• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Stapel

International Regular
So for those who are watching what's the reasoning behind Tahir bowling so many overs?

From someone looking at the bare stats it seems a rather bizarre distribution of overs for a first day with a team of South Africa's seam options, playing at home, against a team like Sri Lanka. I realise Tahir had a c&b chalked off and a possible stumping, but he also had a Dilshan freebie and he's not set the world alight yet in his career.
None of the old ball bowling looked really threatening.

But Tahir had Samaraweera dropped short to the slips, Chandimal dropped by De Lange and a few near edges.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Marchant has really impressed me. He can get it up to 145 clicks from a few paces. Thats an impressive feat surely. Looking at our pace bowlers at domestic level, it seems there cupboard is almost full. Not many people know him but theres a young fella called Hardus Viljoen, bowls serious heat. In the next year or so he will be challenging for a spot.

SeamUp

International Coach
Marchant is not afraid to bowl a yorker as well...and a very good one at that. It seems to be a dying art in the game in recent years.

SeamUp

International Coach
de Lange's action is a stress fracture waiting to happen.

Dollars to doughnuts he's had back "issues" already.

Big strong looking boy tho.

Never confused, etc.
He was javelin thrower in his high school days.

But broke both his ankles as he was about to be called up to SA u19 cricket side a couple of years ago.

At least he has no previous record of back problems.

Hopefully his career won't be prematurely ended like two potential stars were for us in Brett Schultz and Mfuneko Ngam due to stress fractures in the past.

Migara

International Coach
Some suggested that Sam was a FTB. Averaged 50 in last English tour, now doing well here as well. Haters can suck it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Haven't seen a Durban wicket lack so much in pace as this one and to go with it..hardly much sideways movement.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think CSA was much too happy with two recent tests ending in 2.5 days, probably gave the dictum to last the match.
Yeah, I looked at it in that way and that my have played a role. To me thats one of 3 options.

The other two,

Maybe, the SA brains trust could have also said that they may have not learned much if they bowled out SRL for nothing on a green-top again. Find out a bit out on Tahir when he has responsibility on his shoulders. Get some miles into Dale and Morne's legs who actually haven't played enough cricket for the time we are into the season.

Or

If the pitch did a bit like last year against India...it could also bring the teams closer together.

Ideally not much sideways movement then but PACE with the bounce would have been nice!!

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Interesting take. Would have been better for cricket all around though if our batsmen were tested on a green top, who need bit more practice against ball moving around if we're to be prepared for England next year.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting take. Would have been better for cricket all around though if our batsmen were tested on a green top, who need bit more practice against ball moving around if we're to be prepared for England next year.
Most of our batsman play on the most difficult test surfaces ito facing swing/seam bowling for most of their career though.

Kepler Wessels says New Zealand are going to produce slow, grassy-top seamers for us so that series will be interesting. Think Vernon could be unplayable if he gets those.