• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

MrPrez

International Debutant
Didn't say I agreed with it, just that it is their reasoning. Assuming they didn't want/need to rest AB, it would be the best option, otherwise, I agree with you.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I'd guess "AB as keeper" is a pretty small sample size as of now tho, isn't it?

Interesting anyway. I imagine for all the other players who've had significant keeper/not keeper careers the reverse is true. Is for Stewart and Sanga anyway.
To be fair he's only really started keeping for a year and a bit right? Reckon he's a much better player now than he was a few years ago.

It seems often that keeping and captaincy takes a while to get to people though. It's almost as though at first players enjoy the extra responsibility but after a while it starts to fatigue them. Strauss's form improved when he got the captaincy, however, you feel that now it's perhaps effecting him.

Will be interesting to see how de Villiers and Michael Clarke cope with their relatively new roles in the long term.

kingkallis

International Coach
So Petersen could not give a strong / solid start to the Saffers, why cant they go for Vilas or Kuhn or van Wyk? I think all these players are comfortable opening for their franchises.

This will let AB concentrate on his batting and captaincy...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Should be the last ODIs that Albie and Robbie P play (in a while). As long as the think tank believe Albie can bowl, then he has no international future while P can't give the side 10 overs, so what's the point?

Sri Lanka unlucky not to take the series 3-2. South Africa only looked ace under the lights in Paarl. On the roads that followed they haven't looked like taking a wicket.

AB hasn't kept well all series.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair he's only really started keeping for a year and a bit right? Reckon he's a much better player now than he was a few years ago.

It seems often that keeping and captaincy takes a while to get to people though. It's almost as though at first players enjoy the extra responsibility but after a while it starts to fatigue them. Strauss's form improved when he got the captaincy, however, you feel that now it's perhaps effecting him.

Will be interesting to see how de Villiers and Michael Clarke cope with their relatively new roles in the long term.
Trying to keep and captain is ridiculous. Wears you down even when you're playing at village level.

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember ABdV keeping when England were in SA in 2004/05, so it's not totally new to him.

Wasn't Parnell meant to catch that?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Cricinfo keeping its commentary as dire as ever.

New man Nuwan on strike. Robin Peterson given the ball, that's a big decision from AB. Tsotsobe has overs to spare,. Long-on, long-off, deep midwicket and deep square leg.
Totatlly ignoring that said Seamer has gone for nearly 8 an over.

And go figure the gamble is working.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whatever happens here, respect to AB for having the cojones to set the field like that and make these bowling changes at this stage of the game.

Additionally, respect to Senanayake for having the balls to block the first ball, then hit the second, hard.

What a bizarre, bizarre last few overs...

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whew, almost choked. Too much of South African air in the lungs maybe, now get out of there ASAP boys.

Such a shame that Marsh is going. Too much political influence will never get you anywhere. Hopefully the new guy can get going quickly.