• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Trying to keep and captain is ridiculous. Wears you down even when you're playing at village level.

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember ABdV keeping when England were in SA in 2004/05, so it's not totally new to him.

Wasn't Parnell meant to catch that?
Think he may have kept in one of the tests when Boucher was injured.

Briony

International Debutant
SA was derailed a bit by Smith trying to bat himself into form but in fairness to them it was tougher to bat first and both captains wanted to bowl.

AB played a super innings, the best ODI innings in some time but SA's bowlers were profligate again.

Their experimentation obviously cost them the last two matches but maybe they have one eye on the future, though there is plenty of work to be done if they're to be a good and consistent one day unit.

Two consolation victories for SL against an opponent which rested three of its best players but that shouldn't disguise what has been another wretched tour - loss in the ODIs, including being embarrassingly bowled out for forty-three chasing over three hundred, two thumping losses in tests with a solitary victory in Durban which was expected given that SA doesn't win there anymore.

Did Marsh deserve to be sacked? - probably not. Though it's hard to expect much out of a corrupt board which struggles to pay its players.

Briony

International Debutant
Should be the last ODIs that Albie and Robbie P play (in a while). As long as the think tank believe Albie can bowl, then he has no international future while P can't give the side 10 overs, so what's the point?

Sri Lanka unlucky not to take the series 3-2. South Africa only looked ace under the lights in Paarl. On the roads that followed they haven't looked like taking a wicket.

AB hasn't kept well all series.

Isn't he picked for his all-round qualities though? Agree his bowling is pop gunnish but surely his virture is being the power hitter which they've lacked. He didn't get much time yesterday though because Smith batted slowly in the context of the match and used up too many overs, notwithstanding it was tougher earlier and du Plessis did likewise.

Lankans not really unlucky given that they managed to get bowled out for forty-three, the opposition rested many players and the pitches for most of the tour were more to their, than SA's liking.

In reality, they've been weak since the chucker retired.

Migara

International Coach
SL can be happy with 2-3. It was almost 3 - 2, and if Senanayake played on those two dodgy pitches in 2nd and 3rd ODIs, the result might have been different. Chandimal and Thirimanne are big plus points. Now this will put pressure on MJ to perform. MJ must have had his sights on opening slot, but Tharanga has sealed it with this series. But Mathews' form is worrying.

Bowling, duh, is a problem. But SL have to play to their strengths and that always have been playing two wicket taking spinners and host of slow bowling batsmen. Herath did well, but doesn't belong to ODI game. Randiv should replace him ASAP, which will give batting depth as well.

Briony

International Debutant
Migara;2768077[B said:
]SL can be happy with 2-3. It was almost 3 - 2,[/B] and if Senanayake played on those two dodgy pitches in 2nd and 3rd ODIs, the result might have been different. Chandimal and Thirimanne are big plus points. Now this will put pressure on MJ to perform. MJ must have had his sights on opening slot, but Tharanga has sealed it with this series. But Mathews' form is worrying.

Bowling, duh, is a problem. But SL have to play to their strengths and that always have been playing two wicket taking spinners and host of slow bowling batsmen. Herath did well, but doesn't belong to ODI game. Randiv should replace him ASAP, which will give batting depth as well.
You'd imagine though that SA might have treated the two dead rubbers a bit differently had they not already have won the series. Lanka is better off without Mahela in the shorter form.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't he picked for his all-round qualities though? Agree his bowling is pop gunnish but surely his virture is being the power hitter which they've lacked. He didn't get much time yesterday though because Smith batted slowly in the context of the match and used up too many overs, notwithstanding it was tougher earlier and du Plessis did likewise.

Lankans not really unlucky given that they managed to get bowled out for forty-three, the opposition rested many players and the pitches for most of the tour were more to their, than SA's liking.

In reality, they've been weak since the chucker retired.
He is but if Ingram and Faf are playing as batsman, then why can't Albie? Albie has a better FC record than both.

Worst result possible for South Africa, Smith scored runs and they lost a game in a manner which will hurt when they should have just lost by balls to spare. Bowling is a real concern. Have to get Botha back in there. He might not take wickets but he won't go for many.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On the whole SL should return with their heads held high. Wish I could say the same about India in their current tour :(

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn how good is AB in the shorter format? Averaging 47 with a SR of 93 is ridiculous, I knew his strike rate was good but 93 wtff..

Briony

International Debutant
He is but if Ingram and Faf are playing as batsman, then why can't Albie? Albie has a better FC record than both.

Worst result possible for South Africa, Smith scored runs and they lost a game in a manner which will hurt when they should have just lost by balls to spare. Bowling is a real concern. Have to get Botha back in there. He might not take wickets but he won't go for many.
Ingram looks ordinary and du Plessis doesn't appear to have a clear role. Surely they must have some better players in their system than this pair. Bowling is a bit smorgasbord at times and perhaps Smith should now bow out graciously and take his pension now he's proved a point to himself that he can still score a run or two. It should be about the future, not the past.

Briony

International Debutant
8ankitj;2768149[B said:
]On the whole SL should return with their heads held high.[/B] Wish I could say the same about India in their current tour :(
Rubbish, if they want to be a decent team how they can be content with the mediocrity of this tour which featured two test thumpings and a loss in the ODI series. To win the last two was a consolation of sorts but they were dead rubbers FFS.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You seem to really hate Mahela a lot. Any reason?
Well hate is a strong word. I have no issues with him as a person.. I even met him when he came to Australia in 2010..very nice bloke.. Its just that he is a flat track bully and an overrated batsman and I don't think he adds a lot of value to the Sri Lankan team overseas and too often people look at his record and think he is awesome without realizing how dire he is when the conditions are challenging overseas.
When I met him I told him "Sir I hope you score some runs in Australia this time". He still failed :laugh:

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Well hate is a strong word. I have no issues with him as a person.. I even met him when he came to Australia in 2010..very nice bloke.. Its just that he is a flat track bully and an overrated batsman and I don't think he adds a lot of value to the Sri Lankan team overseas and too often people look at his record and think he is awesome without realizing how dire he is when the conditions are challenging overseas.
When I met him I told him "Sir I hope you score some runs in Australia this time". He still failed :laugh:
Slightly harsh on Mahela IMO. I think he faces a stark choice: retire now with a batting average above 50 (which would give a slightly misleading impression of his abilities) or play on in a changed landscape in which more threatening bowlers and more sporting pitches see his average continue to plummet to 47-48 before he finally gets dropped.

That would be a real shame and not a fitting way to go given all he has done for Sri Lankan cricket. With Pattinson/Cummins/De Lange/Finn et al heralding a new wave of genuine fast bowling in Test cricket, and viable spin options in most teams, he really ought to retire as not only are these new quicks too good for him at this stage in his career but I have also noticed him becoming increasingly fallible to spin of late.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Slightly harsh on Mahela IMO. I think he faces a stark choice: retire now with a batting average above 50 (which would give a slightly misleading impression of his abilities) or play on in a changed landscape in which more threatening bowlers and more sporting pitches see his average continue to plummet to 47-48 before he finally gets dropped.
I would prefer that actually..he is a 40-45 player in my view and if his averages gets there, that would be a true reflection of him as a batsman.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Damn how good is AB in the shorter format? Averaging 47 with a SR of 93 is ridiculous, I knew his strike rate was good but 93 wtff..
I caught a bit of yesterday's ODI and was amazed at AB's strokeplay as well. He and Amla are truly exceptional in this format.