts to add some aggression I think 5 is his place will only get better with time.
6. Misbah. I know people may find this position a bit low for him but I think this works in two ways. Firstly he's still in the bank as it were if there's a collapse and can play his accumulation role. Secondly if he comes in at 45 overs he can hit the ball, let's not forget his T20 exploits.
7. Afridi. Has shown he's not to fond of batting nowdays and wants to focus on his bowling, fine. This position also allows him to finish an innings batting in the final few. I think if he's given this brief he will answer the call more times than not.
8. Riaz/Junaid. Depends on teams requirement not too much impact batting wise although Riaz has more batting talent. Gul would move up one if Junaid plays.
9. Gul.
10. Ajmal.
11. Abdur Rehman/Sohail Tanvir/Any other bowler required. These players would alter batting line up slightly depending on selection.

I think if Pak stuck to this batting line up with their clearly defined roles and showed some application they should do well. They will always take wickets jut need to consistently score some runs!!!!